Halley restoration

DAN THE STEAM

Hi there sorry about that when i took the picture the patern was not finished si i could fit it to the chassis rail to see what it looked like since the pic i have added about 1/4 of an inch to the channel part of the patern to build up the casting so that when it returns i can machine it to suit. yes i have used an contration rule and i went for 1 in 60 contration i plan to get it cast in S G iron rather than cast iron the contration of S G is 1 in 190 so there is a little alowance i didnt want to ignor your post and im always open to advice and like to here other peoples thoughts on my work thanks.

DAN AND JEN

DAN THE STEAM Said

...... Yes......

I am pleased to hear that, I used to be involved in casting and patern making in a previous life... I recall complaints from customers who had supplied the patern and no drawing, when the cast part had no machining allowance, a time consuming if not too expensive mistake usually.

We always made sure that the new boy got to measure up something he had cut on the saw using the contraction rule (not expansion.. I forgot the name) watching him turn the rule round and over and getting a different result each time was priceless.:cheesy:

Hi Steve no i dont have a front axle all the original front end exsept the wheels is missing but i do have drawings also the plain bronze bushes for the front wheels. im trying to ad a draving of the axle and it wont let me but anyway the front axle is curved inbetween the springs then gogles up by the thickness of the axle then if forged into a single round boss the there is a bearing pipe standing verticly from the boss like a ferguson TE 20 front axle with the stub axle in an L shape going in to it then steering rod pointing out the front

Front Axle

Do you have a plan for the axle? Will you try to fit something old and similar or do you intend to make one up? I know you could if you have to but it will be a heavy job! If you are looking for an alternative, how long should it be and how far is it between the spring seats?

Steve

Hi Steve here is a drawing of the front axle i was thinking of getting the basic shape profiled out of steel then welding large machined bosses on each end and working it that way alot of work but if something turns up that is the same or similer i would deff be interested did you have something in mind. there is a chassis of a halley under a living van with all the front end but dont know where it is i have a photo of it all i can say is its red chassis with green body witch looks quit new oh and its been lowerd at som point buy putting thr axle ontop of the springs and a block between them .i will try to get measurements of the axle for you

DAN AND JEN

DSC05293.jpg

DSC05294.jpg

DSC05295.jpg

Thankyou for that just to put things into perspective im only 25 im not sure what age people thought but i bet it wasnt that young i also have completly rebuilt my 2a landrover after it was written off by a lorry in six mounths two years ago then saved and restored a 1937 smith rodley 2/10 dragling after it sat in a local brickworks clay pit (Cattybrook brickworks bristol) after it sat for 40 years and striped and rebuilt a 30ft climax wind pump and built a 2foot gauge railway shunter and most recent am restoring a m75 panther motorbike for jen so on i am very fortunat that i have am very understanding feonsay also thanks to people like tim and steve gosling for there help as until tim sent me a picture of what a halley army truck looked like i didnt know what it was just that it was a halley so its all the help and encoragement that makes things like this possible

regards DAN AND JEN

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone finaly finished the front dumpiron paterns after about 30 hours each and lots of sanding and painting hoping to get them to the foundry in the next few days (cant wait) so whelst waiting for them im going to start looking at my options on the front axle and stearing gear so all little stuff from now onwards heres some pics of the two paternsThay were abit more work than first antisipated but got them done in the end will at some point start the radiator paterns :nut::nut:.

DAN AND JEN

DSC05369.jpg

DSC05370.jpg

DSC05371.jpg

DSC05372.jpg

Hi Tim thanks for the comment these are my first ever paterns and i couldnt have choose a more complex patern and with a core box but iv done it and the proof will be in the casting i hope there ok all that work for one casting as well but its what i need so thats what it takes. im looking foward to starting the radiator patern now i understand about contration and core boxes and all the angles it should be easyer in theory anyway.

DAN AND JEN

Dear Dan and Jen,

could you possibly update your profile page so it gives us a location in the world for you that appears in the top right of every post you make?

Congrats on her saying "yes". The fact that Jen takes part in this restoration is very cool.

Do we presume your family name is NEMETH?

What do you do for a living? Would you be a farmer?

Very impressive work done using some very admirable skills that someone has taught you.

You make me feel very inadequate about my lack of skills.

Wonderful thread, love reading it

Robin

Hi Robin sorry about profile or lack of profile im in south gloucestershire yes my family name is Nemeth after all the work i couldnt resist putting my name on them. Im not a farmer i do hay making and other farm work but is not my mainstream work i an a steam locomotive engineer with my dad we rebuild restore build new maintain locomotives mostly miniture ranging from 7"1/4 10"1/4 12"1/4 15" and 2 foot gauge steam and I C locos as well as restoring our own stuff that one of which is the halley. I have worked with my dad as long as i can remember and have learnt alot from him and the rest of my skills are selftawt by watching others asking qustions and just having ago i think that one of the resons im into this kind of stuff is the family are ex showmen and thay had steam lorry showmens engines and so on (Pruett amusments)i think that steam oil pumps around my vains and also that meccano played a big part of my understanding of all things mecanical a toy i would recomend to any child even with all the small parts and sharp edges. I dont like making people feeling inadequate theres stuff that i cant do but im willing to have ago and learn. Im very fortunate to have somebody who likes what i do and enjoys it with me and it cant be easy living with me at times and i think the world of Jen.

thanks DAN AND JEN

ps if you want to see some of the other stuff we do look at Joe Nemeth eng ltd enjoy

Hi Dan

Great stuff on your website! I would like to see a picture of your dragline. Don't want to derail this thread so if you like you can send it by pm. Have you made any progress with the transmission and engine of the Halley?

Thanks

Marcel

Hi Steve iv used patern makers varnish / paint when your painting it on you get high on paint fumes and it dries as fast as you paint but once its on the paint is as hard as nails its nice stuff to work with

regards DAN AND JEN

Thanks Dan. I thought as much but have always had trouble getting the stuff. I did find a supplier but they wanted to sell me a couple of gallons and as I only ever use a thimbleful now and again, I could never bring myself to buy it! I always use 'Bondaprime' a zinc chromate anti-rust primer. Not intended for this use at all but it soaks in and hardens the surface nicely before rubbing back.

Cheers!

Steve

Hi cel thanks I thought that it would give an idea of the kind of other stuff we do. I will sort out a pic of the dragline for you.I haven't sorted out the engine or drivetrain yet got to save up for it. Hi Steve iv used normal black paint for the print and not as tough but still ok for moulding.DAN AND JEN

Hi everyone we went to the foundry D.M.Foundries stroud glos with the front dump iron paterns something iv been waiting for since completed and thay seemed happy with them so hopefully next few weeks will get them back to start machining them CANT WAIT :banana:and also spoke to spring makers hoping to get them finished thuersday so all happening next big patern is radiator.

DAN AND JEN

• 2 weeks later...