National MVT Show - Wartime in the Vale 23 & 24 June, Ashdown WW2 Camp, Evesham

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am hoping to do a write-up about the weekend activities, if you have got anything unusual or you have a particular story that you would like to impart, maybe an unusual vehicle or perhaps the distance that you have had to travel. I will be walking around with my note book and pen, or baby sitting my Harley Davidson WLC, its marked up in Military Police markings.... please feel free to give me something interesting to put on paper. I am getting quite excited about the weekend, I have been packed since my return from Normandy.

Be sure to visit my "Mobile Cinema unit" in the Nissen hut Cinema showing films all week end, fascinating 1940's military films /newsreels and everyones favourite film "Scammell recovery" plus "Armoured recovery" ..winching a Churchill tank up the vertical side of a chalk pit!

Edited by Nick Johns

Yes will be nice n dry in there, but saying that the forecast is constantly improving so don't the let weather put you off.

We are British Paul, we are born waterproofed, it would not be right if we did not have a little rain in our lives!!!

Be sure to visit my "Mobile Cinema unit" in the Nissen hut Cinema showing films all week end, fascinating 1940's military films /newsreels and everyones favourite film "Scammell recovery" plus "Armoured recovery" ..winching a Churchill tank up the vertical side of a chalk pit!

Thank you for the invite, being ex-REME (1950s) I am sure that I will find the film show very interesting, looking forward to seeing you.

Firstly it will be dependant on the river flow & will be checked by our local member who works on the River & by the people operating the safety boat. So best to check at the show with a marshal to see if going ahead.

The time will be around 5.30 on the Saturday once a fishing competition has finished.

The address is Hampton Ferry, Boat Lane WR11 4BP. Its a narrow lane with a large grass car park at the end next to the river. If you prefer to watch/take pics as they enter the water you could take the chain ferry across to the other side.

Its only a few vehicles to include:

Alvis Stalwarts x2

DUKW

Ford GPA 'Seep'

Gaz 46

cheers Paul

Paul,

Thanks for posting the details.

Hi Guys,

Following the success of Wartime in the Vale over the last three years, the South Midlands area of the MVT are pleased to announce this show has now been awarded National Show status by the Military Vehicle Trust for 2012. The venue with its central location and unique WW2 camp with its many nissen huts has grown in popularity with over 350 military wartime and post war vehicles attending in 2011.

Now with National status / support, there will be an even greater selection of vehicles and re-enactors with a mix of military and civilian displays. For 2012 we are also hoping to attract more amphibious vehicles as its not often that these vehicles can go and have a play in the water, as we are fortunate to have access to a slipway into the River Avon in Evesham just 1.5 miles away.

We are also pleased the Austin Champ Owners Club have selected this show for their Champ Camp, as 2012 is particularly special for them as they are celebrating the 60th Anniversary of the Champ and nearly 100 Champs are already booked in with vehicles from the UK and abroad.

There will be a large selection of traders, Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (applied for), children’s fair, cinema, entertainment in the marquee and various vehicles displays going on in the arena and the camp will be fully opened with all its displays and extensive range of air raid shelters, along with lots of visitors in period dress contributing to the atmosphere.

For more information please visit the events page on: www.ashdowncamp.webs.com

Forms for MVT members will be posted out in January with Greensheet Magazine.

Non MVT members very welcome.

Do please contact me if any queries.

Thanks Paul

m: 0779 159 1528

Paul

Last 2 years have attended with family and jeep, camping Fri through to Sun. This year the jeep was sick so we could only attend today, peed off that it wasn't a full weekend but we were not disappointed at all. As ever excellent organisation and layout with some great vehicles and the Champs (don't tell them) were a sight to behold as they took to the ring.

Heres to 2013!!!

Hey Hoppy did you grab some of those Jerry Cans that were about there today then?...

..I saw them from £3 quid to £15 quid each and one stand had one dated 1944 and one at 1945 at £10 each..gotta be cheap enough I reckons :-D

Mananged to pick some good ones up limited to what the dog could sit on as he was given preference in the boot though.

Had a very good time here.

Arrived thurs morning and just got back.

Good seeing all the champs in the arena on sat.

Bumped into catweazle and his champ owning mate who came over from australia!

Not as many stalls as I expected, due to the weather I reckon, the weather was ok ish on sat/sun, but the bloody rain was pretty much non stop!

Good site, and toilets were spot on.

Well done to all.

Well Guys

What a weekend , Back home now and time to reflect on the weekend. This show never fails to surprise me A bit sticky

under tyre when we got there ( certainly tested the traction of the General and amazed the gun even moved ):-D Sun/rain/wind/sun/wind/rain /sun/sun A damm good weekend and something for every one and a good time for the MVs to show there worth:cool2: I know my truck did :( I had to get towed by a gmc as the front axle wouldn't engage while trying to pull the 155 that had sank although about 10 ton on 2 single tyres was expecting a bit much i suppose for the gun to pull herself out. The weekend certainly brought many smiles to my face. One bloke i was talking to with a load of hair that reminded me of catweazle fellow and what a great bloke certainly made us laugh .Made lots of new friends' and met old ones What a great weekend even the odd shower didnt dampen the event .

I take my hat off to all the folk who made this show happen.

boomboom

Just returned home but would like to say thank a big thank you for all those who brought their vehicles & supported the event, it was our best ever, even though the ground conditions weren't ideal.

I haven't checked the vehicles numbers yet, but am sure some were put off by the forecast but many still turned up & the variety of vehicles was just fantastic.

I loved the noon day guns on the Saturday with the 18pdr, the Garrison's 25pdr, Andrew Bakers CVRT & my ears are still ringing from Boomboom's Howitzer.

To see the Champs set a new record of 103 in the arena was fascinating.

The marquee on the Saturday night was just rocking all night long.

And the camp had a great atmosphere with the Garrison with their searchlight & I know Nick Johns had many in his Cinema, so a big thank you to all.

Rambo, sorry I didn't get to see you, I did walk over but you must have gone walkabout.

Hoppy, thanks for your pics & comments.

A few pics here for starters taken by a local photographer.

http://www.rjkytephotography.co.uk/c0058/c0058.html

cheers

Paul

Edited by Papav66
forgot link to photographer

Paul turning up was the easy bit, it us who should be thanking you & your team for being there, not just the weekend but all the effort that goes into planning, organising, doing it & clearing up afterwards. Thank you to all.

The highlight for me wasn't the noise of the guns going off, or Kitten Mew's dress coming off or even what seemed like 100s of Champs going round & round in circles, but it was seeing this:

Dsc02256a.jpg

Now you don't often see that incomplete mod. :-)

How did u spot that & what vehicle was it on?

Paul it was the Humber, Wireless, Light, FV1604 which was the most interesting vehicle for me there, yes I know it takes all sorts!

How did I spot it? Well I teased the owner that it was a shame to hide the vehicle under a camo net. It was a MV show if I want to look at camo nets I could look at some here. Anyway I put on waterproof trousers & slid underneath, as ones does, & nosed around with a torch & a camera, looking for the unexpected.