THE YORKSHIRE WARTIME EXPERIENCE EVENT 22nd-24th of June NEW SHOW

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the display fields looked in the same state as this track between two of the show fields. Some people came prepared with wellies, but I still saw a number of people ankle deep in mud wearing trainers!

ywe23.jpg

The WW1 display was probably the only one that looked at home in the mud.

ywe24.jpg

ywe25.jpg

ywe26.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Good update Steve, shame so many events are being affected at the moment, I had planned to go to this one but the torrential rain & forecast did put me off travelling the 90 miles, hope things improved today.

Jon

Just back from the show - would like to say a big thank you to Ken & Stuart for doing a great job of organising this event in the worst possible circumstances. I went along with my Bedford OX as part of the D-Day to '45 group - this was our first proper event as a group and we had a great time in spite of the weather (living locally we were able to avoid camping out!!). It really is a shame about the weather as this would have been a superb event if all had gone as planned - I hope it will go ahead again next year in better weather.

Once again, Ken & Stuart, a big thank you from Mike, David, Jay, Dan & James

:laugh:HI KEN STU AND EVERY BODY INVOLVED WHAT A FANTASTIC TIME WE HAD AT YOUR EVENT ONCE WE HAD GOT OVER THE SLIGHT RAIN WE HAD ON FRIDAY THE EVENT ONLY GOT BETTER TOWING OUT VEHICLES WITH MY M4 WAS SO MUCH FUN AND PROVED WHAT A USEFUL TRACTOR IT CAN BE . WE ALSO MOVED THE BAND IN THE BACK OF A JIMMY THAT WAS A NEW ONE FOLLOWED BY THE DISCO . LADS IF YOU CAN TURN AN EVENT AROUND AS YOU DID WITH THOSE WEATHER CONDITIONS WE ALL THINK THIS WILL BE A FUTURE SHOW TO LOOK OUT FOR I HOPE YOU WILL TRY AGAIN NEXT YEAR ,

PS STU ANY TIME YOU WANT A DANCE PARTNER GIVE US A CALL THAT WAS THE DAFTEST THING IVE DONE FOR AGES , CRACKING FUN GOOD LUCK FOR THE FUTURE :laugh:

On behalf of all the organisers of the Yorkshire Watery Wartime Experience 2012, thankyou to all of you who supported us in one way or another. When you consider that parts of Mytholmroyd and Todmorden were cut off by the weather, it is a miracle that we had any event site left to deal with....

So many people literally mucked in to help us out with this event, Phil (even having to drive his Jimmy in his pyjamas at one point to help out as i understand it), the Panzer Support Group, Mike and the 25pdr crews, Simon and the Militant 'team', all the vehicle owners who showed up (including Steve Carr + wife and young daughter). So many people helped us force this event through, and sadly i do not know their names - but publically i thank you all, and you will know who you are.

The WW1 Gordon Highlanders reckon it is the best event they have ever been to (but having seen them in the bar on the Saturday night, they appear addicted to mud anyway), all i can say, it is hardest and most rewarding 72 hours of my re-enacting life.

If you're up for it, we're going to try again next year......

Regards

Ken

What a weekend, Debbie,Ken and Stu, despite having to face the wrath of the great British weather you pulled off a great show.

Where else can you get to paddle in liquid mud whilst man handling field guns, whitness the mud mad Gordons dancing with Panzer crews and hail a GMC with pyjama clad driver at midnight ?

Next years show is going to have to go some to match this year!

Well done to all those who put in so much effort.

Roll on next year.

P.S. Stu, twinkle toes, where did that come from? You were like John Travolta !

Edited by whistlinwolf

Drove to the event with my son and the old WW1 Crossley on Sunday, managed to get onto and off the lower field without assistance, but did not attempt the impossible, driving up to the arena, so most people probably missed us.

Enjoyed the displays especially the superb demonstration of the field gun in action.

The WW1 lads really enjoyed Saturday night by the looks of one tent, which had suffered the effects of drink!

I hope Stuart will try again for better weather next year.

Tom

One of the ways that the YWE impressed was the fact that vehicles drove round the arena mid-afternoon Sunday; while I enjoy visiting such as the show at Elvington, the vehicles there are static. What I would like to see is vehicles more or less constantly driving round the arena next year. Presumably, the owners would like this too; after all, vehicles are meant to be driven, not parked up. Vehicles could enter the arena by type and era, driving round for twenty minutes or so, followed by the next group after half an hour or so. I would happily pay an extra couple of pounds on my entrance fee in order to compensate owners for the fuel consumed.

John.

Thankyou for your support and suggestion John.

We had several moving vehicle based displays planned for the event (including all the guns and guns tractors running around), but so much of it was simply not practical that we did not even hand the programs out (on the basis that people would have been expecting to see things which were in the program, but we could not provide).

Next year, we will have more moving vehicle related 'stuff', assuming there is a next year, and the we can manage to select a date when a months worth of rain and wind does not dump itself on the site!

Regards

Ken

One of the ways that the YWE impressed was the fact that vehicles drove round the arena mid-afternoon Sunday; while I enjoy visiting such as the show at Elvington, the vehicles there are static. What I would like to see is vehicles more or less constantly driving round the arena next year. Presumably, the owners would like this too; after all, vehicles are meant to be driven, not parked up. Vehicles could enter the arena by type and era, driving round for twenty minutes or so, followed by the next group after half an hour or so. I would happily pay an extra couple of pounds on my entrance fee in order to compensate owners for the fuel consumed.

John.

I enjoyed driving round in the ferret :-) However took me longer to jetwash it off than get home :-)

I know we had a lot of rain, but I was really surprised at how big the lake was, when there had been nothing but grass on Thursday.

I got into conversation with a farmer who lives just above the site. He said that it was very unusual for that part of the field to flood and it only happened when there is exceptionally heavy rain.

After the show ,on Sunday night I became alittle ill to say the least.Thank you all very much for your kind word and support,it's much appreciated.Without any doubt this was the best show ive ever attended,everyone helped each other and stuck together.Under terrible conditions,Phils High speed tractor was one of the stars of the show,doing what she was designed to do.Towing vehicles and heavy artillery about.Phil also carried in the band and disco with his GMC,in his pyjamas at one point.Mikes OX bought in all the tables and chairs from the local scout hut Thank you!!The artillery lads did a superb display.Many thanks to all the vehicle & reenactment groups that attended.Especially all those bonkers enough to stay on site thank you.I went back to the site tonight,just to make sure everything was cleared up.As I shut the gate,Robbo the farmer said,he wants all his mud back.So I hope to see you all there next year.

Stu

Ken /Stu Thanks for putting on the wartime experience ...My Crew Had a great time ..met some greatt veterans ...Drove the Jeep in real mud and actually had to engage the 4 wheel drive ...Slept in a DUKW ...Fired 25 pounders ...and drove round the arena with the tanks/stalwarts etc

we enjoyed the experience as much as the mad scots WW1 re enactors who considered the mud as the best part of the event ..

Roll on next year

Jenkinov