Crossley Q type FWD

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brothers got one of these Crossleys with a knackered cab, taking up undercover storage. He''ll never restore it, dunno why he keeps it. Got a lovely office/command body/box on. Shame it's gonna die.

Any chance of measuring it up and photographing it to bits in order to create a record from which other owners can get bits fabricated? I am happy to call in and do it if needed!

Paul If you want to come and make a record of what I have as well, it would be great to be able to order new cabs or parts as there seem to be quite a few Crossleys around without them due to the ravages of time on the old garden shed cabs!

The construction is really simple requiring mostly 1"x1" and 2"x2" angle iron, flat steel plate and some 2" wooden batton plus standard MOD cab fittings and a small amount of blacksmith work to bend some of the angle iron around the wings.

The only pressed steel tin are the wings, engine covers and inside radiator covers of which I have sufficent to use as patterns.

Simples....:D

• 1 year later...
No worries - looking at the picture there is little to worry about - and you have quite a lot of stuff which is good enough for patterns.

I can't get over how similar your engine looks to my 1920s Mack AC engine:

Yes we have a Crossley block that looks very similar.

Morning fellas, we have the sorrowful remains of four of these lovely old trucks. Non are for sale but we would be more than happy to trade information and moral support! Best regards, James.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75388[/ATTACH]

That's a handsome beast, are you going to restore any of them?

That's a handsome beast, are you going to restore any of them?[/QUOT

All i n good time. The one in the photograph is totally original and we don't really know how to proceed. It run and drives well but all the marking are visible and we don't quite know what to do. One is turned into a timber tractor, one is a rolling chassis and the final one is complete but the cab is totally rotten.

Morning fellas, we have the sorrowful remains of four of these lovely old trucks. Non are for sale but we would be more than happy to trade information and moral support! Best regards, James.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75388[/ATTACH]

There was a story in one of the Classic Vehicle magazines a couple of months ago about a number of these being acquired by the same person/company somewhere in the UK some time ago, was this you James? Will try and dig it out as can't quite remember exact details. Certainly a rare vehicle.

There was a story in one of the Classic Vehicle magazines a couple of months ago about a number of these being acquired by the same person/company somewhere in the UK some time ago, was this you James? Will try and dig it out as can't quite remember exact details. Certainly a rare vehicle.

Humm not to my knowledge. We have had two of them for fifty year and the other over ten :cheesy:

Another view of our old girl:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75403[/ATTACH]

You can just make out the RAF marking on the back. Does anyone know what they mean?

Forgive my ignorance but was this type used for a 5 ton Queen Mary tractor unit? Jerry

Forgive my ignorance but was this type used for a 5 ton Queen Mary tractor unit? Jerry

Hi Jerry, in short yes. They could also be used as ballast tractors by creating a box on the back. We have some of the original concrete weights tucked away too. Never be afraid to ask; I am always posting odd questions :cheesy: