The Eagle has landed

Ian L

I find it a great film and the production very interesting

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074452/trivia

The MTB used in this film is actually MTB 102 an extremely important and illustrious boat used throughout WWII including during the Dunkirk evacuation of British and French forces in 1940 where it actually became the flagship of the fleet when the Admiral in charge of the operation transferred his flag to the boat after his destroyer was sunk. The production company paid for the completion of its restoration after being used by a local Sea Scout troop on the Norfolk Broads. The boat is still afloat and has a vast number of related articles about it on the internet including those about its design heritage and timely build just prior to the beginning of the war. A true historic boat.

Devlin's (Donald Sutherland) motorcycle is a 125cc Royal Enfield Flying Flea. Two Flying Fleas were on set but neither being very reliable, a 125cc Yamaha engine was fitted into the Royal Enfield frame and was used in some shots with the Flying Flea engine noise superimposed. For the viewer to tell them apart, when Sutherland uses the hand gear change, it's the Flying Flea engine; when he uses his foot to change gear, it's the Yamaha engine.

a lot of interesting stuff on there

filming locations:

Berkshire, England, UK(East Anglia)

Charlestown Harbour, Charlestown, Cornwall, England, UK(Alderney Harbour)

Charlestown, Cornwall, England, UK(Alderney)

Church of St Margaret, Mapledurham, Berkshire, England, UK(East Anglia church where the villagers are held hostage)

Cornwall, England, UK(Channel Islands)

Goods Yard, Rovaniemi, Finland(railway yard)

Mapledurham House, Mapledurham, Berkshire, England, UK(Prime Minister Winston Churchill taken to house)

Mapledurham, Berkshire, England, UK(Village of Studley Constable, Norfolk)

Newquay, Cornwall, England, UK(near) (Lansvoort Airfield)

Pier House Hotel, Charlestown, Cornwall, England, UK(George and Dragon Hotel where Liam Devlin is thrown out)

RAF St Mawgan, Newquay, Cornwall, England, UK(Lansvoort Airfield)

Reading, Berkshire, England, UK(East Anglia)

Rock, Cornwall, England, UK(beach & dunes)

Rovaniemi, Finland(railway yard)

Twickenham Film Studios, St Margarets, Twickenham, Middlesex, England, UK(studio)

Warfield Hall, Forest Road, Newell Green, Berkshire, England, UK(US Rangers headquarters)

Edited by MHillyard

Different film but have to let you know, we recorded Guns of Navarone the other day and decided to watch it this afternoon, youngest cubelet who is 9 asked if we were watching that film called guns you have never owned! Made me cry with laughter!!!!!

Love from Rosie x

I know they used Mapledurham near Reading for the village shots as I visited the location during the very hot Summer of 1976. The church interior was built inside a tent in a field and the pub and the mill extension were fakes. The half track's turret was made of wood, as I saw it being built. The Jeeps were not too good, and some were being welded on-site.

One question about the film - there was a yellow & red Vauxhall car used in the film, and I saw a duplicate car in a tent. It looked OK but was a wreck, so I assume it was to be blown up. However this didn't happen in the film. I assume that this bit was cut out - can anyone help?

Different film but have to let you know, we recorded Guns of Navarone the other day and decided to watch it this afternoon, youngest cubelet who is 9 asked if we were watching that film called guns you have never owned! Made me cry with laughter!!!!!

Love from Rosie x

Did horse work with the sequel Force 10 From Navarone. A lot of second unit and the opening bit where the aircraft was stolen was filmed in Jersey.

I know they used Mapledurham near Reading for the village shots as I visited the location during the very hot Summer of 1976. The church interior was built inside a tent in a field and the pub and the mill extension were fakes. The half track's turret was made of wood, as I saw it being built. The Jeeps were not too good, and some were being welded on-site.

One question about the film - there was a yellow & red Vauxhall car used in the film, and I saw a duplicate car in a tent. It looked OK but was a wreck, so I assume it was to be blown up. However this didn't happen in the film. I assume that this bit was cut out - can anyone help?

The only other vehicles i can think of that were used were the car they used near the end to escape from the church (red but looked polished and in good condition) and Mrs Grey's car which i think was either grey or blue, looked quite rough and had a window shot out.

The forerunner of Eagle has Landed - 'Went the day well?' is on channel 4 thurs (12th). Its a great propaganda film (1942) about a German unit disguised as British troops in an English village. Incidently, the village is actually Turville in Bucks, now known for the Vicar of Dibley, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Goodnight Mr Tom.

• 10 years later...
  • 1 month later...

My Brother bought a land rover ambulance, I guess in the 80s, he was told it featured in the Eagle has landed film.

sorry - realised after posting it wasn’t that film. It was the SAS film Who Dares Wins from the early 80s

the ambulance was driving off toward the end of the film.

Edited by V8bob

I own one of the jeeps used in the film. Found the Rangers film marking on the windscreen apron under a coat of paint. “Extremely well used” was a kind description of its condition when bought about 40 years ago.

It was also used in an episode of The New Avengers

72F211A3-31CF-4F6F-9330-E648C52D23DC.jpeg.704f23ae188dce1c00eae6af166d400c.jpeg

Edited by simon king
Punctuation

Way back in the 1960's my father was an icecream man, one day whilst driving down the Zig Zag, (Boxhill, Surrey now famous as part of the olympic cycle road race) he was stopped whilst scenes for a war film were under way, he sold a few ice creams while he was waiting 🙂. I just looked it up.

Edited by rog8811
  • Like 1

My Jeep was used in the Australian produced TV mini series 'The Dunera Boys' the show was  filmed just outside of Melbourne Australia. Well known UK actors Bob Hoskins and Warren Mitchell were on the set. I got to drive a Aust. 1939 Ford Marmon-Herrington gun tractor . Most of the vehicle scenes ended up on the editing room floor . I advised the props people a Jeep was not appropriate for 1940 but the script said otherwise https://www.duneraassociation.com/dunera-boys/

Edited by goanna
  • Like 1