Worst war film ever ?

RattlesnakeBob

Hey stop with the negative waves! :angel:

"Your always with the negative waves man!" I think is the follow on......DAMN YOU ALL PEOPLE, now Ive got to go watch it ALL over again!!!! (good job I saved it and stopped my missus deleting it for Corrie!!):nut:

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

".....even the ******* grave detail is with them !!!!........"

"...Loootenant !!!..fetch my medals box!......."

"..well........a Sherman can give you a nice........edge !"

".....it's a beautiful tank!....."

followed by ".....Oddball!!......it's a piece of junk!!! ...."

ah tis a classic film ! :)

"Your always with the negative waves man!" I think is the follow on......DAMN YOU ALL PEOPLE, now Ive got to go watch it ALL over again!!!! (good job I saved it and stopped my missus deleting it for Corrie!!):nut:

I hope we are not going to start talking 'vibes' and 'groovin', with psychedelic colours, it might frighten the hounds.

I would guess.and being totally honest now.....

even if it is not technically nor historically nor whatever the reason, not the best war film ever made?..... it is, in my opinion anyways........ one of the most iconic films of the Second World War and certainly the reason why a heck of a lot of people of my age (and many others older and younger) are so into military vehicles...Shermans expecially :cool2:

I would guess.and being totally honest now.....

even if it is not technically nor historically nor whatever the reason, not the best war film ever made?..... it is, in my opinion anyways........ one of the most iconic films of the Second World War and certainly the reason why a heck of a lot of people of my age (and many others older and younger) are so into military vehicles...Shermans expecially :cool2:

Me for sure Bob - the opening sequence made me want a Jeep; my Mum and Dad took me to see it in a cinema in Wallasey as a treat one Saturday. I was nine when it was released in 1970 so a bit young for the censor's rating - it wasn't X, maybe A...

'It's a Mark VI... And we've got it by the ass!'

Coming back to Kelly's heroes.

Great film.

Lets be honest, which WW2 movie from before SPR took the effort to make a good replica of a Tiger instead of a Post war US Walker Bulldog tank with German markings.

Even a lot of the other vehicles, uniforms and gear are mostly correct.

Yes, the guys in the patrol are wearing 35th Infantry Division 'Santa Fe' patches and Oddball's wearing 'Super Sixth' 6th Armored Division patches and both of these units were in the area at the right time... How they played Hank Williams's lonesome country songs as they went into action is the stuff of fiction of course. I think there's elements of The Wild One in it and elements of Kelly's Heroes in Saving Private Ryan - the stereotype pugnacious NY Sgt for example; Big Joe and Horvath respectively.

Edited by Jolly Jeeper

Me for sure Bob - the opening sequence made me want a Jeep; my Mum and Dad took me to see it in a cinema in Wallasey as a treat one Saturday. I was nine when it was released in 1970 so a bit young for the censor's rating - it wasn't X, maybe A...

My Mum took me to Goldfinger! Still waiting for the DB5 :-D

I notice the last time it was on the Offending word had been 'Censored' out.

What you mean there was no -. .. --. --. . .-.

By all accounts the Famous Five were racist and sexist now.

They will be arresting Biggles next.

Now that was a dubious film

Mike

What you mean there was no -. .. --. --. . .-.

By all accounts the Famous Five were racist and sexist now.

They will be arresting Biggles next.

Now that was a dubious film

Mike

Yes but in 'those days' Muffin the Mule was considered children's entertainment! Not to mention THE WOODENTOPS.

Must have been the old Unit 4 cinema or the one on the corner of Seabank Road then????

I've just spent the last hour reading this thread from one end to the other -- makes you laugh how emotive some people can get -- and then there's the funny bits.

Kellys Heroes? It doesn't belong in this thread. If you like war orientated films this has to be one of the best -- no it's not factually correct -- no it's not realistic, but what it is is damn good entertainment and I haven't met anyone in our circle of friends (yes you lot) that doesn't know a line or two and a few of the characters so "Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change" -- "Crap"

Talking about what wouldn't be correct these days -- nobody has mentioned "It ain't half hot mum" which the BBC announced in 2012 would never be screened again because the editors at the beeb agreed that the show was very much out of touch with todays society (so what -- so am I!) The censors felt that the undertone of racism and catty remarks about different races and religions has no place on BBC channels. That leads me to quote Rangi Ram -- "Don't be such damn clever dickie"

Battle of the Bulge -- Wah, wah, wah. How about flying a spotter plane in fog, switching the engine off and hanging out the window to listen for squeaky tanks! I believed it because there was a war on you know and all tanks squeak. It must be true -- I saw it in the film! :cool2:

Im still here mate, born in Birkenhead Childrens Hospital (gone!), lived in Moreton and Upton all my teenage life, lived in Birkenhead and now in Bromborough!

Used to do all my drinking in Liscard and New Brighton so know the areas well.

Im still here mate, born in Birkenhead Childrens Hospital (gone!), lived in Moreton and Upton all my teenage life, lived in Birkenhead and now in Bromborough!

Used to do all my drinking in Liscard and New Brighton so know the areas well.

I'm from Heswall; primary and secondary school there, went away to college came back for first real job and then drifted away again. I've been back a lot these last few years when Mum was ill and still am to help Dad now he's on his own and suffering memory problems. I have lots of fond memories of the Wirral - not so much school but going to the cinema with my cousin every half term, sea scouts, learning to drive, first big bike and Wirral Triumph Owners MCC, canoeing, plenty of pubs... all that kind of stuff. Miss the place, I do.

There's a great film and for the life of me I can't remember it so I am throwing it out there to see if anyone can help - it goes like this....

Based on the build up to D-Day. Had the guy from LA Law in it. He was kidnapped (I think by the Bosch) and he awoke in a hospital - American one I think. Them there bad Jerrys tried to make out they were Americans and made out that D-Day had happened and tried to get him to talk about the plans for D-Day - not sure if he was Bigot or not.

Does anyone know what on earth the film was????

I've had to do a catch up with all the comments that have appeared and I have to take one to task ...:cool2:

somebody earlier said Kellys Heroes was rubbish because the plot was 'totally implausible'..???

.. well.............yes maybe it could be percieved as a bit farcial..... but!....

..I am absolutely sure, that not every single Allied Soldier was as pure as driven snow with incredibly upheld morals to go with their decency.........and in the middle of a war as big and chaotic as WW2 was???...

......I'm equally absolutely sure that some individuals, either working alone or together, would have taken advantage of any such situation for a few easy pickings that might have come their way...I know damn well that I would have anyways !

...and!!!!

I may be wrong but.....I'm sure I've read of a real life actual example of a large quantity of gold bullion bars that had been 'liberated' , which then subsequently mysteriously 'disappeared' without trace towards the end of the war ? ..I think it happened in the Obersalzburg area and a U.S. unit was thought to be responsible ? .perhaps this was the basis of what the script writers came up with??

so...my point is this

...if a truck load of bullion could go missing ?....

surely it would have been pretty damn easy for soldiers to hatch a plan to spirit away quantities of jewellery, valuable art and especially cash....so I reckon all that Kellys Heroes did really, was perhaps 'embelish the facts' a little ? ...

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

There's a great film and for the life of me I can't remember it so I am throwing it out there to see if anyone can help - it goes like this....

Based on the build up to D-Day. Had the guy from LA Law in it. He was kidnapped (I think by the Bosch) and he awoke in a hospital - American one I think. Them there bad Jerrys tried to make out they were Americans and made out that D-Day had happened and tried to get him to talk about the plans for D-Day - not sure if he was Bigot or not.

Here you go, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/36_Hours

What did I win?

D-day secrets saved by a papercut...

there's a great film and for the life of me i can't remember it so i am throwing it out there to see if anyone can help - it goes like this....

Based on the build up to d-day. Had the guy from la law in it. He was kidnapped (i think by the bosch) and he awoke in a hospital - american one i think. Them there bad jerrys tried to make out they were americans and made out that d-day had happened and tried to get him to talk about the plans for d-day - not sure if he was bigot or not.

yes a clever and entertaining film.....starred james garner and eva maria saint....now was it called....24 hours?....or 3 days ? Not sure.. But i hope someone can help......!