Halley restoration

DAN THE STEAM

:yay::yay::yay:Hi everone:wave: good news i got the castings today and there brill these are the first castings produced for this lorry since it was made 1910/1915 ish so a monumentus day for the project heres some pics :yay::wave:am going to start machining them tonight so will put progeress as i go. Hi shane thanks for that i try my best .ps thougt it was funny to put lots of faces

DAN AND JEN

DSC05461.jpg

DSC05462.jpg

DSC05463.jpg

DSC05464.jpg

DSC05465.jpg

Hi there eveyone i managed to machine most of the castings on friday and finished them off saterday and have had them fitted to the chassis and today machined the front crossmember that goes between the dumpirons so that has been machined from two and three eighths solid bar then turned down to two inch only had that size and turned down on each end to one inch then threeded inch whit the total lenght is two foot ten inches and machined over centers. now all bolted together awaiting paint then fitting also the springs will be here this week so will get that fitted as well then going to make the brush bar and brackets plus the front hooks and pins will post pics in time.

DAN AND JEN

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there sorry not posted recently just been struggling with the front end and trying to make sence of the drawings thanks for that thats brilliant thats just what i need now is the front axle to help get the chassis rolling thanks for informing me. looking at the pic i feel very fortunate that for the little parts i had it was in realy good condition and definatly the tyres i wouldnt like to think how much they would set you back its definatly spares rather than a restoration that i dont feel so bad about using it as spares for my one

regards

DAN AND JEN

Edited by DAN THE STEAM

A heads up for Dan.

There is a Halley chassis with what looks like a front axle for auction at Cheffins on 28th April

http://www.cheffins.co.uk/lot/-562115-vintage-0

thats a piece of luck. You should get that for £200 i would think, unless of course that DAAG chassis sale has skewed the market.

There was supposed to be a WW1 Saurer in that auction but I cant find it in the catlogue. There is a "Berlieut" (sic) at tank fest this year. Anybody know anything about it? Not the same vehicle misidentified and mis-spelt is it?

Tim

Edited by Great War truck

Hi Tim il hope the daag hasnt pushed up the prices becouse it starts pricing young people out the hobbie and then who will continue with preseving our unique heritage i try my best to keep up with the cost of things also some of the people on the rallyfields are young people intolerant and have no time for for yong people but thay forget that this hobbie needs to continue into the next generation.

I was talking to the auctioneer and he said the saurer had blown a gearbox and been withdrawn from the auction im not so sure about the other truck.

DAN AND JEN

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all iv been cleaning up the end of the chassis to weld on a peace of channel to get the chassis back to original length and i think iv found the chassis number i have tryed to find it before but with no luck but i spoke to a chap that knows abit about halley and he sugested that the number is behind the lefthand rear axle rear spring hanger so this time i scratched off paint and found some numbers so this is chassis number 1249DSC05928.jpg does anyone have any records of WW1 truck numbers that migth help to unlock its history

regards DAN AND JEN

DSC05927.jpg

you realy are making a lovely job there young feller, so nice to see a young man taking a very challenging job like this on, dont think thers much dought you are going to get there, good luck to both of you and have a long and happy marriage.

I will certainly be keeping an eye on yet another ww1 lorry build.

Hi Dan, it's looking great keep the photos coming. Thanks for your help today, made it home with no problems and the engine crane worked a treat to lift the tyres.

Thanks again to you and your dad

See you soon

ian201

Hi there broken arrow thanks for that beleve it or not i left school with no exam results as i left early and all the teachers thought i was impossible and thay were forever throwing me out the classroom for any excuse and when ever i brouht in a project ether made from meccano or metal thay took it away becouse thay thought i was a disruption i was even told that thay was flogging a dead horse but thay just didnt understand me and tryed to make me comform with the rest of the numptys and since school iv seen some people that was with me and there right washouts.

I enjoy what i do and am interested in anything that leaks oil or makes smoke and sparks.

Thankyou for the nice comments im hoping to have this project done for our wedding as jens wedding car im one for firsts so lots of work and not alot of time or money but that wont put me off persevering.

best wishes DAN AND JEN