Halley restoration

DAN THE STEAM

Hi ian it was nice to see you yesterday i was woundering how you got on with the tyres the forklift is a brill invetion and cant imagine life without one your most welcome look forward to your next visit here is a pic of the patern now i finished it and now ready to go to foundrieDSC05937.jpg

DSC05936.jpg

Hi Tony thankyou for that i would like to visit you and see your amazing work on the trucks jen is a vet nerse so she does some weekends so its tying it up so jen can see as well if thats ok.

i deff want the stearing box and an much apritiated thanks.

DAN AND JEN

Good to see you have some chassis numbers. Can you relate this to a year of manufacture?

The location of these numbers at the back of the chassis is interesting.

Perhaps its time to start a new thread listing the location of chassis numbers on early chassis. It could become a good data base to assist in identifying the lesser known makes.

Doug

GOOD MORNING hi Doug i dont realy have anything on chassis numbers it only after speaking to this chap that i managed to find it he also said the same number should be on the front axle but since thats gone i cant confirm the two numbers and it is the only number on it that seems the most likly so im hoping some one will know a bit more than i do on the matter it took a wile to read i had to get a scriber to get the new ond old paint and dirt out well im hoping its the chassis number.

DAN AND JEN

Hi Doug he said in the middle front of the front axle behind the rear spring hanger left side and if you have a body then also on a brass plate on the front of the firewall and on military halleys also painted on the side of the cab(both sides ) i cant comfirm my number with the front axle as i dont have one but its where he said it would be on a G type chassis not sure about other types but i will ask.

Iv now finished the front axle pattern the top of the kingpin tube pattern and the leafspring clamp pattern and now started the silencer ends pattern i have no plan with what i do just make any part that comes to mind it all goes into the same end product and it saves me making it later so tomarrow will go to foundry sorry no pics the camara went flat so wont see the parts for a few weeks.

Also the hand brake is fully working and now conected to the rest of the brake gear i was missing three fork ends so machined them out of two and a half inch round bar thay took two and a half hours each but did it and conected them up to the rest and also made the locking nuts for all the brake rods the threed is 5/8 BSP does anyone else have fine threads on brakegear and again no pic as camara flat when charged will take some pics.

DAN AND JEN

DSC05848.jpgHeres a pic of the kingpin tube with the casting on top that i have just made the pattern for the tube bellow will be machined from solid bar and is about three inches die with a flang underneath of half inch so three and a half inch with a two and a quarter ind inside die then a bronze bush top and bottom to an inside die of one and three quarter inch die if any of this makes any sence.

:nut: DAN AND JEN

QUOTE/ and also made the locking nuts for all the brake rods the threed is 5/8 BSP does anyone else have fine threads on brakegear and again no pic as camara flat when charged will take some pics.

DAN AND JEN

BSF on the Dennis, Dan...................

Tony

Dan,

My Dennis is earlier than the subsidy model. It has a number of BSP threads in places you would not expect (for example the ends of the half shafts).

I think BSF was introduced in 1908 so became fairly common in machines designed after this date.

Ben

Thanks for that so mine isnt wronge then phew iv droped off all the patterns to the foundry iv decided to have the front axle cast in S G iron and the have it anealed as it is alot more easer to machine and is also not as bad on the pocket as steel (not being skingy just dont have it to start with) .

i have nearly finished the fire wall that i started at six o clock well the first stage of it any way there is exstentions off the factory fit to exstend it will post pics when i get camara.

DAN AND JEN

Hi all i have now got three coats of paint on the bulkhead and drilled the holes in the front of it also the halley is now in our workshop in the dry and warm after living out side under a canvas:yay:.

i have now started making the gearstick and the bracket that supports it the bracket is a type of open gate but with each of the selectors in the gates and held in gear by a leaf spring against the gear stick will get some pics soon once i have found the camara.:angry

DAN AND JEN

Alos not forgetting the brake rod ends that i had to make so far a total of threeDSC05949.jpgi did think about making a pattern but in the time i would have waited i might aswell make them and get the job done.:shake: i cant sit still for more than a few minutes te he.

DAN AND JEN

DSC05944.jpg

DSC05943.jpg

• 1 month later...

Te He indeed ! Its realy nice to see some more photos. Clever way to stop it jumping out of gear, presumably there are detents in the gearbox and some system to stop two gears engaging at the same time as well as the sprung bits that you have just made. Any news of the front axle ?

Best wishes to you both, David :thumbsup:

Hi Dan,

Halley is looking great, good to see an update. What's the news on the front axle ?. Looking forward to seeing both the Halley and matador progress when I visit next.

Best Regards

ian (matador)