Porpoise ammuniation sled

Afternoon everyone.

We've just spent a very enjoyable morning dragging a PORPOISE out of a Norman hedge, and recovering it to a workshop.

Now the restoration starts.

When completed it will be placed behind the Sexton in the Espace Robert Kiln on the D514 coast road in Ver sur Mer, opposite the memorials.

My job once I'm back in UK is the research.

Anyone know of any other surviving examples, in the UK or elsewhere?

Pictures? (1944 or later)

Records of service? How many were made? Who made them?

The sled is missing its covers, so copies will have to be fabricated. Therefore copies of original plans will be most useful.

Thanks for any help you can offer, via these means or any other.

Edited by geoffleese

Damn! You noticed!

Lovely to hear from you Tony, haven't seen you for too long.

You know you're always welcome here.

The museum are paying for the restoration and explanatory panel - bilingual, that's where my work will be - and the town are paying for the concrete plinth to put it on when finished.

Crikey!!!! :).....

I'm glad you fellas know what you're looking at when you find stuff like that under a hedge... cos I'd have walked straight by it muttering summat to myself such as...

"uh huh....rusted out cattle trough....mmmm...nothing of interest to you there smiffy......move swiftly along now, come on... keep looking for all those Tiger Tanks that must be around here somewhere... nothing to see here...." :D

Strangely enough, the previous "owner" ( well, we left it on his land in June 44) used it as exactly that!

When the base rusted out and it wouldn't hold water, he flung it in the hedge and forgot about it.

We are still looking for that "barn find" Tiger tank though............. ;)

Strangely enough, the previous "owner" ( well, we left it on his land in June 44) used it as exactly that!

When the base rusted out and it wouldn't hold water, he flung it in the hedge and forgot about it.

We are still looking for that "barn find" Tiger tank though............. ;)

hahaha ! you , me and at least another couple of thousand folk I reckons!

.........having said that.....there's a little Museum just along the road heading west from the big US cemetary at Omaha that the fella has some staggering exhibits in ....if you get him chatting you'll find many of them have been found in Normandy... in sheds, barns, lying under hedges etc.....got me quite fuelled when he show me a BAR that was more or less in working order which he very coyly admitted was found 'locally' hidden away in a farm shed only a few years before.....outside the musuem he also had a ramp off a landing craft which had been lying only a mile or so away from his museum til he ...ahem...'saved it'........

....so the morale of the story is ...none of us know exactly what may still be lying out there somewhere..

maybe not a Tiger ?....but...who knows?.......

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

As far as I know, there are no surviving Porpoise left in the uk, unless another found in like condition. There is one along with the Cenaturs in th oggin off selsey bill. Having a chat with David Fletcher one day about said centaurs and porpoise, Tank Museum haven't got an example and DF hadn't seen one. I think there is a picture of one in his osprey book about the centaurs, which were towing them during D-Day.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening evryone.

There's news! Some covers have been found, about a mile away , parts of a shed!

mystery is, they've been measured and they're too big.

Does this imply there are at least two variants of this thing?

Anyone any idea who made them? How and where we might find plans?

• 6 months later...