Halley restoration

DAN THE STEAM

Hi everyone i was worried that the tyres wernt good enouth due to the tyre in places have started to delaminate on the edges well the rust has pushed the edges up but have not cracked across the tyre before striping the chassis i used it as a trailer behind my unipower forister to carry 2" 6 gauge railway wagons about 1 ton each and moved 5 of them about 4 miles each at about 20mph and thay didnt come off then so hope is a good sign.

I have tonight just fitted the last brake shoes so once iv finished the other rear wheel they can go back on the axle both springs are done just got to make four new axle clamps then springs can go on finish brake rods then thats all the back axle done WOOHOOO:yay:AND THEN THE REST OF THE 90% TO DO its not that bad realy

DAN

Don't worry about a bit of rust at the edges lifting the rubber. Our Dennis fronts were just the same. The rust dropped out very quickly but they are showing no signs of serious damage. When we stripped the rubber from the rear tyre bands they had rusted in each side by about half an inch but the majority of the width was still very well attached indeed and proved very hard to separate!

Steve :-)

Hi iv looked at my tyres again well at the mo im working on the project every evening im hoping to have a rolling chassis by mid next year front axle and so on.

Iv already started to do drawings to make the bumpiron pattern what is the usaul matieral to cast them out of or would cast iron or S G iron be sufficent for the castings.

I hope to repair the rear axle U bolts and fit this weekend we,ll see anyway back to the tyres my front tyres have got hard spots on them and its gone abit crumbly but not right across the tyre this is on both tyres i guess were thay have been stood on for a long time.

DAN

Hi all iv been in the workshop all weekend working with my girlfriend painting and machining we have sorted out the spring (U) bolts and in the end decided to make new ones instead of trying to repair the old ones that are also wasted away.

there made out of solid bar black round machined at each end then screwcut 5/8 whit put in the milling machine to machine one face on them to make them a (D) section then heated up and bent over well it tock longer than that to do but there done nowHoping to fit the springs one evening this week not far from having the back axle finished.

DAN

DSC04948.jpg

DSC04949.jpg

DSC04955.jpg

DSC04957.jpg

DSC04958.jpg

dont know if it wil be off any help but the unitas sold buy the scottish coop sociity was actualy a halley the only differance that i know of was the radiator and i think it was just the top casting which said unitas instead off halley the halley was manufactured in scotstoun north of the clyde and the unitas was assembled in scotland street south off the clyde from halley parts regards bob12

Hello Bob thanks for that do you know if the truck is still around and does anyone have pics of it.

iv just done a drawing of the front spring and all the measurements with the help of the grampian transport meusem thankyou and sent the drawing to the spring makers so look forward getting that from now on its making all new or finding parts. HELP NEEDED if anyone knows of any parts for halleys or know of a sutible engine to help the project i would be very apritiated thanks.

DAN

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike sorry for not replying sooner thank you for that thats good of you i would deffinatly be interested in seeing the article thats brill .

I have been working on the halley during the brake painting the chassis starting by rubing down then one coat of red oxide then a coat of gray primer and then a coat of green and also machined new spring hanger pins for the rear 4 off also new brake rod pins 8 off and also 4 new swinging shackle pins with snugs and oil holes so apart from the greesers thats the pins done today i reunited the rear axle to the chassis also with the brake wayshaft and brake rods and brake aduster next is to fit the swinging shackles and cluch and brake shaft brackets then start to make the patterns for the dump irons on a differnt note i proposed to my girlfriend on christmas day and were talking about using the halley as our wedding car so im going to crack on with it to try to have it ready in time cant wait to have the lorry finished also happy new year to every one on the forum from DAN & JEN

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL thanks for that we are thinking of some time in 2013 that buys me a bit more time to get on with the lorry and to find an engine well thats the plan anyway.

I will post up pics of the halley so far when i get the camera does anyone know of an ww1 period gear train and a suitible diff as im thinking on fabracating the gearbox casting rather than trying to fit any old gear box in. Iv got a drawing of the geartrain layout but no gear sizes or teath il try to post a diagram of the gearbox

DAN & JEN

Hi Dan.

Finding a chain-drive box will be very hard. However, you could use the back axle from an Austin 20 car mounted under the chassis with sprockets on the hubs. This will take the power OK as it is before the final reduction. I believe that exactly this solution has been applied to a veteran Commer with a slightly later Commer box driving the axle with a short shaft.

If you are going to go to the trouble of making up a Halley style casing then that would be wonderful and I guess that you could fit the Austin bits inside. Gears could then come from any lorry up to 1940 as they would sound right.

You are getting really adventurous now!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Another option for a gearbox and drive is to use the back end of a tractor with sprockets for the chain drive on the axle ends. The tractor parts could however be too low geared and require some reworking of gears. While not looking original the castings could be changed to represent more of what it should be like.

Doug

Another option for a gearbox and drive is to use the back end of a tractor with sprockets for the chain drive on the axle ends. The tractor parts could however be too low geared and require some reworking of gears. While not looking original the castings could be changed to represent more of what it should be like.

Doug

As with most lorries of this period, it is the transmission that will be the difficult items to find.

Engines survived as they had use once the lorry was redundant.

Chassis survived for many reasons,

Axles survived because of uses for the chassis, and for use on trailers.

Worm drive diffs are hard to find because they made using a rear axle difficult, an often they have bronze wheels worth money to the scrapman.

Gearboxes are very hard to find because they were of very little use after the lorry was redundant.

The tractor rear end has much merit, if you could find one that had hub reduction on the end of the axle castings, you may find something suitably geared. Just thinking out aloud, doesnt an Allis B have hub reduction on the outer ends of the rear axle?. The transmission would be suitably small.

Edited by 8_10 Brass Cleaner

Just thinking out aloud, doesnt an Allis B have hub reduction on the outer ends of the rear axle?. The transmission would be suitably small.

I was thinking exactly the same. An Allis B has hub reductions. Same goes for a Unimog axle.

Marcel

hi everyone that is a good idea i did measure up the rear end of my fordson standard N with thoughts to just that and the ends of the axle measure the same as the chain sprockets and with the option of diferent gear ratios and poss the option of an higher ratio diff on the fordson thats about 25 MPH the only drawback was the brakes on the trasmition most tractors rely on drum brakes on the rear axle or even a cross shaft in front of the rear axle the fordson standard N does have a transmition brake but any of you who know fordsons or driven them would have found out how awfull thay are. But asides all that it is a very highly likely that i will try to do something like sugested thanks keep the good ideas coming in lots of combined minds create sulutions thank you.

on a diferant note im working on the patern and its coming on well waiting for glue to dry so had a moment to read the posts

DAN AND JEN.

Hi everyone i was looking through my old pics and found some pics of when i first found the halley so i thought you might like to see what i started withas you can see the newness had worn off after being used as a goose house but before that a local vicker had live in it. Im not sure when it was coverted but would guess 1920 to 1930 mybe once a showmans wagon im not sure. We towed this down the road with a fordson standard after taking these pics and doing some slight repairs oh and chaining the front axle back on the turntable and still we got it home about five miles away without killing anyone so all good. DAN AND JEN

DSC03782.jpg

DSC03756.jpg

DSC03753.jpg

DSC03751.jpg

DSC03790.jpg

Edited by DAN THE STEAM

Have you used an expansion rule to get the dimensions for the pattern? I ask as it looks to be a fit on the chassis rail, the pattern should not fit the rail as when you cast this in metal it will shrink to the correct size as it cools......

You may have this all in hand, if so please ignore me:)