A&E 2012 Convoy Composition

Jack,

What is your intention with reference the convoy layout in 2012, if you remember we discussed it back in 2009 and came up with the wartime armoured advance with the recon out front followed by armour, troop transport and then recovery following up. It worked well in practice and compared to Mons was almost choreographed, I know plan is a dirty word...but.

Jack,

What is your intention with reference the convoy layout in 2012, if you remember we discussed it back in 2009 and came up with the wartime armoured advance with the recon out front followed by armour, troop transport and then recovery following up. It worked well in practice and compared to Mons was almost choreographed, I know plan is a dirty word...but.

Knock it off with the plan word!

But yes that does sound pretty workable as we will have alot more M8's etc. The bottom line is to keep the tanks rolling....

Tanks with radials want to keep moving , otherwise fuel starts boiling in fuel tanks , in Mons they made the mistake to let it go to everything but tanks in town , even after we discussed this matter in advance , in the morning inexpierenced guys put the convoy together with all the weasels, kettenkrad`s, m8`s 1/2 tracks and that in front so the heavy armour had to race or stand iddle for long times , not workable . several years before big tracked in front and the rest could follow , this kept everyting rolling , the wheeled armour is a lot more flexible .

Two Dingos and a Universal Carrier set the pace early on last time but I am not sure what went on on the faster stretches....

That worked very well. We then had the tanks - followed by a Ward and then the halftrack followed by the soft skins.

It's the junctions that cause the problems. The temptation to let the convoy regroup means the tanks near the front end up sitting waiting and that is not good as Maurice points out.

It didn't happen much last time and I was impressed how well the convoy flowed but it is a problem.

Normal convoy practice, i.e slowest first makes more sense than a wartime order of march which is more relevant at a slower speed.

I know a carrier is quicker than the armour, but not that much and it still gives the armour the flexibility to establish a gap to make up in the 'fast' parts, so long as the upfront vehicle acts as a governor to the rest it would work smoothly. There must be a trade off though, as Jack is always saying, it's about armour, so putting a towed gun at the front because it is going at walking pace seems a bit extream to me.

At the end of the day I guess it's up to Jack and the Tank Drivers.

Edited by ajmac