CVR(T) Sabre

sirhc

My latest project (starting this weekend) is this Sabre. It needs an engine, dampers, periscopes and replica weapons. I am planning to strip it down and get everything blasted and painted up. I am also going to fit brand new wheels and track so it should look like a new one when I'm finished!

I'll post more photos in here as I progress.

Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have started on the Sabre today. We dragged it out of its hole and took the lid off to find a few deep rusty puddles. We drilled some holes to let the water out, next job is getting it all clean and ready for an engine.

Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]

• 1 month later...

We spent 2 days on the Sabre this week, shame it rained today. I bought a totally reconditioned engine a few weeks ago, it had been dropped and the mounts damaged. The broken mount was fixed thanks to Andy, and the engine installed. It fired first time and I took it for a drive around the yard :-)

Chris

width=614 height=461http://www.sirhc.co.uk/1.jpg[/img]

width=608 height=456http://www.sirhc.co.uk/2.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://www.sirhc.co.uk/3.jpg[/img]

Mark,

It is a Jaguar J60, which is a militaried 6 cylinder Jaguar XK engine, 4.2L. It was used in many Jaguar cars and is not too different to the one in the E-Type. I was lucky in finding one which was in such good condition!

Chris

Hi Chris, that is the best looking J60 engine i have seen.Note the Kigas jets fitted to Inlet manifold.Lots of these engines fitted with Kigas jets all haveCon rods through the block,i suppose driver running engine in dragster mode.Do you have any instructions on replacing a J60 Head Gasket set.Thanks :-D

Yep the Kigas system is installed on the engine but I have not connected it up. One of the other engines I have had it installed too, but I left it off when I put it in the Fox. I have not changed the head gasket yet, but I am told it is simple. Just mark up the positions of the cam shafts, chains, gears etc. I expect you can find something somewhere on the internet which explains how to do it?

Chris

Hi Chris, that is the best looking J60 engine i have seen.Note the Kigas jets fitted to Inlet manifold.Lots of these engines fitted with Kigas jets all haveCon rods through the block,i suppose driver running engine in dragster mode.

They did not have to use Kigass to destroy a J60. I have had to rectify the aftermath of a good many when in service. On CVR(T) vehicles, before the driveshaft was replaced with the Layrub coupling type, they suffered broken cranks as well.

Richard

Yep thats the Sabre I've just put the engine in.

It will have a complete rebuild at some point, but for now I just wanted to get it going and check everything works. Being stored outside it makes it very difficult to do much to it during the winter, especially cleaning up the insides which is most of the work it needs. Every time I go over to see it there's more water in it to drain out! :cry:

The suspension dampers are missing, when I get those it'll be roadworthy and I can move it around if I need to. Now its running I have discovered that the alternator bearings are knackered so I'll need to get that fixed, not an easy job on these vehicles!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Why are the Suspension Dampers always missing on these vehicles???There was a MOD sale before christmas in Stafford, one lot had 40 sets of CVRT Gunners Night Sights(image intensified), yes the big long one with gen 1 tube.Do you know ho got these and how much they want for one.There should be more released soon as the are part up the update programme for BGTI Sights.

Peter,

The dampers which are always missing are the later Messier type - those in the sale were Armstrongs, which are basically taken from a bus! The MoD have been slowly upgrading the vehicles to the Messiers, and they have taken Messiers off vehicles they've sold off to go back on others. I did see those night sights, and I do need one, but I have no idea who got them. I've been waiting for them to come up for sale!

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a quick update on the Sabre restoration.

I've now sourced most of the bits on the shopping list, and work is progressing well, if a bit slowly. I have fitted a set of Armstrong dampers, the correct Messier dampers proved too expensive at this stage. the interor is stripped, and all the bits painted.

The turret floor is very corroded and is now ready for needle scaling and a coat of bilge paint. The exterior is also stripped, and the bits ready to go to the blasters. I've also needle scaled about 1/2 of the outside ready for new paint.

The Sabre is also now road registered, and taxed, so I can't wait to get it finished so I can take it for a drive. I did have a small problem when driving it round the farm yesterday, when I got some speed up down the straight and put it in 6th gear the engine seemed to loose power. :shake: Maybe the 4 year old fuel isn't burning very well? When I stopped, went down the box and started up again it drove fine!? :dunno:

Chris

width=640 height=480http://www.sirhc.co.uk/gallery/album/CVRT%20Sabre/IMG_1939.JPG[/img]

width=640 height=480http://www.sirhc.co.uk/gallery/album/CVRT%20Sabre/IMG_1940.JPG[/img]