I think that they may be codes on transit labels for stores
Yes, the key to it is the transit. There was an "oh what a give away" clue in one of my earlier replies.:-D

so contents can be quickly identified as urgency, inflamable, fragile, medical, the diagonal blue stripe seems familiar.
Just identification as to what was what rather than a special risk etc

Are they markings for small webbing packs? I know my dressing pack has the small circle with red cross.

I know what you are thinking of Tony but these are larger markings with a corroborative label providing consignment details.

I hesitate to ask, (But will anyway) Have you been at the Villiage People albums again?
Good is it Tony?:D

Are we talking Sea Shipping ? 'In the Navy'.
No sailors, cops, construction workers, cowboys, Red Indians, guys from the YMCA etc involved in this post. Sorry if that's disappointing for you. ;)

If its not in the air, its either in a bunker or a submarine?

Either that, or dry cleaning instructions...never understood those either.

Ok so nothing in the air, on the sea or under it & not in a bunker.

Some more dry cleaning labels to confuse you Mike :D

Stores.jpg

they wouldn't be on the railways would they? Land, sea and airfreight but no railways listed

They are indeed well done!

I've been dropping few hints along the way about being "on the right track" & "not quite on the right track yet" & "You're on the wrong track" :D

Bit of a cheat really Clive, as I have the unfair advantage of having spent many hours of my yoof sitting bored on Polegate Station where a huge number of wagons where being dismantled, so the image was still lurking there in my mind waiting for just that moment...:-D

Bit of a cheat really Clive, as I have the unfair advantage of having spent many hours of my yoof sitting bored on Polegate Station where a huge number of wagons where being dismantled, so the image was still lurking there in my mind waiting for just that moment...:-D

Glad to have unlocked some memories for you Bernard.

I always find markings quite fascinating & certainly some of them go back more than 150 years which I'm sure is well before your wagon spotting days :-D

They are indeed well done!

I've been dropping few hints along the way about being "on the right track" & "not quite on the right track yet" & "You're on the wrong track" :D

Get out the bunting and the flags and put the dancing music on the duke box, all those tracked hints penetrated in the end. :-)