Crossley Q type FWD

I have decided that a blog on the saving of this Crossley FWD is the way to go rather than hijacking Richards original thread!

I have known about this truck and it's sister for many years along with quite a few people on this site! but I seem to have been chosen by the current owner as the custodian for their future safety, and not a moment too soon as he had a scrap merchant give him a quote to remove them forever.

After a bit of a chat I convinced him that they were salvagable and I started cutting down the trees around them!

This is my first WW2 vehicle and my first truck restoration, I have restored many classic cars but this is a whole new ball game for me and it's a steep learning curve especialy with something this rare.

I dont seem to have got too far as other comitments always seem to intervene but I am still moving forward slowly and have made some new friends along the way.

My New years resolution is to get the chassis stripped and painted before the summer!

RAF%20Crossley.jpg

general 237.jpg

general 241.jpg

general 240.jpg

general 242.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the layers of paint slowly removed to show it's history, red civilain stuff first, then brown and grey. follwed by micky mouse green and black, then plain green with morse code for 'V'?, and the chassis shows RAF blue underneath all the other paint.

263770_2168615572911_1172341164_2697514_1466883_n.jpg

270374_2168617732965_1172341164_2697520_6105065_n.jpg

261217_2168620213027_1172341164_2697530_8222369_n.jpg

Here it is as of today, with the remains of the cab removed, up on hard standing with wheels on and bull bar and radiator removed (Surprised me how heavy the rad was to lift off!!).

Next out is the engine and controls, I think I will get some hydraulic help for that!:laugh:

Christmas 2011 027.jpg

Christmas 2011 025.jpg

Christmas 2011 028.jpg

Christmas 2011 029.jpg

Yes I know what you mean!

I tried many times to get him to sell and it was only after he had passed away and his son had taken over the yard that a deal was done.

There were originaly three of them, one was scrapped but the axles, gearbox and steering were kept as spare parts, this one was alowed to fall into the undergrowth and the third one was used as a timber truck with a massive winch and jib fitted.

The problem with the third one is it was also fitted out with a Fordson diesel engine and worked to death, so pretty worn out mechanicaly and not very original.

So quite a few knackered mechanical spares!!!

Spent a few hours struggling to get the rear cylinder head off, quite a surprise at how good the bores are, just a little surface rust.

The front cylinders will probably be scrap due to one of the spark plugs being out and the cylinder filled with water.

Here is a picture of the infamous Crossley diff lock, requires somebody to crawl under the truck (once you are up to the axles in mud!) undo the butterfly nut and push the lever across, same on the front diff!! :)

crossley2 001.jpg

crossley2 002.jpg

crossley2 003.jpg

I haven't much info on the old girl but the chassis was painted RAF blue which makes it possibly pre-1940 but the rest of it is in olive drab as a base colour so a pre-war design produced around the outbreak of war is my best guess.

If anybody can shed light on her history I would be very happy, here is a picture of her chassis number and MOD contract number.

crossley2 012.jpg

MIke I have sent you a PM with my contact number.

I am looking for ANY! spares for the Crossley and engine parts would be much appreciated.

I am particularly looking for something to put on the back such as a radio body or a general service body, I am sure that one will be kicking around being used as a shed or workshop somewhere?

Any leads?

Removed the front cylinder head today after it put up quite a struggle.

I was expecting the worse as the front plug had been out for some time and it was full up with water, but for some reason the bore is in pretty good condition, the valve tops had taken quite a beating though.

crossley details 015.jpg

crossley details 016.jpg

I am after some opinions now!

I have been trying to work out what load the two Crossleys had originaly, there are a few clues such as the rear cab mounting brackets, one has square brackets to take the front of a load bed (I presume) and the other has angled brackets but I dont know why.

On the rear of one chassis are a couple of brackets riveted on with big countersunk rivets, they look like slides?

Oh and I found this tank in the bushes in the same colour camoflage as the chassis, any thoughts?

crossley details 014.jpg

crossley details 001.jpg

crossley details 019.jpg

crossley details 021.jpg

crossley details 022.jpg

TB will be Thompson Brothers, who did a lot of refueller stuff.

Looks like a WW2 British water tank, seen very similar with Morris Commercial plate in the back. The tank is probably worth having for trade purposes whether or not it matches the chassis, and it may well do.

Up until about fifteen years ago, there were a number of these Crossley's piled up in a scrapyard at Molesworth. All in a similar, or worse condition than yours. Unfortunately, the yard has since been cleared, but I did recover a couple of engines. At the time I was looking for something to power my WW1 AEC, and these seemed to be the most suitable, being two blocks of two cylinders. I have one engine installed and running, and I have some spare parts. If you know what you need I may be able to help.

Hello Mr D, I will almost certainly need some engine parts, I know I need a carb and I am sure there will be many more bits required. please feel free to email me some contact details cwcom@pbharcourt.fsnet.co.uk

Cheers.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the offer, I will need lots of tin work as I only have the faintest of rusty outlines for most of it.:cry:

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the offer, I will need lots of tin work as I only have the faintest of rusty outlines for most of it.:cry:

No worries - looking at the picture there is little to worry about - and you have quite a lot of stuff which is good enough for patterns.

I can't get over how similar your engine looks to my 1920s Mack AC engine:

PB134666.jpg