Bedford RL AFS control unit

HWade

Getting on well with the wiring, all of the control box is now refitted, I have renewed all of the wiring from this to the dynamo and to the battery, also to the power pick up behind the dash panel. I have have also fitted the new 8 way fuse box, and started to take wires to this and the various places where they go.The relays arrived today for the rear fog lights so this will be fitted tomorrow. I also changed the polarity of the dynamo so its now a negative earthed vehicle rather than pos. I hope to have the radiator back in next week, but will see how I get on, I have alot of other work to now fit in. I had a green Goddess turn up yesterday with a lack of charging and a major oil leak at the front of the vehicle, yet to investigate as to where the oil is coming from. Thats it for now folks. Howard.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Jaces thanks for your comments, yes it was not to bad when we got it, but the bottom of one of the doors needed major surgery, and there was welding on the cross supports on the bottom of the cab.I have now got most of the new wiring in now so its getting there. I was hoping to have had the front of the body done this week but the weather has put a stop to that. I shall post more as it comes on. Howard

Thanks for the reply mate.

I guess I am a bit more up front than others are and hence I ask. I just have a particular hate on for them and far prefer a good soldered joint with heat shrink over top. I was bludgeoned to death in a particular trade school on the standard of electrical connections. Each one being a potential problem, so if soldered then its a quality joint.

At least that is what my teacher ranted on about, I guess I'm slowly turning into him! I guess also with our climate out here and the corrosion we get with salt spray in the winter it is just a standard I wont get away from too easily.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not ragging on you, just trying to understand how and why folks do things. After all this is a forum, so when I see stuff I ask.

No offence meant in any way.

Keep up the rebuild, going to look grand when complete, I am envious.

R

Hello Robin,,

Its good to get other peoples questions and there opinion, no offence taken, glad you are enjoying the restoration, I managed to get the two quarter windows fitted into the back of the cab. I was working on a green goddess I had come in. After removing the radiator, i managed to locate the oil leak and also why it was not charging, the large nut that holds on the bottom pully wheel on the crank had come undone, this had smashed the back of the pulley and in turn totally chewed up the oil seal. There should be a locking washer with tabs and this had not been fitted, hence the nut coming loose the owner had done 17,000 miles with the truck so he did well for it to last this long. It must have been getting hot to, because the fan and dynamo was not being turned the pulley was stationary with end of crank spinning inside.I will take some pics tomorrow of the damage, iam sure someone will enjoy them. Regards Howard.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Bedford is going together well, all of the wiring is finished the new braking system is now bled and working as it should, the radiator is all plumbed in and its all up and running. The truck is due to come out of the workshop on Monday to have the box body lifted back on. Howard

DSC00218.JPG

DSC00220.JPG

DSC00219.JPG

Well the body finally went back onto the chassis this morning, all went well with out a hitch.I also managed to get all the mudguards and the folding steps blasted and in primer. The truck has gone back down to the owners workshop for him to remove all of the old paint off the body, it will then return for the prep and painting of the body. Heres a couple of pics.

DSC00229.JPG

DSC00231.JPG

DSC00230.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Looks outstanding! Good to see it being cared for so well! My Green Goddess is currently away having some work done, so I can share the excitement of seeing them completed and ready to roll!

I would be interested to see what your views are on 'handling and performance' given it's on 12.00 x 20 tyres. My GG is currently on the original 11.00 x 20 Avons which are fine but quickly ageing! Given they're old and like rocking horse poo to get hold of (and just as ancient if you can get them!), and there are plenty of these Goodyear G388s about given they're the current in-service tyre for the Bedford MK, it seems a logical move to me!

Duncan.

Hello Duncan

I will let you know what she drives like soon as she is done, I am hoping to have the rear body painted in the next couple of weeks. I just waiting for the paint to be stripped from the body first. The 1200 tyres will ride well I hope. Howard

• 3 weeks later...

The RL arrived back yesturday, ready for painting the body, I spent all day Rubbing the body down first with 120 grit and then a very fine grit. I then went over with grab cloth to remove all of the dust ect. I managed to get the whole body primed today with etch primer, and also got some of it in top coat. Heres a few pics. Howard.

DSC00337.jpg

DSC00335.jpg

DSC00342.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

Well I managed to get the truck top coated. I did the stencils today, The truck is now just about done on the outside. It now leaves the interior to be fitted out. This is going to be fitted out as it should have been, when in use with the AFS.He are a few pics. Howard

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

Thanks for that guys, yes those belly boxs make a big difference, they were all ok apart from the large one,and that had to be rebuilt, quite heavy as well. Had to use two jacks to put it in position and bolt on.Howard.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks superb! Great job! The Goodyear G388 tyres look quite good actually - without the body, they looked a little big but with the 'box' back on you can hardly tell the difference visually between those and the more usual 11.00 x 20s.

Duncan.