Canadian MK1 Ferret Call Sign 31

robin craig

I did see on another thread someone doing an adapter for the oil filter, so you can use the standard disposable ones.But I cant remember the thread, sorry. You can get new old stock filters in the UK from Banisters. If that's any help:-|.

Ian Wallace was doing an adaptor for the oil filter housing allowing a spin oil filter to be fitted http://www.ferret-afv.org/ Email him via the site.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dropped in to see Tommy at the shop.

He has the last of the gearbox apart. Seals are on order plus a bearing and some fasteners that need replacing, all parts washed and inspected, massive amount of time doing that.

Big picture plan is to go at assembly next weekend on the Saturday and Sunday in a marathon session and get it out of his shop.

I'm quite excited

R

ferret gearbox torn down final.jpg

Catch,

You have to remember that the labour to clean it is a bit of a sweat heart deal between Tommy and myself.

The second is that being out here in Canada means that the notion of any parts being available is non existent, to be able to part exchange for another unit is not an option.

R

Well,

Sad to say but the world as we know it has just changed dramatically for me.

Although I will be assembling the gearbox this coming weekend that is about as far as things are likely to go this summer and I am expecting no other work to happen until well in the fall (autumn).

We listed our house for sale last Friday, had a viewing on Saturday morning, an offer by the same afternoon, counter offered the same day and got an acceptance subject to two conditions yesterday (sunday).

So, as of the 15th of June we are going to be out of this house. The catch is that we have no house to move to, we have 3 acres of virgin farmland and that is it.

We have always intended to build a modular factory built home brought to site and craned onto a foundation. This is still the plan but it is all time and money.

So here goes for a rock and roll ride!

R

This past weekend saw a big push to get the gearbox assembled and out of Tommys shop and back to my work for storage.

We started with the main housing and the centre round thingy that slides in the middle. Tommy has this wonderful green goo that is some kind of gearbox assembly goo that has some very interesting properties, it sticks like clay at normal room temperature but upon warming it is soluble in any gearbox oil and does not harm in way. We used this and a fine machine oil as the two main lubes when putting things together.

Here goes the centre thingy wotsit.

Ferret gearbox centre piece.jpg

ferret gearbox centre piece install final.jpg

Edited by robin craig

The shaft for the gear change pedal caused us some grief as we made the mistake of not looking at things a bit more closely but once we install the bolts that secure the shaft and found that it would actuate we worked out that the bolt was too long and had bottomed out on the shaft after it had passed through the bushing that it also holds, adding a washer after measuring with a vernier sorted the problem.

Here is Tommy with one hand in one side and the other outstretched to the outside wiggling things in.

R

ferret gearbox forward reverse shaft.jpg

These pictures may not quite be in the right order but anyhow, on we go.

The two side units were then built up using more green goo and kind of orange Permatex sealing goo. Somehow I got all the icky gooey jobs and Tommy got the finger pinching ones, trust me, he did pinch his finger later on and it hurt him.

Here are a couple of more shots. Note we have bought quantities of internal star washers and copper sealing washers for the rebuild. There is no point using knackered fasteners and having things leak, it only cheapens the job.

There are likely far more technical names than "whotsit and side unit" but if you have one apart you know what they are! I'm a bit brain dead this morning, but you get the drift.

R

ferret gearbox side assemble complete.jpg

We have had to replace one bearing which was sourced locally. The internal O ring between the transfer case and the gearbox was not available from Bannisters so we sourced that locally, The seals all came from Bannisters. Richard was very quick in sending those out to us and for reasonable money.

R

This next unit nearly brought us to a standstill.

The socket head cap screws that hold it in were very tight coming off and had been reused in a previous rebuild by 202 RCEME workshops in 1978 as per the rebuild tag.

They were used at that point and the socket part was abused and after Tommy got them apart they were junk. I was tasked with buying new ones, simple enough job, one would think. Well, when we tried to install them we found the heads were too big to get into the countersunk bores so luckily Tommy has a lathe in the shop so he spun these up and brought them down to size.

R

ferret gearbox problem child.jpg

ferret gearbox bolts.jpg

Just as a note, we were using Loctite on all bolts such as in the last post. integrity of the job is very important to me.

You will not just how darn clean Tommy has all the pieces, he took hous cleaning everything, his way.

This side of the unit houses the forward reverse dog clutch on the shaft at the top.

R

ferret gearbox side unit complete 2.jpg

Once those two units were done they were set aside and we wombled back over to the bench where everything is laid out in a very specific pattern, known only to Tommy, and selected the front housing and oil pump gizmo to assemble next.

A word of caution at this point about your tools. slotted screws get knackered because people will insist on using a tapered screwdriver instead of one with parrallel sides. It is a massive peeve of mine and we really should have used a new screw.

The common screwdriver as found in most tool boxes, will because of the taper, automatically ride itself out of the slot in the screw and make a complete pigs ear of the screw head.

R

ferret gearbox parts on bench.jpg

wretched screw driver.jpg

Tony,

I think silver as I have found a really good paint that sticks like glue and doesn't rub off.

After its last rebuild it was Deep Bronze Green interestingly. All that came off in the cleaning process.

The base zinc chromate is mostly there with a grey on top of that then silver.

R

We have had to replace one bearing which was sourced locally. The internal O ring between the transfer case and the gearbox was not available from Bannisters so we sourced that locally, The seals all came from Bannisters. Richard was very quick in sending those out to us and for reasonable money.

R

I always found Richard a bit expensive, but supper fast, have often received parts before I have even sent the money off. He is very easy to deal with too, I mucked up the VAT difference between Ireland and the UK and he didn't bother me with it until my next order. :-D

expensive compared to who???:cool2:

Well I'm not going to get into how much I paid for certain items, because that's not fair, Richard does a fantastic job and I have found if he hasn't got it then most likely it cant be got! But things like oil seals, bearings etc are worth shopping around for.

When it came to overhauling the brake master cylinder for my Stalwart he hadn't got the part, but Past Parts had a modern replacement part that I needed, saving me from getting the hole unit from Richard.

It's true, who else is going to have a NOS Commanders seat for a Ferret, but shop around for the other stuff, you will be surprised what other vehicles used the same parts......... I smell a good topic for a new Thread.:-D

• 1 year later...

I thought I would drop in and enlighten people as to what is going on.

Well, not much really to be honest, as we built a house last year and now comes the garage / workshop this year.

The major decision we have made is what to do with our second Ferret Mk1 Cdn. The intent was to tidy it up / restore it and pass it along. frankly that is not going to happen now. It represents to us an enormous on hand opportunity for spares that we can ill afford pass over.

When you consider where in the world we are located (Canada), where in the world most of the major assemblies are located (Britain), and the ever increasing cost and the dwindling supply of them and just for good measure add the cost of sending that kind of lump Trans-Atlantic, we would be fool to part with it.

So the thought process is that we will strip and crate all the components for storage and save the hull which is serialised. That way in the future if someone else wants to restore it the hull is here. Remember there were only 124 of them sent out here.

At least this is what is making sense to us, and what will do us best for call sign 31 when its done.

R

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...