Colditz Castle

I have just returned from a brief trip to Dresden, Germany where the whole object of the visit was to visit Colditz Castle. As a boy I was brought up on the Pat Reid books, Tv series and the films. With it being behind the Iron Curtain, I never thought that a visit would be possible but it is.

The (East) Germans were never told what part it played during the war and they are only now beginning to realise how much European and British interest there is in the site. It is owned by the state of Saxony and they are in the process of renovating it. They are still discovering caches and hides containing contraband and escape items.

ColditzEntrance.jpg

Colditz Entrance

EscapeAttempts.jpg

Look at the number of attempts the Brits made

GliderPlans.jpg

Glider Plans

AireyNeaveEscapeHole.jpg

Airey Neave Escape Hole

EscapeTools.jpg

Escape Tools

GermanQuarters.jpg

German Quarters

There are more pics to come if people want. The visit is well worth while and the atmosphere amazing. Channel 4 is doing a follow up film next year to the one where they made a repro of the glider and flew it. They are hoping to fly an actual glider from the roof, launching it with a bath of rubble as per the original plans.

def more photos please! ..:D

I recall reading one of the biographies about the place and especially reading about one tunnel that was constructed under the floor of the theatre into the wall of the castle.:)..

....apparantly things were going well but once under the floor they found their way blocked by a substantial oak beam about 10" thick...........the only 'saw' they had was an ordinary dinner knife that they had somehow managed to cut teeth into... a bit like a minature bow saw I guess..having cut through the first beam they found another 4 or 5 behind it spaced through the floor.......christ knows how long it must have taken nor the patience and sheer determination but... they managed to work their way through the lot.......sadly I think this tunnel was discovered before it could be used though.:embarrassed:..

Absolutely great stuff ! looking forward to seeing more !!!

Talking of reproductions!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51271[/ATTACH]

Cant remember the full story but as you can guess the one on the right was the prisoner/escapist

Eddie.

Story is; Man on the RIGHT is the camp electrician a local man known as Willi. The escapee (on the left) is a French Officer Lt Perodeau. He got as far as going out the main gate, but was caught by an observant guard who noticed the mans scarf was a different colour to the one Willi always wore.

Got the details of this escape attempt from a book I have. Colditz,The German story by Reinhold Eggers. Eggers was one of the security officers at Colditz from 1940 through to the end of the war. His book is good reading seeing it from the Germans point of view. After the war the Russians sentenced him to 10 years hard labour for his part in the war.

Excellent thread and pictures can't wait for more of them.