Bedford RL AFS control unit

HWade

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok gents, well here we go, the truck arrived at mine Monday this week, the state of play is that the owner wanted the rear body removed and the cab, and aslo engine and gear box ect. The truck at the moment is now a chassis sitting on axle stands in the blasting bay. I have stripped all the brakes ect so that the back plates can also be blasted.I am hoping to have the blasting done this week but like always have a few small jobs to get out of the way. The body of the truck is very straight and in very good order, The cab is not so good but I do now have some new panels, wings, cheeks ect. I will start taking some pics and get them on here. Here is a pic of the truck at a local show, before the rebuild.

640px-Bedford_RL_reg_RYX_491_AFS_Mobile_Control_Room_-_Rougham_Airfield_-_Woolpit_09_-_IMG_1441.jpg

Edited by HWade

Work on the Bedford is going well, I managed to get the chassis in Gloss black today, and I have also started stripping out the cab ready for blasting. there is a bit of rot in the cab, but nothing to major. But the blasting will find all the rotten areas that i cant see.

Heres 3 pics of the chassis and drums in the black gloss.I hope to get all the hubs and new brake cylinders on tomorrow so i can have a rolling chassis, and get it into the workshop.

Howard

IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

Brief update for the Bedford, I managed to get the two rear brakes refitted along with the hubs and the drums, thats all for today, hope to get the fronts done tomorrow, thats if I get time,off to Heathrow Airport, so hope the traffics ok.

Howard

Well I managed to get a few hours in before going of to Heathrow, I managed to get the front brakes rebuilt and refit the hubs, and also the drums.I have attached a pic. Should have the chassis back on wheels tomorrow to move it into the workshop ready for fitting the new brake lines.

Howard

IMAG0203.jpg

Well after getting the cab stripped out, I set to and blasted what I could get to today, and have uncovered alot of rot in different places. After blasting I removed the front wings, these will now be relaced with some new ones, which luckily I have on the shelf, the other panels that I am going to have to replace will be the front cheek panels these have both rotted out at the bottom, also one of the vents have seen better days.both side steps are showing signs of rot, and both front mud guard panels are also rough, but I can use these as a pattern to have some re fabricated.There is also some holes in the back of the cab at the bottom of the windows, so more welding to be done there.The cab runners underneath the cab are also rotten so again I will cut out a nice piece to use as a pattern and have this made.here are a few pics of whats gone on so far.

IMAG0679.jpg

IMAG0677.jpg

IMAG0675.jpg

Edited by HWade

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more of an update on the control unit. I managed to get the engine blasted and primed today, also two of the seat bases as well. Should be top coating the engine tomorrow. can then think about geting bit bolted back on to it, and refitting into the chassis.

IMAG0725.jpg

Well yesterday I spent welding in new metal to the floor supports of the cab, and got most of this done. Its now time to remove the side steps and spot weld in the new ones.After these I hope to get in the cheek panels, I will take some pics today,not sure about tomorrow, I have a Chevrolet 1.5 ton chassis coming for blasting and priming so that will keep me tied up for tomorrow.

Regards Howard

I worked a bit later last night and managed to get the engine back into the chassis, will be blasting the radiator surround, and other parts tomorrow, so get what needs to be on the chassis before the cab goes back on. I have also made a start welding up the cab.

IMAG0736.jpg

I have now been working on some of the small parts that go on the chassis before the body and cab. I removed the radiator from the cowling and blasted and painted the cowl, I also managed to blast and paint some of the other pieces. The radiator should be fitted in next week. I will take some more pics then, I would like to be getting on quicker, but I am working this in amongst other jobs coming in.

Thanks Howard

• 2 months later...

Its been a while since I updated the rebuild of the Bedford RL, Well the cab is now back on the chassis after the welding repairs have been carried out, the fuel tank has also been primed and top coated in black gloss paint.The roof and and the back of the cab have also been prepped and painted, I have also painted the top half of the inside of the cab in the cream colour that it should be.. I am now putting all of the front panels on and lining it all up before the cheek panels get welded back in place, and the front wings get bolted back on. Well thats about it bit of a quick update but it gives you an idea of whats been going on. Heres a misty pic just for Clive!

Howard

IMAG0788.jpg

Cracking on with the RL today,I managed to get all of the front end on,and lined up. I have now stripped part of it down, and I am now welding the cheek panels back in position, I had to fabricate the curves of metal that the cheek panels bolt to, as these had rotted away.I was very pleased how it has all lined up.Heres a couple of pics with the front end all back on for lining up.I shall carry on with the welding tomorrow.Then start reparing it for painting. Well thats it for now. Howard

DSC00098.JPG

DSC00097.JPG

Edited by HWade

Heres another update on the Bedford. Both cheek panels are welded back in place, and the front wings are also on.As are the side steps, I am just waiting for some inner panels to turn up and these to can be fitted on. Well thats it for now I will take some more pics on monday.

Howard

Well yet another good day on the Bedford RL , all of the welding is done, and I got all of the front of the cab prepped and primed with the last coat of primer.I also managed to get the front grill and top panel painted in the Dark Bronze Green.I do still have the doors to prep and paint, plus some other smaller items. Howard

DSC00111.JPG

DSC00112.JPG

DSC00109.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Heres an update on the rebiuld the inside of the cab is now totally painted out as are the doors. I preped and top coated the outside of the cab today. I am hoping to start the rewire later this week, once done this will allow me to refit the radiator and give her a run,the next plan is to get the front of the body prepped and painted and then put the body back on the truck. I can then get it into the shop for prepping and painting the rest of the body. Thats it for now I will take some pics and post tomorrow.

Howard

another update for all you Bedford lovers, the cab has now been painted and I am on the rewire of the vehicle, I have upgraded some of the wiring and fitted a modern day fuse box along with fued relays for the lighting. I have also allowed in the wiring loom for reversing lights rear fogs, and a amber flashing beacon as requested by the customer. I should have all of the wiring finished next week. The plan then will be to paint the front of the body and get it back onto the chassis.heres a few pics

DSC00199.JPG

DSC00200.JPG

DSC00201.JPG

DSC00202.JPG