Bedford RL winch

ACH

Question

I managed to pick up the PTO for my RL, I did intend mounting the Garwood winch I have in the chassis at the rear like the New Zealand RLs I'd seen on the net but the chap I got the PTO from had nearly all the belly winch set up from the RL recovery truck.

I've noticed while I've been doing some research that the GS winch truck feeds the cable down the drivers side of the chassis but the recovery version feeds down the passenger side of the chassis. Out of interest does anyone know why this was?

I wonder is somebody would be kind enough to furnish me with some pictures of the positions of the rollers and guides on the side of the chassis from the recovery RL as mine will not have any of the holes in the chassis to bolt them to. I would also be grateful if somebody has some pics of the winch in the chassis so I can work out it's position and mounting points for the various bits.

I know I haven't got the prop from the PTO to the winch, the rear fairleads and cable guides (the recovery version would be no good so I'm looking for the standard GS ones). Also is there an extra cross member between the transfer box and the back of the winch, is there a guide roller between the winch and the rear fairlead assembly like on the QL?

If anybody knows where there is a complete vehicle I could look at, which isn't too far away from Lowestoft, Suffolk it would be nice to have a look myself and do some measuring.

I'll try and get some pics of what I've got. Do the two versions both use the same winch?

Cheers

Adam

4 answers to this question

Like to say thank you to Butch for letting me look at his RL today, very helpful, there are differences between the two versions, would still like to see the RL recovery version FV13115 but it's given me an idea how it fits in and the other bits I need for my truck now.

Thank you for replying to my post djwalker.

To be honest it's rather handy as I had to stop working on the project due to ill health, but I'm intending making a start again soon.

I really do need to get the winch in the chassis so any help would be gratefully received.

A copy of the fitting instructions for the winch would be helpful as it would give the correct positions for drilling the holes in the chassis.

Also I still need the winch to PTO prop shaft.

I would still like to look at the recovery version, I could take a load of measurements and photographs.