Guy Gibson's Dog renamed

woa2

The bit that puzzles me (if we are going to be so PC and pedantic) is that people are so alarmed at the naming of a historical fact, i.e the naming of the dog yet find it acceptable to make a film concerning men getting shot out of the sky and civillians getting drowned....

Its a strange world.

well said my thoughts trhu out the whole thread

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.....I supose I must be fair & have a word with my Two Siamese cats tonight. I had better take into consideration that their views on weather they like, or dislike to be called Pets. Simply MUST be impartially listend to and acted upon.

I feel this is only right & propper, & an honest & fair view aired by them. Will be carefully adhered to, when selecting a phrase that they will be reffered to as 'The Norm'. I really wouldnt want to offend them in any way whatsoever, & would be extremely courtious & keen to know thier points of view. After all, they are Animals & do have more rights than mere Human Beings in this glorious country that we are allowed to live in! :angel:

Now....where are those 'Cooking Fats'!!!....................................:laugh:

Animals have to much sense to care about such things. Anyway, cats particullarly Siamiese know their top of the food chain. Since when did a cat wait on you?;)

Ha,ha,ha! Great stuff Tony! I remember giving My Mothers Siamese a Worming Pill Many years back. We also had to wrap the little Bas*ard in a Towel because his claws were absolutely Lethal! Also amazing how he could do escapology movements!

Got them down him eventually, & I got some nice 'Battle Scars' from that Momentous occasion as well!

Clever little B*%$+^d!

Well, I had a long chat with them last night. & do you know what? The little Buggers TOTALY ignored me! How Rude!......:-X

In my 'horsy' days when I spent a fair amount of time assisting a local vet, the rule was no cat owners to come into the surgery. The battles and swearing were considered to stresful for the owners. :-D

Society & Culture_x50.pngAdam and Eve said, 'Lord, when we were in the garden, you walked with us every day. Now we do not see you any more. We are lonesome here, and it is difficult for us to remember how much you love us.' And God said, 'I will create a companion for you that will be with you and who will be a reflection of my love for you, so that you will love me even when you cannot see me. Regardless of how selfish or childish or unlovable you may be, this new companion will accept you as you are and will love you as I do, in spite of yourselves.' And God created a new animal to be a companion for Adam and Eve. And it was a good animal. And God was pleased. And the new animal was pleased to be with Adam and Eve and he wagged his tail And Adam said, 'Lord, I have already named all the animals in the Kingdom and I cannot think of a name for this new animal.' And God said, 'I have created this new animal to be a reflection of my love for you, his name will be a reflection of my own name, and you will call him DOG.' And Dog lived with Adam and Eve and was a companion to them and loved them. And they were comforted. And God was pleased. And Dog was content and wagged his tail. After a while, it came to pass that an angel came to the Lord and said, 'Lord, Adam and Eve have become filled with pride. They strut and preen like peacocks and they believe they are worthy of adoration. Dog has indeed taught them that they are loved, but perhaps too well.' And God said, 'I will create for them a companion who will be with them and who will see them as they are. The companion will remind them of their limitations, so they will know that they are not always worthy of adoration.' And God created CAT to be a companion to Adam and Eve. And Cat would not obey them. And when Adam and Eve gazed into Cat's eyes, they were reminded that they were not the supreme beings. And Adam and Eve learned humility. And they were greatly improved.

Edited by Tony B

Rather than change the name and codeword so as not to offend anyone why don`t they just bleep it out?

Perhaps we could have a blinged up chav labrador (or pit bull). tons of jewellery, ASBO, eminem haircut and trousers only just covering its backside. then the original name would have street cred.

We`ve got a campaign for racial equality but why can`t we have a campaign for historical accuracy?

I`m sticking with the old black and white film,,,, i`m sorry , am i allowed to call it that?

It is rather strange that the dog is to be called Digger, supposidly so that it may be released in the USA, when in fact the US TV and Film industry do still allow the Nigger word to be used in both a historical context and a comical setting. In recent years I have seen serveral US made films that covered Civil Rights in passing or as the central story and they don't hold back on using Nigger. The word was also used in the film 'Trading Places' and another film, the name I cannot recall, that had mostly black actors where they were calling each other Nigger. In recent years there was a US black stand up comedian who's opening line was 'There is blacks and there is niggers....

However in the UK it's just not used any longer on anything we make in the UK, the luvies are so **** scarred!

So I suspect its the UK film industry that is so sensative and not the yanks.

Haven't read all the replies but this was being discussed in work the other day. The general concensus was that the decision showed a distinct lack of imagination. They could have, for example, replaced him with a great dane and called him 'Bigger'.

Or paid homage to the airframe mechanics and called him 'Rigger'.

Or used a Hyena and called him 'Snigger'

There were a few others that I have now forgotten but you get the general idea.

Haven't read all the replies but this was being discussed in work the other day. The general concensus was that the decision showed a distinct lack of imagination. They could have, for example, replaced him with a great dane and called him 'Bigger'.

Or paid homage to the airframe mechanics and called him 'Rigger'.

Or used a Hyena and called him 'Snigger'

There were a few others that I have now forgotten but you get the general idea.

Erm, you missed a very obvious one - a tiger called.....

I'll get me coat.

• 1 month later...

The decision to not use the word " nigger" in the new dambusters movie is probably connected to certification. The producers will be probably be worrying that if they include it, it will mean they have to go for 15 rating rather than a pg, and this will restrict its potential number of viewers. got to remember filmmaking for film makers is a labour of love and a chance to tell a story, (not a documentry) and for producers its a money making enterprise and nothing more, they view anything that might reduce their return as undesirable and will put pressure on sript writers to remove/edit or otherwise neutralize the potentially offensive word.

personally i think anyone watching the dambusters and getting offended by the word nigger being used in the context its being presented in has to be a fairly ignorant individual who deserves the equally unpleasant epithet of pillock, moron or plonker.

This story has been going round for quite a while

Complete storm in a teacup for me I'm afraid. The name of the dog is so inconsequential to the story as to be laughable. In fact, the dog is hardly important to the story at all in my opinion and it could easily be left out completely

So long as they get the main historical facts right; who these men were, there incredible skill and bravery and what they achieved, and of course the oh so english eccentric genius of Barnes Wallis then personally I wouldn't care if they called the dog Adolf

Chris

Chris, the big complaint of a lot of us is that the films DO NOT stick to the history. While Blackadder goes Fourth is extremley funny and exquisite satire, it is NOT HISTORY!!!!!! Yet every time I attend a Great War Event, some muppet comes with the 'Wibble' comment (No disrespect to anybodys Avatar! (PC, thinking of others feelings etc..etc) A history teacher proudly told me he uses Blackadder to teach Great War history. He couldn't understand why I walked away crying and vomiting. Watch most films and there is the weasealy little phrase 'Based on'. :angry:angry

Not a new argument though. When Bridge on the River Kwai was released a lot of vetrans kicked off about it.

Edited by Tony B

hey i was in a historical film not so long ago where they had a saving private Ryan style scene complete with landing crafts set in the 14th century. Admittedly the landing crafts had oars but hey, hardly accurate. The point is that films are entertainment and so its not really fair to expect 100% authenticity. Annoying as it is I guess the new dambusters flick will probably be a good entertaining movie inspite of innaccuracies and pc line watching. On the plus side, when there is a big budget film that nods towards history the Discovery channel normally releases a few documentries on the subject, and they "should" be pretty good on the facts side of things. btw, did you know they are casting for the new "bridge too far" remake at them moment?

Edited by mitch

hey i was in a historical film not so long ago where they had a saving private Ryan style scene complete with landing crafts set in the 14th century.

Yes, I remember laughing out loud at that one!

Andy

Yes, I remember laughing out loud at that one!

Andy

the main bit of the naval landing was filmed in pembroke, the bit i did was in a massive tank at pinewood, I remember thinking, "that cant be right!" when i saw the landing craft, great fun shooting that though, got paid to frolic in the water and play war with blunt swords, rubber axes and floating horse poo whie wearing wetsuits under leather armour.