Antar Mk3 on Milweb

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I spoke to the seller last thursday evening, he says it is complete but they have not had it running but sees no reason why it won't run. As previously stated all the parts that could be removed without it affecting its outside appearance are for sale to fund a cosmetic refurbishment of the outside of the vehicle. An absolute shame and further proof of how skint the mod are !

I spoke to the seller last thursday evening, he says it is complete but they have not had it running but sees no reason why it won't run. As previously stated all the parts that could be removed without it affecting its outside appearance are for sale to fund a cosmetic refurbishment of the outside of the vehicle. An absolute shame and further proof of how skint the mod are !

Dont think its the MOD paying for refurb but the RCT association, I think a Stolly is also in line

The stalwart is done and looks fantastic. Next up is a Saxon (in a NI setting). The Antar is also on the cards. Sadly it has to be funded by the team there at the School - it is a bit of a stretch to ask the taxpayer to do it, and neither is it a good idea to use soldiers welfare funds. So it is good old self help I fear. Now I have looked at the Antar (last week as it happens) and I am an old Antar man and can confirm that mechanically it seems in very good shape and would render some excellent spares to keep those Antars that are on the road - er - on the road. Its not like you can pop into Halfords for a 3rd diff (and if I had an Antar I would definitely have a spare 3rd diff....). At least it isn't going to be cut up but restored (at least cosmetically) and put on display.

The school is alive and kicking by the way - with over 1200 vehicles and 18000 students a year - they teach everything with wheels from quad bike to the latest armoured vehicles like MASTIFF and WOLFHOUND. Its an amazing place but the thinking is that a reminder or two for the youngsters coming through of what vehicles used to look like would add a bit to their general education.

If anyone wants to chat about the Antar they can chat to a nice fella called Bob (the number is on the MILWEB add) or me on 07979 720466.

Edited by paulbrook

• 2 weeks later...
Oh sorry - just remembered

I have some pics of the Antar here:

http://s484.photobucket.com/albums/rr206/RustyTrucks/Antar%20Mk%203/

It is one of my old ones - 3 Tk Tptr Sqn RCT who were based in Sennelager, Germany.

Wow mine was 12DM60, which I restored between 1988 - 92 now residing in Basingstoke. Any chance you can get me the chassis number ?

John.

Hi Paul :)

It`s a small World (we work at the same place !!).

Yup been wondering what was happening to the Antar. If you do 1/2 as good a job as the Stally turned out it will look very good. Is it a left over from the Transport Museum & how long do you think it`s going to take to get it to `show` standard ? Once in place it should really set the scene for our `customers` as they turn up at the main gate.

Attached a few pics which iv`e been meaning to put on this site.

What about the `Mosquito` are you involved in that restoration?

Keep up the good work

Steve H

(will send a private message later Paul)

P1000848 (1024x768).jpg

P1000857 (1024x768).jpg

P1000863 (1024x768).jpg

P1000858 (1024x768).jpg

P1000859 (1024x768).jpg

Pictur 028 (1024x768).jpg

The stalwart is done and looks fantastic. Next up is a Saxon (in a NI setting). The Antar is also on the cards. Sadly it has to be funded by the team there at the School - it is a bit of a stretch to ask the taxpayer to do it, and neither is it a good idea to use soldiers welfare funds. So it is good old self help I fear. Now I have looked at the Antar (last week as it happens) and I am an old Antar man and can confirm that mechanically it seems in very good shape and would render some excellent spares to keep those Antars that are on the road - er - on the road. Its not like you can pop into Halfords for a 3rd diff (and if I had an Antar I would definitely have a spare 3rd diff....). At least it isn't going to be cut up but restored (at least cosmetically) and put on display.

The school is alive and kicking by the way - with over 1200 vehicles and 18000 students a year - they teach everything with wheels from quad bike to the latest armoured vehicles like MASTIFF and WOLFHOUND. Its an amazing place but the thinking is that a reminder or two for the youngsters coming through of what vehicles used to look like would add a bit to their general education.

If anyone wants to chat about the Antar they can chat to a nice fella called Bob (the number is on the MILWEB add) or me on 07979 720466.

I understand the problems of funding a restoration in these days. But having spent 14 years overhauling these lovely's, the thought of butchering her leaves me feeling ill.

Well I suppose that I could hide behind the statement that its what the customer wants (a stripped out vehicle raises the cash to have it done - and dispite the lovely pics it does need a little more than a rub down with an oily rag) but I wont - I too would love to see it running again. If someone would like to give me a blank cheque (or about £12-15K cash) I will make a start....

And I think I may be mistaken - it may not be a 3 Sqn one (dispite the 3 Sqn lookalike bumper strips) as I now understand it to have been 414 TTU/19 Sqn. That said I do know that it ended up with the RAF. I will grab the chassis number this week as I am off over there again for more head scratching.

If nothing else I am glad that it has raised a bit of interest, one day (soon) I will start writing my book; I just need to gather a suitably qualified legal team for all the lawsuits that are bound to happen as a result (Dvr Tk Tptr were exceptional folk but could be very very bad people....)

In the meantime I will be digging out all the pictures and cine film I can find of my Antars in action and getting them posted on my site. Sadly no sound on the cine film so you will just have to make the sound effects yourselves. (I will be OK - the soundtrack is etched indellibly on my brain).

Oh and Steve - just noted that you were RTR. A fine lot if I may say - much more switched on than many armoured units I could mention. And one of the few units that could be relied upon not to require any panzers to be winched on the way out of barracks........

Thanks for that Paul, yup as an ex `Falingbostel Warrior`we relied alot upon 16 Tank Transporter Sqn. Although i fear for the RTR`s future.....

Never one for remembering names !! `flash to bang`i now remember, it was a pleasure to work with you.

Keep up the good work on your future project.

Steve H

• 2 weeks later...

Pray tell! I am with FEC on this having had the pleasure of sitting in most of these while they went through refurb at Fazakerley. Highlight of growing up road testing on the M57.

Hope she can stay in one piece! Pity I am so far away or would be up there helping.

• 3 weeks later...

Things have been very Quiet? (recently)

Note that the advert has gone from Milweb.

Regards.

But not telling just yet.......

Suffice to say that the outcome should suit everyone who has taken an interest!

Right then my old buckets of shackles....

One very time-ravaged and poorly-looking Antar (even I drew breath when I first saw it and I am used to working on complete monsters) will be arriving in the workshop next Monday for refurbishment as a gate guardian (this one is pretty much just a rolling carcass with no innards) whilst one which was going to be a gate guardian will in fact take to the road again.

Honour is satisfied all round as not one but two Antars get a new lease of life and just to keep this thread on the boil I will post some pictures and some text of the refurbishment starting next week. I have got my snap-on panel beating tools at the ready and an extra big steel rule....

That said if anyone has any Antar panels or windows in their shed now is the time to do the right thing and donate them to this worthy cause.

As my ASM used to say - its only nuts and bolts....