In gods name, what were they thinking?

WAYNE15071965

We all have our own view on this. I for one would love the jeep owner to give his side of the story .

Not so sure about your " Insults thrown about in forums really annoy me " .

Reenactors may be annoyed with your " a bunch of I.T. workers poncing about glorifying death "

Cant have it both ways

Oh ,before you ask, ex R.A.F.

Edited by bovington1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wearing a uniform of any kind should not be allowed unless you have earned the right to in the forces. Just put them on dummies so i can look at them...... just my two pennies now go and enjoy yourselves with whatever floats your boat....

Interesting idea, maybe your right, maybe we should stop wearing the uniforms or anything military, maybe they should all be taken away and locked up. But then we would have to remove all the large green metal things driving around, cant have them roaming the countryside scaring people can we, lets scrap them all.

Where do you stop, Ok you don't like re-enactors, thats your right and a golly hard fought for right it is, but please remember it was the guys in the correct uniform that made large green metal things do what they were built for.

So just as there is a need to keep the machine working, there is also a need to remember those that operated them, and if you where to take the time to go Look and Listen to some of the reenactors you will find its not all about guns and explosions, but everyday life of a soldier.

I have no particular interest in watching re enactments / story telling its not my cup of tea, the only thing that I like at the shows is the MV's. I am uneasy seeing overweight and over age people wearing uniforms that in real life wouldn't still be in service in a front line unit. To me being overweight, over age and wearing a uniform is offensive and lacking in respect to those who have served in the military.

And yes I am over age and completely unfit and I don't wear a British Army uniform never have never will (green t shirt from Matalan and camo pants from Morrisons is enough for me). When I can find my tank girls T shirt I wear that.

My two pennies worth it really is a mountain out off a molehill this story

And this is the reason my Scammell explorer is painted red and goes to vintage vehicle rallies entered in the commercial section, A great bunch of blokes who are interested in old lorries and how they work and the huge efforts to restore them and keep them on the road. I bought the scammell purely because i love the lorry, I just happened to have been built for the army. After all this is a Historic Military VEHICLE forum.......

. After all this is a Historic Military VEHICLE forum.......

Correct:laugh:

I'm quite surprised that no photo's of the event seem to have been posted although I know a number of members were at Pickering, did anybody hear of any comments made at the event in regard to this vehicle. Ken, Steve?????

Edited by Degsy

Diversity will always generate differencies of opinion and stimulate debate, and so long as that is what it remains, a debate, and not a slanging match, then that is a healthy state of affairs and is to be encouraged. I dont suppose that many people actively set out to offend the public. Maybe this couple really did think that they are depicting the reality and consequences of conflict. Regarding people wearing uniforms I feel that provided that they act in an appropriate manner, and depict the era that they are representing in a correct setting i.e. a diorama, and not have any Rambo`s in their ranks, then that depicts our recent history and may well stimulate some of our young people into understanding the sacrifices that have been made to secure their future, and that can only be considered a positive outcome.

We were there, prked up at Beck Isle Museum. We don't venture out until after dark (to the pub) as the place is heaving during in the day. Sadly (as part of the whole point for me is to let people see the vehicles moving) i don't put any of mine in the 'parade' any more. There are just too many people there and the crowd control is next to 0! We have often had people (members of the public) walking along side during the parade, with prams or wheel chairs, and there are so many people crowded in to the high street that eventually someone is going to fall or be pushed out in to the path of the parade. I don't want one of my drivers, in one of my vehicles, to be the one picking the remains of a member of the public from out of my NDTs!

Had i seen this chap, i would certainly have asked him what he was representing and why. The US veterans which we represent i suspect would draw their own conclusions as to the 'appropriateness' of this representation. As i have not had a chance to talk to the owner, i am glad that no images of that particular vehicle made it to our image collection for the weekend, without my having the chance to explain what he was doing and why.

See a few of 'us' below.

Pick11.jpg

Pick12.jpg

Pick13.jpg

Pick14.jpg

Pick15.jpg

Pick16.jpg

Pick17.jpg

Pick18.jpg

Pick19.jpg

Pick20.jpg

Pick21.jpg

Pick22.jpg

Pick24.jpg

Pick25.jpg

IMG_5528.jpg

IMG_5541.jpg

IMG_5616.jpg

IMG_5583.jpg

Edited by kpu121265

Every piece of equipmemt and every vehicle the army owned was designed to do one thing, Kill people. Even the ambulance vehicles are used to get peopleto a hospitle so they can be treated in order to get back out there and carry on killing. Even my humble Scammell recovery tractor was made to help keep the general killing machine mobile. Different things offend differet people. I personally find grown men running round a field pretending to shoot each other highly offensive but would never want to stop anybody or insult them, i just don't watch it. Wearing a uniform of any kind should not be allowed unless you have earned the right to in the forces. Just put them on dummies so i can look at them...... just my two pennies now go and enjoy yourselves with whatever floats your boat....

Strangely enough, I see your point. We all love these vehicles but we do forget that warfare ,what our beloved toys were designed and built for involves the death of the opponents or enemies...And of course results in deaths on both sides.When the Falklands war started me and my friends flocked to the army recruitment office to join up and banish the foe in a gung-ho manner. Today a wiser, 30 year older would run a mile....

Edited by berna2vm

I have no particular interest in watching re enactments / story telling its not my cup of tea, the only thing that I like at the shows is the MV's. I am uneasy seeing overweight and over age people wearing uniforms that in real life wouldn't still be in service in a front line unit. To me being overweight, over age and wearing a uniform is offensive and lacking in respect to those who have served in the military.

And yes I am over age and completely unfit and I don't wear a British Army uniform never have never will (green t shirt from Matalan and camo pants from Morrisons is enough for me). When I can find my tank girls T shirt I wear that.

My two pennies worth it really is a mountain out off a molehill this story

Its not only military dress-ups mate, in Bath we have people dressed up as Jane Austin characters who look like real plonkers, it keeps the tourists happy, so hay ho, there ya go! Oh, yeh, they get paid for it too!

Not really relevant to this thread, but though it might lighten it up a bit!

My philosiphy is if they dont bother or interfere with me, live and let live, but I reserve the right to smirk! (As many others do!!)

Here's a quote from something Jack posted on Pathfinder; 'There were elements of our Dutch trip that my Dad doesn’t appreciate or even understand. He just laughed when a teenager openly asked him “how many Germans did you kill?” It’s as if war’s just become a computer game, in which the participants and the casualties no longer seem real.

Meanwhile convoys of military vehicles paraded through the streets, some carrying medal-laden veterans but many of them filled with smiling young people in shabby brown uniforms. As we sat outside a café Dad politely asked a group of them which regiment they were serving with. “It’s just a hobby,” one replied. In fact, they were office workers who put on military fancy dress at the weekends. “So they’re playing at soldiers?” My father was completely baffled by all this. “We live in a completely crazy world, chap.”

Read the rest at http://www.sabotagetimes.com/life/taking-dad-to-visit-his-wwll-ghosts-in-arnhem/

It’s as if war’s just become a computer game, in which the participants and the casualties no longer seem real. Hmmm...

My wife has accompanied myself on several trips to Normandy and Belgium, them trips have always included visits to the war cemeteries to offer a prayer to the young men and women of that generation who paid the ultimate sacrifice so that I could spend my seventy five years living in relative peace and stability in this world. On our first visit to a cemetery my wife turned on her heel and walked from the cemetery crying, she now refuses to visit cemeteries. She imagined how she would feel if our own children were lost in that way,and cannot understand how parents coped with the loss. I try explaining to her what a great tragedy it would be if people refrained from visiting and these people were to just lay there and have no one visit them. My own stepfather is buried in Tunisia along with his younger brother Harold, I often wonder if anyone visits and reads out their names, I do hope so. Any attempt to keep their sacrifices alive and fresh in peoples minds has got to be positive, it just needs the sensible and more informed amongst their group to ensure that its all done with due reverence and consideration for the survivors.

My wife has accompanied myself on several trips to Normandy and Belgium, them trips have always included visits to the war cemeteries to offer a prayer to the young men and women of that generation who paid the ultimate sacrifice so that I could spend my seventy five years living in relative peace and stability in this world. On our first visit to a cemetery my wife turned on her heel and walked from the cemetery crying, she now refuses to visit cemeteries. She imagined how she would feel if our own children were lost in that way,and cannot understand how parents coped with the loss. I try explaining to her what a great tragedy it would be if people refrained from visiting and these people were to just lay there and have no one visit them. My own stepfather is buried in Tunisia along with his younger brother Harold, I often wonder if anyone visits and reads out their names, I do hope so. Any attempt to keep their sacrifices alive and fresh in peoples minds has got to be positive, it just needs the sensible and more informed amongst their group to ensure that its all done with due reverence and consideration for the survivors.

That is a fantastic post Ray - 100% agree.

Just thinking....why all the emphasis on the negative views of re-enacters and those who make mistakes or can't be bothered to get it right.

We had compliments as re-enacters from a LOT of veterans, Patton's granddaughter(?),Gen. MacAullifes nephew(?) and many more.

Why kick those who invest a lot of time, effort and wear a uniform in RESPECT like me.

Its more fun to highlight the negative aspects I guess....

Edited by Enigma

...must have slipped your mind, most of us on here are British, we have spent hundreds of years perfecting many aspects of negativity... it's a national pass time. Jenni pointed it out when she first moved from South America...you lot look on the dark side of everything, no wonder the British are not very happy:-( I hope I buck the trend:-D

On the aspect of the original post, take re-enactment as a whole, if a number of 'Romans' were re-enacting a funeral possession of a fallen comrade at an event no one would bat an eyelid, but just because it's still in memory (only just) we see it in a different light - people are odd.

I don't like re-enacted WW2 battles, they are always a let down and look silly because the scale is all wrong, the camps and dioramas on the other hand are usually top notch. Tankfest 2011 was good in that respect and you get good public interactivity and learning.

Edited by ajmac

Very well put Ray, whilst not denigrating the younger generation in any way I think us 'old stagers' have a slightly different view on this subject having been more directly affected.

I don't like re-enacted WW2 battles, they are always a let down and look silly because the scale is all wrong, the camps and dioramas on the other hand and usually top notch.

I very much agree with you regarding the so called battles but it seems to draw the general public and I suppose anything which gives us a chance to educate them, especially the children, can only be a good thing.