my fwdhar1 1943 project

desertman

Hey Desertman,

Yes, I've now found your thread. How about you pull a couple of pics off the DVD to post here so folks can see what the whole truck looked like. See, there are a few of them around. And those fuel tyres must be super-rare here down-under.

For those who haven't worked it out, Desertman, and myself (Sam aka kw573) live in eastern Australia. There was an RAAF roundel on the cab sides when we pick up the truck, it can be seen in the DVD.

Bye,

Sam.

Hey, Sam: ref the 'fuel tyres', better known as the 'Rolling Fluid Transporter', in Australia: see my previous post: only 2 imported in to Oz.

Ref the RAAF roundels on the sides of the HAR-1: what was its RAAF regiostration number, please?

Mike C

ok than continueing on with resto next pics are 1 the fire wall was being fitted and 2, the fuel tank was in not to bad a shape ,well you can make your own mind up.

I ended up taking stuff out to work shop with me and doing it at night some times ,most time in the day time .

018.jpg

100_1351.jpg

100_1352.jpg

100_1354.jpg

Hi,

Your truck is an FWD HAR-1 taken on charge by the RAAF in August 1944, and disposed of by public sale by the Commonwealth Disposals Commission in August 1946. It has/should have chassis number 103736.

Regards

Mike C

Hello,

We read the manual which said the chassis number is stamped on the side rail between the fuel tank and the front spring rear bracket. So, out came the flapper disc and torch, but to no avail. We couldn't find it there at all. Mind you, it has heavy surface rust on the chassis. Can anyone confirm that we are looking in the right place?

Have a nice day,

Sam.

Dennis looking for FWD chassis number. Resized.JPG

ok fellers i have been told by my friend sam that i havnt told you good members how i repaired my fuel tank so i will.

first looked at it to see if it was repairable yes of course i can do amazing things ok clean crap out of it ,the baffles where broken in side so i cut the top open with angle grinder and pulled out the baffle ,making sure i didnt wreck the v shape bits on top and that gives the tank strength all up all 3 tops came of as you can see in the pics.

cut new bits metal and welded in ,than useing sticks of solder i think it was 50/50 solder ,thats 50%solder and 50%lead solderd all over were i welded patchers in that is so it wont leak.

useing a sanding pad and wire wheel on grinder ,started on the in side cleaning it all up ,than put the baffles back in i welded them in ,i could have soldered them in but welding them were stronger.

than to make sure it didnt leak i painted in side a sealer only on 4 sides leting that dry 24 hrs ,than cut the top peices to cover the holes in the top 2 out side ones than the middle one.all with a mig welder as there is very little heat and the panels dont buckle ,i nearly stuffed up on the filler neck as i was gong to cut the hole for the filler neck in the middle like studebaker and gmc but on checking the manuals i have put the filler neck on the back ,not the middle anyway welded neck on so you can get the picture looking at the pics because iam putting a deisel in because iwont to use it all the time and to go to rallys i reckon it will be cheaper to run ,anyway the old petrol motor was shagged any way no parts around anyway had to put 2 lines in 1 fuel pick up and 1 return line ,put new sender in and a new fuel cap all done so the last pics i put up is the end resalted 1 fuel tank that dosent leak and its the same 1that it came out the factory in 1943 i think ?

100_1426.jpg

100_1430.jpg

hello fellers and how have yous all been ,well been at it on the old girl had the motor out again stripped down painted so iam moving along on that department .

next pics are tranfer case it was very easy to pull a part so the bearings were ok because there was no water in there ,the things that were to be fixed was the out put shafts were the felt seal ran ,so i cleaned up with emery paper they had a grove where the seals sat so i put 3 speedy sleves on and new seals .

the drive chain adjustment locking part had been flogged around abit but sam got me a spare transfer case from north queensland and bought it home... he's the man a great bloke anyway it had been full of water ,got some parts off it,the rest went i a drum molassis to try and free it up anyway he is the pics . buy the way fellers the fuel ,i put fuel in today and the only place i had a drip was the drain bung so i like that lol.

fixed drip and going to start motor today so will get the camcorder out ,to see how she runs cya

100_1355.jpg

100_1356.jpg

100_1394.jpg

100_1395.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
after a long time resizeing pics i have more to put up ,so these are me making the mud guards useing bits and peices of the old guards

Great progress mate well done, looking at the first picture of when you found it looks like the cast headlamp brackets are missing? I have a pair available.

regards

Ben

• 1 month later...

hi every body yep been bit slack again not on the truck but on the forum well if a bloke go buy a lap top too take to work ,would be great anyway i work away all week, travel around 6hrs to go to work ,around 587km 1 way we stay at this blokes place and it is ,well we call it the barn its a house out the bush and its a real eye opener chooks running around in the house ,dogs shagging in the lounge room while you are trying to watch tv cats piss and **** on the floor and now they got a new puppy and it howls all night what a show and when you walk in at the end of day the smell ,,,well it clears your nose any way back to what i was putting on here 1st up mud guards are finished ,in the pic the cab is on but i have too take it apart again for all the under neath work makes it easyer

fwdhar1 001.jpg

fwdhar1 005.jpg

fwdhar1 003.jpg

we stay at this blokes place and it is ,well we call it the barn its a house out the bush and its a real eye opener chooks running around in the house ,dogs shagging in the lounge room while you are trying to watch tv cats piss and **** on the floor and now they got a new puppy and it howls all night what a show and when you walk in at the end of day the smell ,,,well it clears your nose

Geez mate ...... I would hope he is not charging you for the entertainment as well as the lodging.

hi again fello green fever people, now wonder iam slack i have to resize all the pics ,before i up load ,,, what a pain :D well next pics are the insides of the side panels, the panels are the ones that where on the truck lots of cutting rust out and of course not a lot of bondo going in:) they are a bit jumbled so nxt is the finished producted:D

DSCF0182.jpg

DSCF0218.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0219.jpg

DSCF0220.jpg