Could this be specs to build boxes to transport clover as a food supply for cattle for the Army Service Corps (ASC)?

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew yes they are the specifications for packing cases & indeed for the ASC but not food supply for cattle.

Hefty/strong cases, max weight 80lbs.

First thought was CORDITE, 60 Tins, but that's hardly edible!!!

Spec for COMPO, 60 Tins, a form of Ration Crate? I thought the 14-man crate but 60 into 14 dosen't really go!!

Alec.

Edited by Rangie

Hefty/strong cases, max weight 80lbs.

First thought was CORDITE, 60 Tins, but that's hardly edible!!!

Spec for COMPO, 60 Tins, a form of Ration Crate? I thought the 14-man crate but 60 into 14 dosen't really go!!

Alec.

Hmm, start your breakfast with a bang? Nope

Unless you've been crafty with the tippex, there is space for cornflower, see how I resisted the temptation to list every known food stuff beginning with C :D

too late, well done Richard

Ah well that's what comes of being a gentlemen Bernard:D

But your "60 tins" was well deduced.

Thanks Clive,

I came in late on this one, Bernard's guess on tins, made me work out the weight and Cond. Milk was a pure guess, could have been tinned carrots !

and ever modest. I thought you were going to tease me along your theory that when someone gets very close i go all quiet. The delay was a delivery of hay, a phone call & then realising I needed to scan the answer.

Yes you are right there is often someone who gives a key answer that triggers the final answer for someone else. I've just looked in my book & actually there seem to be no specifications for carrots.

As an aside. Perhaps they didn't have tinned carrots in those days. I noticed on the TV Victorian Farm they picked carrots that would last 4 months to see them through the winter. Why is it that most carrots are wet these days? They only last a few days. Looking in the supermarket yesterday I saw one bag of wet carrots came from the USA & next to them some more wet ones from Israel. Ridiculous, so I bought some tins of British carrots that will last me through the winter if need be :D

Two of us were doing our day job in a huge field of carrots (not field of huge carrots) which was being harvested. Come 4pm the old boys on the harvester and trailer tractors locked up their mounts next to us and wandered 100 yds down the field. They then proceeded to fill a carrier bag each with carrots and wandered back past us and on to the farmyard.

I turned to my colleague who was well versed in country ways and asked 'Now why do you suppose they walked all the way back there to fill their bags?"

He replied " Well I guess if you've lived on nothing but carrots for two weeks, you'd get a bit fussy too" :-X

Yes & I bet those carrots lasted a lot longer than the ones we have to buy in shops. I suspect ours are frozen to some extent "to keep them fresh" but has the obviously unwanted side effect of not lasting very long?;)