BWP German trailer identification

Hello, I'm new to this forum, recommended by people on the Series II Land-Rover forum.

I have owned this trailer for many years, but have only recently discovered anything about it.

There is a plate on one of the trailing arms marked BWP EP 500 - S980-556, with the address Fr. Kotz & Sohne, Wiel, Bez. Koln.

BWP are still bearing and axle manufacturers - did they make the trailer or only supply the axle?

The wheels are 16 " Volkswagen, which size I am told was discontinued in 1952.

I should be grateful if anyone can tell me more about the trailer.

Thank you

Clifford

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

t4.jpg

The company probably only made the axle assembly. The trailer is a non-standard military vehicle, ie not part of the normal procurement process. I suspect it was a limited purchase, or local-purchase, item for use by the StOV (Standortverwaltung), ie the admin people in a garrison or several garrisons.

There are a considerable number of trailer manufacturer in Germany, with similar configurations on the market, so without a makers plate it's impossible to hazard a guess,

There is another plate on the main tube, near the front. It has the letters CFS or perhaps CTS, written in script, not capitals, next to a logo of a shield bearing a saltire cross, surmounted by a crown. Would that be the maker, or the supplier?

Can you confirm the rough date? Someone on the LandRover forum thought it looked 40s or 50s but not wartime.

I have never seen another one in the 30 years I have had it, until my query prompted a reply from someone else with an identical trailer.

As a matter of interest, what equipment would have been towed behind the trailer? The tow hook is much too low to have been simply another similar trailer.

Thanks

The use of Bez. Koeln on the plate suggests pre 1949, as Bez. (Bezirk or district) was used after the German Federal Republic was created. This definition of an area continued in rhe GDR. Certainly, looking at the date, if it was used, it wasn't by the Bundeswehr (first formed in 1956). So it was more than likely a post-war civilian item.

The logo certainly isn't in use today, the crown could be an indication of where it was manufactured depending on what the crown looks like. It may be a foreign-built trailer fitted with a German axle assembly and used in Germany.

The little, low towhook suggests agricultural use, ie towing another smaller trailer, which was then still permitted with a speed restriction imposed, or used for manouvering the trailer.

• 9 years later...