A&E 2012 - rubbers only

Morning all,

OK - I had a meeting with the Highways Dept last Friday and the conclusion is that it is rubber tracked tanks/tractors only.

Ironically this was down to my decision and I am happy with it as I don't want any grey areas. They has been millions of pounds spent on new roads down into Weymouth and Dorchester in time for the Olympics next year - I do not want to risk any future events for us.

The small steeled tracked carriers are more than welcome because they are light.

Any questions then please fire away.

Cheers,

JB!

Any chance the Cromwell could be fitted with tracks from a 432 or chieftain or something? Not strictly accurate i know but better to have it there like that than not at all. I remember seeing a T-55 at Kemble that had been fitted with hush puppy track from centurion. Eddy?

Richard

buggar !!! now that poses a problem or two for those of us with real tanks :D i haven't given up hope as 432 tracks are about right on width and guage so it's a possibility or i could twist somebodies arm and tow it behind a diamond t with trailer or maybe just have it as a static display which is possible as i will have the tank in dorset for tankfest anyway so it won't be such a hassle as bringing it from manchester, we'll see and if all else fails i'll just bring the carrier and save myself a fortune. watch this space !

rick

What a shame. It isn't surprising to be honest, as no one is going to take the responsibility that NO damage is going to result of using steel tracks. Going by tanks in town, a tank on a wartime trailer is still quite impressive and if jack could sweet talk some of the field owners around the campsite you would still get some off road driving, some of those hill tracks we walked around with the dogs were steep.

I can tell when I am not wanted! Funny really as Wolverhampton were quite miffed I was not available to drive around the town in June and I just did about 5 miles on roads in Lincolnshire in August with of course no damage. Fact is that heavy tanks plus rubber grip the top layer of tarmac and twist it from the lower layers if you drive "roughly" whereas steel tracks (without ice cleats) just slide over the top layer, marking your passage with white crushed gravel dust that just washes away in the first rain shower.

Ah well, never mind.

I am sorry about that guys but I just can't risk it. This is a private run event - just me - I don't have any associations or groups standing behind me. So the risk is all mine :sweat:

We have the whole worlds media decending on Dorset from May 2012 in the build up to the Olympics - can you imagine if we left trails of tank marks all around Dorchester and Weymouth, dusting all the white lines off all the new roundabouts :sweat: :sweat::sweat:

Eddy - is there anything at all you can do to overcome this????

evening all , hmm hand on chin steel track rubber track i agree with john about tarmac pulling but as i am never one for controversy :angel: i can understand why jack has decided on rubber track only .any how might rule us out for our m4/105 which is a shame, be nice to have a run out (when its finished )

also any chance off banning pink shirts ......:D

iain

i'm not one to give up easily and if it can be done then this forum is the place to get the answers on how to do it and even if we don't get to drive on the road then i'm sure i can get someone with a war time rig to tow me on a trailer, i know of a fella in yorkshire with the only scammel tractor and 30 ton trailer combination known to exist, now that with a cromwell on the back would be something worth seeing. don't give up on the cromwell yet as there's more than one way to skin a cat.

rick

As said before rubber can cause as much if not more damage than steel tracks! Although i see why this would seem to be a good way of protecting yourself from potential damage to the roads in a build up to the olympics what will happen if its a really hot day and some of the bigger tanks rip up the road with rubbers?! Does that not leave you in a vunerable situation anyway jack?!

Back in '89 on the Normandy tour, we were down south in Bagnoles. The town hosted us and one day, a hot one, all the vehicles lined up in the street, ready for a parade through the town. Guess what ... all the tanks with rubber pads were pulled out and only those with all steel were allowed to run, including a Cromwell (Budge). Those with rubber were lifting the bitumen, while the steel were just sliding, leaving white marks only.

Only hope it is not hot in June next year or there could be problems in Weymouth ......... new tarmac and rubber pads

i'm not one to give up easily and if it can be done then this forum is the place to get the answers on how to do it and even if we don't get to drive on the road then i'm sure i can get someone with a war time rig to tow me on a trailer, i know of a fella in yorkshire with the only scammel tractor and 30 ton trailer combination known to exist, now that with a cromwell on the back would be something worth seeing. don't give up on the cromwell yet as there's more than one way to skin a cat.

rick

Some old Pirellis, a hacksaw and a tube on No Nails:D Can't guarantee they will stay on though.

Can see arguments both ways, but surely if the vehicle is in a road worthy/legal condition steel or rubber should not be an issue.

But I do see where Jack is coming from. He is thinging of A&E 2013/14

Mike

Some old Pirellis, a hacksaw and a tube on No Nails:D Can't guarantee they will stay on though.

Can see arguments both ways, but surely if the vehicle is in a road worthy/legal condition steel or rubber should not be an issue.

But I do see where Jack is coming from. He is thinging of A&E 2013/14

Mike

There is a specified minimum area of ground contact and ground pressure in the regs for tracklaying vehicles.

As said before rubber can cause as much if not more damage than steel tracks! Although i see why this would seem to be a good way of protecting yourself from potential damage to the roads in a build up to the olympics what will happen if its a really hot day and some of the bigger tanks rip up the road with rubbers?! Does that not leave you in a vunerable situation anyway jack?!

OK if you take away the fact that rubbers can do damage if the conditions are hot - we would have to have a long stretch of very hot weather for this to happen. We don't seem to have days like that anymore. We will be travelling along about 6 different road surfaces - from country lanes to trunk roads.

As I said before - we do not want white marks left behind from Maiden Newton to and around Dorchester and Weymouth.

This is a video that I took whilst in Mons on Mikes Hellcat - scroll through until about 1.50 secs and looks at the road on left hand side of the screen and the marks left behind by steels -

the way i see it is the decision has been made, it's rubber or nothing ! so all those with steel tracks have to switch to rubber or get towed on a trailer. that's about the long and the short of it.

rick

Thats right Rick and love your positive attitude!

Alastair makes a good point, last time there was an intention to use the farm tracks to the south west of the camp. This did not happen but perhaps we could firm this up for next year. It was about a 3 mile course and personally, I feel it would be more fun than going on the road......:D

I did have a play in the area to the north but I was the only one. If we did have the use of the tracks, then at least we could all do some proper tanking.

rick

Having that Scammell / Valentine combo along would not be a second best option, it would look great and should be quite a draw for a large non military audience. Go for it Rick!

Alastair makes a good point, last time there was an intention to use the farm tracks to the south west of the camp. This did not happen but perhaps we could firm this up for next year. It was about a 3 mile course and personally, I feel it would be more fun than going on the road......:D

I did have a play in the area to the north but I was the only one. If we did have the use of the tracks, then at least we could all do some proper tanking.

All in the plan Adrian - ask Jim about the tracks - I didn't get any footage of it as Jess, Jamie and I were kind of hanging on for dear life but it was amazing going down through on a Sherman..............think Jim stopped just in time for the bridge :sweat:

We don't want none of them negative waves........ woof woof!

Not saying too much right now BUT lets just say, Donald Sutherlands agent and I.........................................:angel::angel::angel::angel::angel::angel:

:coffee: