daff drops question

xtreme

took my drops for mot today , the first time driving it on the motorway . at 50mph revs where in the red 2900 rpm is this normal , I thought it sounded like it could do with another gear .

thanks dan

ps hows it limited can it be removed 60mph is bad never mind 50

took my drops for mot today , the first time driving it on the motorway . at 50mph revs where in the red 2900 rpm is this normal , I thought it sounded like it could do with another gear .

thanks dan

ps hows it limited can it be removed 60mph is bad never mind 50

Dan,

To quote the specification, "Geared speed with/without 20 tonnes trailer : 75 kph". Also, in 6th gear, if you exceed 2500 rpm on the engine, the transmission automatically selects Neutral.

so if book says 75 kmh thats 46 mph so not bad for a old military lorry

maximum for lorrys are normally 56 mph so rember lorrys are slower anyway when you jump in them from your car you think you can do car speeds but stopping distance are 5 times more

Another thing to consider, if you think these trucks are slow, is that the types of tyres that were used. I have seen Foden 6x6 trucks in service where the tread blocks of similar tyres, have started to melt, because they had been doing sustained motorway driving at too high a speed. After all these DROPS were never designed for fast motorway hauling.

My drops does 50 Mph at 2400 rpm, thats just on the start of the red line. It is governed mechanically on the fuel pump. Does feel like it needs another gear though! Maybe your rev counter is reading high?

Hi xtreme.

There were also problems with the Transfer box oil boiling up due to the small amount of oil contained in the box,

and the fact that there is no oil cooler fitted. We had problems with the input and output seals leaking due to over heating of the box.

As Richard said, the Michelin tyres are an issue on sustained maximum speed motorway work. After all,they were designed as an off road tyre. I think if my memory is correct, that Michelin state max speed and time restriction on there

XL, MXL, ZXL tyres for warranty. I know this is the case on the Airport crash tenders due to there high speed (85mph) and the need to meet NFPA regulations.

Hope this is of help.

Clive

Edited by protruck
typo

I was a DROPS driver back in my army days and they only ever did 48mph on motorways...the good thing about them was that they would do the same speed cross country...yeeee haaaa!! I learnt alot about their capabilities when driving them for 6 months out in Bosnia in 1993....we put them through their paces...an excellent truck...just watch the retarder when empty in the wet!!!

My drops does 50 Mph at 2400 rpm, thats just on the start of the red line. It is governed mechanically on the fuel pump. Does feel like it needs another gear though! Maybe your rev counter is reading high?

Thanks for the reply to my question .