Porpoise ammuniation sled

How interesting that someone should ask!

The hull was a Mk1 (sized to fit between tracks of a Valentine) and the covers were from a Mk2(sized to fit between the tracks of a Sherman or Cromwell.

The hull had to be virtually re-fabricated, it was in such a bad state.

So at my suggestion we re-fabricated it as a Mk2!

Sorry for any purists out there - but it was much easier than fabricating Mk1 covers or making those we had fit a Mk1!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the work is finally finished and the Porpoise is in place. Please visit either of the two "porpoise restoration pages" at the museum website -

http://goldbeachmusee.fr/

to see pictures of the final stages.

Nothing yet decided about an inauguration ceremony - all the locals seem distracted by other matter at the minute. :-)

Will let you all know when a date is decided though.

• 4 months later...

Morning Alex.

No expiry date mate, we're there there often (but not often enough!). Our next trip will probably be around mid-November.

We'll certainly be there for at least a week around 6th June 2014, as an all-British camp is planned again - bigger, better and even more spectacular than before!

There are some pictures of the inauguration at http://www.goldbeachmusee.org.uk/FRPorpoise-1.htm

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, that was it. Not much of a success in 2009, so let's try again in 2014, maybe now focussed on a certain time, in stead of the whole day. I know you were there with the QL, along with a C60X and an Aussie Chev MCP.

Hi Alex,

I arrived in the QL accompanied by a friend in the Aussie Chev, who is also a MLU forum member, "Motto". We had been on an organised run with the MVT, so a bit late if I recall. Hope to be there in 2014.

Dah, dum, dum....tsee.....
:D

We should have another go at that MLU meetup in 2014 as well, Richard.

Geoff...by the way. The last time I was in Ver-sur-Mer one of the bunkers was being converted into a villa!

Morning Alex, morning all.

Indeed, the bunker that you speak of was bought a few years ago by someone, with the intention of turning it into a studio for his daughter. Since then work has progressed intermittently - but I've not seen any progress for a while. Will have a chat to the chap on who's land it stands next time I see him.

• 4 months later...
Sounds excellent! 2014 it is!

Will certainly come have a look at the camp in 2014.....missed it in 2009!....I don't know how, but we weren't able to find it....:blush:

It should be easier to find in 2014 - the museum have just arranged the purchase of a captive "barrage" balloon to be flown for the period of the camp! All we need now is a crew for it.......

I'd not seen that photo before eddie - not sure if they're porpoises though - the shape of the front seems wrong. I'm sure that they were put to use for that purpose though.

I'd not seen that photo before eddie - not sure if they're porpoises though - the shape of the front seems wrong. I'm sure that they were put to use for that purpose though.

Nope, those were intended to carry soldiers into action! Look closely at the photo , you'll see soldiers huddling inside the sledges.

H.

It should be easier to find in 2014 - the museum have just arranged the purchase of a captive "barrage" balloon to be flown for the period of the camp! All we need now is a crew for it.......

NO!!!!!!! I'm quite happy to cross the channel by boat! Besides I'll have Katy to nurse. >:(

Tony, you know fine well what I mean.

Part of the hire conditions for the balloon are that it is "supervised" once aloft, and brought down in case of high wind or thundery activity.

Jean-Pierre, bless him, has asked if we'll help with that, as we'll be on site. So I'm looking for a crew of BOPs (Pam tells me that the WAAFs who did such things were known as that - like OWLs I guess!)

I had noticed the figures in the sleds on Eddie's picture by the way - my point was that I'm sure Porpoises were used as extemporised transport, too.

Tony, you know fine well what I mean.

Part of the hire conditions for the balloon are that it is "supervised" once aloft, and brought down in case of high wind or thundery activity.

Jean-Pierre, bless him, has asked if we'll help with that, as we'll be on site. So I'm looking for a crew of BOPs (Pam tells me that the WAAFs who did such things were known as that - like OWLs I guess!)

I had noticed the figures in the sleds on Eddie's picture by the way - my point was that I'm sure Porpoises were used as extemporised transport, too.

That's what I'm worried about mate! Whose going up the wire to check? :D Remeber the Dad's Army episode? By the by there was a TAF airfeild nearby wasn't there? I read a tale somwhere that RAF Erck's were used to walk ballons about tied to thier waists. One day the wind blew and the poor guy did three counties.

• 1 month later...

The second picture looks to be a "Greenland Sledge" as featured in "Combined Operations Pamphlet No 35A - Royal Engineers (1943)". It is the larger of two sleds covered in this pamphlet as being available to the RE for carrying equipment ashore.

Noel