Antar Mk3 on Milweb

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A chrome wheel nut eh??

I have a hubcap off the front axle that I have been meaning to turn into a workshop clock since 1982 but not got round to yet. Maybe as part of this job I will finally do it.

I used to have a perfect chrome "ANTAR" off the front of one too but not sure where that ended up.

Sadly the inside of the cab of the gate guardian isn't going to get done (it will get tidied up and blanking plates put over the dash)

As far as the panels are concerned I have always counted on the fact that I will be making them which is pretty much why I got the job in the first place (ie mad enough to attempt it..). I keep telling myself that it is no worse than a clients classic Renault 4 that I have just done the chassis and bodywork for.

Just a wee bit bigger thats all.

PaulChecked the shed, nothing there!! We did have loose wheel bearings though. I rememeber them well as my sister dropped one through the bottom of bath when we were kids.Checked in with my Dad, all the spares went to RLC Burscough (was REME Command) Workshops when Fazakerley closed. I have it on good authority there were plenty of bits loaded on the transporters going there.With Burscough shut the parts are either skipped or knowing what happens with MoD ILS they are still there but in another depot. Long shot but I might know which. Will PM you.Cheers

Trust me I,m right. In exchange I would like you to let me know what the chassis number is of the one you currently have ?

Ill trust you - that'll save me a job looking on monday then :-D

The other one is over in Yorkshireland, but if I think on Ill ask someone to get it for me.

As for playing with Antar wheel bearings in the bath I am seriously impressed.....Normal kids would have had a rubber duck or a slightly knackered Airfix HMS Hood but ooooh no - not in Fazakerley!

PaulChecked the shed, nothing there!! We did have loose wheel bearings though. I rememeber them well as my sister dropped one through the bottom of bath when we were kids.Checked in with my Dad, all the spares went to RLC Burscough (was REME Command) Workshops when Fazakerley closed. I have it on good authority there were plenty of bits loaded on the transporters going there.With Burscough shut the parts are either skipped or knowing what happens with MoD ILS they are still there but in another depot. Long shot but I might know which. Will PM you.Cheers

Dont worry - theres nowt I need that I cant make, apart from maybe a bivvie cover.

Thanks to Steve and Paul for the pictures. Well done, good news shots.

Anybody know yet the army reg/chassis number of the 'new' gate guardian; very interested to know.

Can't guess who bought '61', there are just no clues!! (Sorry couldn't resist it!)

Regards.

M.

Heres the video of the gate guardian one arriving here:

I must say I did mutter a small "bloody hell" to myself when the driver called me and told me the way he was coming (which would take him through the town of Appleby) He seemed to manage OK though and I got quite misty eyed remembering my Antars threading though Hameln in amongst the german population!

Its a funny thing though - the one in Steves pictures looks a hell of a lot better than the one in my shed, but it isnt really, as the "good" one is a testament to the incredible qualities of Army paint and black nasty.

Still, we will get the one here sorted in no time at all!

Do you mean Daysbrook?

Today i saw .............

Well Paul, your next `winter project` is on it`s way. Good job i had me camera at work today !

If you find the time will be good to see a photo diary of how you`re getting on.

Best of luck

Steve H

Steve

Any chance of sending me some higher resolution images? rustytrucks@mail2world.com is the address. Also can they be used in an article in one of the historic commercial magazines? Cheers Paul.

• 1 month later...

As they might say down there in Lancashire - we on wi'it!

Its a slow process though. I have never had to order sheet steel by the acre before....

I did put a bit of an update in the "blogs" section under Tales from a Big Shed, plus I am just about to stick some stuff on the trusty rustytrucks website.

Next week sees me locking horns (and industrial tinsnips) with the front mudguards. My Christmas list starts with "Antar Windscreens" (although I will probably have to make do with slippers and a bottle of malt as usual).

As for the other one I will make an enquiry or two and let everyone know.

I promise to have a look tomorrow - its a funny thing because I was cutting the front wings off last week and while I was in amongst it I thought hold up - I must make a note of the chassis number from the chassis plate on the nearside chassis leg.

Then in a flurry of plasma induced tumbling metal I forgot. I think though its already been identified on an earlier post in this thread, but we'll see.

Anyway I am now the proud owner of two piles of bent and rusty metal that once graced the flanks of this particular beastie - and a somewhat nekkid beastie (see the photo below). Next week the fabrication of the replacements begins (I wont be putting them on just yet though, not till we have payed homage to the God of Sandblasting). Mind you I had a grumpy moment or two when it came to the nearside mudguard which had appeared in better nick than the one on the starboard side. No flipping wonder - it was full of filler thanks presumably to some altercation or other in a former life.

Which explains the sport with the plasma cutter. They hate bodyfiller you know..

PC067207.jpg