Back From The Dead SLR

Rasputin

Both the Aussies and the Canadians had full auto SLRs. The FN FAL is the original concept that many other nations modified to fit their own requirements. The Aussies and the Brits had the L1, the Indian I think was the 1A1 I think, the Canadians the C1, the South Africans the R1, the Argies had the FM, the Brazilians the Imbel Fal, the Austrians had the StG 58 and a s**t load more.

The phrase SLR appears to now be used to highlight the diference between a Imperial FAL and the Metric FAL, Imperial being the L1 and possibly C1 (Not sure on the C1 but I assume its imperial, and the indian being a mix of both Metric and Imperial)

Did you eventually fix your recycling problem?

There was a Two stage armourers modification if all else failed on an old or 'Tired' SLR that failed to function correctly.

Stage One, was using Metric tapered reamers. You pulled the gas adjusting ring back & reamed out the gas block CAREFULLY. With a 2.6mm Reamer. Then used a 2.7mm Reamer as well.

Stamp the SIDE of the foresight gas block with a '1'. (Stage 1 mod gas port mod effected)

Use a bristle bore brush on a cleaning rod to remove any small metal flashing from inside the barrel in the gas port area.

Recheck the weapon funciton with some rounds.

If it still fails.

Do the same as above, ony use a 2.8mm Reamer. Then a 2.9mm Reamer & stamp the gas block with a '2'. (Stage 2 Mod effected)

This then SHOULD enable the rifle to function correctly. If it does NOT. (VERY Unusual not to!) Then you had best look at head spacing again!

BUT, the sizes I have given on a previous post, are absoutley CORRECT for an Brit Spec L1A1 SLR!

Please let us all onthe Forum, know how you progress with your 'remedy'!....

they are ALL full auto with a little TWEEK :cool2:

I've read that a full auto SLR is a bit a of a handful to shoot even halfway decently though?..

....Also.... I always understood the reason the Brits never had 'full auto' versions was because of the persistent old fashioned 'Staff' view that a British soldier couldn't be trusted not to 'waste' ammunition???.......

Personally speaking ..

..I always thought it was ridiculous that the British Soldier didn't get a self loading (never mind full auto) weapon as standard issue until 1957.... especially when the US issued the M1 Garand in 1942 ish and the Germans were issuing the Sturmgewehr by 1944 ..??? the writing was surely written large enough on the wall for even the most remote and detached Staff Officer to see wasn't it????

.....I've just read Lofty Larges book 'One mans war in Korea' and he certainly didn't have a very high opinion of being made to carry a bolt action Lee Enfield against the Chinese (who were more or less armed to a man with full auto weapons)............especially not when he found himself on Gloucester Hill........

I've read that a full auto SLR is a bit a of a handful to shoot even halfway decently though?..

....Also.... I always understood the reason the Brits never had 'full auto' versions was because of the persistent old fashioned 'Staff' view that a British soldier couldn't be trusted not to 'waste' ammunition???.......

Personally speaking ..

..I always thought it was ridiculous that the British Soldier didn't get a self loading (never mind full auto) weapon as standard issue until 1957.... especially when the US issued the M1 Garand in 1942 ish and the Germans were issuing the Sturmgewehr by 1944 ..??? the writing was surely written large enough on the wall for even the most remote and detached Staff Officer to see wasn't it????

.....I've just read Lofty Larges book 'One mans war in Korea' and he certainly didn't have a very high opinion of being made to carry a bolt action Lee Enfield against the Chinese (who were more or less armed to a man with full auto weapons)............especially not when he found himself on Gloucester Hill........

And yet, I read a recent report that in the Sandpit, a stupidly high percentage of rounds (well into the high 90s?) get nowhere near the target because squaddie simply selects auto and lets go. Ammo discipline is a long-lost concept.

Tangent. Look in Wikipedia for Right Arm of the Free World for a few interesting minutes' read.

Both the Aussies and the Canadians had full auto SLRs. The FN FAL is the original concept that many other nations modified to fit their own requirements. The Aussies and the Brits had the L1, ....

Chris,

The Australian Army used the L1A1 which was the semi automatic variant, not the full auto FAL.

The weapon was similar in almost all aspects to the British equivalent, though it was produced locally in Lithgow NSW.

Within corps other than Infantry, the L2A1 which was the heavy barrel version of the SLR, was occasionally available. Regular Infantry units had the far more capable GPMG M60.

Jack

Woops, what I meant to say was the Aussies and the Canadians had full auto SLRs in the L2A1 and C2A1. I wanted to get one of the L2A1s a few years back when they were cheap but I bought Brens instead, then they all dried up and I see there is a new batch come up for sale but dissapointingly they are L1A1 bodies with L1A1 flash hiders.