Back From The Dead SLR

Rasputin

Thanks! I just found a Hythe sight for it, so I'm going to have to disassemble the rear sight to get it on, then re-zero. The rear sight of the SLR can be a real pain in the butt to take apart!

A little off topic, but whats the general feelings about the stuff from SASS? I really like the smock so far, but have not really field tested it.

• 8 months later...

Hi to all,

while on the subject of the SLR. Dose anyone know where i might be able to buy either an early or late deac with wood furniture, would prefer a early deac but do not want to pay a kings ranson. I have looked on a few sites but always have sold out. Can anyone help.

Cheers

Steve.

Just a quick update;

I added a few things to the SLR such as the Hythe Sight, and an extra long buttplate. I started having some serious cycling issues, and the weapon would only run on setting 1 or even 0, so I dropped it off to the Smith that built it to do some tweaks. As soon as I get the old girl back, I'll post some new pictures.

Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on the later style of tritium foresight? I plan on installing one, and re-animating the tritium element.

sass have been going for a few years now and never once heard a bad thing about the kit. Bit pricey though. And not sure if members of the british sf have used there kit in the past. The thing i liked about there catalogues though , you could choose items to be added to your smock for a little extra money like knitted cuffs or secret pockets to hide silk maps. They where made to m.o.d. speck gaberdine so would last . And nice L1A1 , did my basic in 89 with one and much prefare it to the L85 A1 and A2 .

Just a quick update;

I added a few things to the SLR such as the Hythe Sight, and an extra long buttplate. I started having some serious cycling issues, and the weapon would only run on setting 1 or even 0, so I dropped it off to the Smith that built it to do some tweaks. As soon as I get the old girl back, I'll post some new pictures.

Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on the later style of tritium foresight? I plan on installing one, and re-animating the tritium element.

This means your rifle is not getting enough gas to cycle the action.

CHECK the cross pin that retains the gas cylinder has not worked it's way out of the gas block underneath.

Remove it & also check it is NOT split at the end that screws into the gas block.

Also check that there is a good butting up of the gas cylinder against it's female tunnel of the gas block. You DONT want excessive gas loss!

IF the fit of the gas cyl is good & it Still wont function. You MAY have to ream out the gas port.

Stage One is with a 2.6mm Reamer, Followed by 2.7mm if it then STILL wont function.

This job MUST be done with care. & I suggest a Gunsmith do the work rather than yourself. It is a little tricky!

If a reamer snapps off, you HAVE got REAL problems then!.............

I have done these jobs hunderds/Thousands of times. & USUALLY, it is the gas cylinder that is at fault!

Edited by ferretfixer

Thanks for that info! Here is what I tried on the operator level, and slightly beyond:

I removed the gas tube, and inspected...no cracks found. I did however notice the gas tube would move just a bit too much, so I carefully filed down the end that screws into the gasblock, and re-installed. Most of the play went away, but the problem persisted.

I re-checked the gas plug after firing twenty rounds to look for signs of excessive gas leakage...nothing found.

Using drill bits, I checked the size of the gas hole on the block...normal, and no blockage. I could have made a mistake here, but the Smith will check this again.

I measured the diameter of the gas piston, and this was well in spec. I then checked to see if there was any binding with the piston with the spring removed...no problems there.

On of the first things I did was to replace the gas piston spring. The recoil springs were new, properly lubed, and good to go.

When I emailed the Smith about the problem, he said the issue might be with the headspacing. He went on to say that he normally headspaces a little tight to account for the stretching of the receiver over the life of the weapon. I think this may be the issue, and other than the under gassing problem, the rifle is very accurate, and user friendly.

The guy who built this rifle for me is a well respected FAL Smith in the US, but usually works on and builds metric rifles. Inch pattern rifles are not rare, but are uncommon, and are usually built using metric receivers. Mine was built with a proper inch receiver using all British parts that were in excellent or better condition.

I'll be sure and update the progress here when its fixed, as I have to zero the SUIT sight, and I'm sure the former Squaddies that used this type of rifle would like too see how things are progressing, and maybe offer some pointers to the Yank.:laugh:

My brother, who lives in the US has a full auto slr, great fun with the 30 round mag!

Aside from the fact that if you used undoctored Bren mags they mis-fed regularly after 20 rounds (Bren was gravity feed, SLR was force feed - had to cross the armourers palm with yet more silver to get adapted mags made up...) the great fun with that combination was when you had to dive for cover and forgot what you were holding. The mag had an annoying habit of hitting the ground due to the extra length and stopping the weapon dead whilst your face was still moving towards it at a nifty velocity.... :red: :red:

Thanks for that info! Here is what I tried on the operator level, and slightly beyond:

I removed the gas tube, and inspected...no cracks found. I did however notice the gas tube would move just a bit too much, so I carefully filed down the end that screws into the gasblock, and re-installed. Most of the play went away, but the problem persisted.

I re-checked the gas plug after firing twenty rounds to look for signs of excessive gas leakage...nothing found.

Using drill bits, I checked the size of the gas hole on the block...normal, and no blockage. I could have made a mistake here, but the Smith will check this again.

I measured the diameter of the gas piston, and this was well in spec. I then checked to see if there was any binding with the piston with the spring removed...no problems there.

On of the first things I did was to replace the gas piston spring. The recoil springs were new, properly lubed, and good to go.

When I emailed the Smith about the problem, he said the issue might be with the headspacing. He went on to say that he normally headspaces a little tight to account for the stretching of the receiver over the life of the weapon. I think this may be the issue, and other than the under gassing problem, the rifle is very accurate, and user friendly.

The guy who built this rifle for me is a well respected FAL Smith in the US, but usually works on and builds metric rifles. Inch pattern rifles are not rare, but are uncommon, and are usually built using metric receivers. Mine was built with a proper inch receiver using all British parts that were in excellent or better condition.

I'll be sure and update the progress here when its fixed, as I have to zero the SUIT sight, and I'm sure the former Squaddies that used this type of rifle would like too see how things are progressing, and maybe offer some pointers to the Yank.:laugh:

Brit Headspace size's are: 1.6325" & 1.643". Good luck.

I've just gone all weak at the knees at the sight of such a weapon as yours.................er.....................um.........................bugger.................I meant of course the SLR.

Many an hour spent stripping and cleaning the beauty (well, each to his own) A pity I think, that there aren't a few of them on our side to sort those AK's out. But that's just my opinion, they certainly have stopping power but are a tad heavy and unwieldey.

• 3 months later...
My brother, who lives in the US has a full auto slr, great fun with the 30 round mag!

A full Auto SLR is known as an FN FAL thats what the Argentines used in the Falklands we adopted it took away the full auto funtion, added a flash hider and made it longer.:D

Jak