Guy Gibson's Dog renamed

woa2

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5301998.stm Two mistruths in the first couple of lines. As there were Australian's and New Zealanders, plus South Africans involved , who gives a monkeys about American PC. Actually when you consider the language in some of the American TV shows shown on British TV, I don't know wether to laugh or cry.

Actually what comes to mind is a few years back when British Soldiers were held hostage in Africa, by as the BBC insisted 'The West Side Boys'. A book by one of the soldier's involved states that this drove thier captors wild, their name for them selves was the 'West Side Niggas'.

Edited by Tony B

I have just seen an item on the BBC Website stating that Guy Gibson's Dog, Nigger, is to be renamed 'Digger' in the film remake of the Dam Busters, as otherwise they cannot sell the film in America.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-13727908

The dog's grave at RAF Scampton still has the correct name.

Political correctness gone made again :mad: just like B****Y Health & Safety :mad:

Hate to say this, but it seems to be the way these days. Can't say this, can't do that. I wonder what else will get changed, or "enhanced" for the audience benefit.

Must say I am disappointed at Stephen Fry (the Writer), thought he was made of sterner stuff, although he is probably working under some ridiculous instructions.

Anyway if it is being done for the benefit of the Yanks, will we see Fortress's instead of Lancasters? If you ask me, I think it's a disgrace to the memory of the men (and women) who were involved. A story like that should be retold as accurately as possible.

Biggest shame with the whole thing is they wont be able to film too many actual flying Lancasters, it will have to be computor generated images, which is never quite the same as the real thing

Woa! Are we saying here that just because the dog's name has been changed, the film will be a load of tosh?

Don't you think Stephen Fry would not have changed it unless absolutely necessary to ensure the film got made at all by accomodating the undoubted demands of the financiers? No doubt it will all come out in the wash.

I'm going to keep an open mind, and hope for the best - I can't see a dog's name spoiling the show! :)

B-17s? Ooh, yes please :D

An absolute shame that Niggers name is to be changed.

I used to edit a magazine. One of my editorials was about the untruth then being told in Texas schools about the battle of the Alamo, because the authorities didn't want to upset the large Mexican population. The thrust of the article was that teachers should be trusted to teach children the truth, no matter what, otherwise what will children be told next, they will not know the truth from a lie, and will not be liable to trust anyone.

Political correctness gone made again :mad: just like B****Y Health & Safety :mad:

I suppose they will also give it a hi-vis-coat so it does not get run down, which will also keep the animal rights people happy.

Mike

the original film was on one of the BBC channels a while ago and the dogs name had been overdubbed as "Blackie" !!!

then it was on channel 5 unchanged.

which reminds me, i have not seen blazing saddles on recently! :nut:

Has anyone else notice as well. The Colour 'Nigger Brown' has 'Disapeared' from the English Languge? The term was not meant as a disparaging one, merely a discription, Im sure.

Yet another example of our Lilly Livered Tree & Bunny Hugging society 'Regulators' imposing their will on the VAST Majority!.........:undecided:

Also, Golly Wogs seem to be thin on the ground these days!....................:-X

I sit corrected, from Wikipedia...

In April 2007, a dark brown leather sofa set, sold by Vanaik Furniture and Mattress Store in Toronto, Canada, was labelled as “Nigger-brown” color. Investigation determined that the Chinese manufacturer used an outdated version of Kingsoft's Chinese-to-English translation software for writing the tags; it translated the Chinese “dark-brown” characters to “Nigger-brown”, and neither the Canadian supplier nor the store owner had noticed the incorrectly translated tag; subsequently, Kingsoft corrected its translation software.[47][48][49][50] In Hong Kong English, the phrase nigger-brown was, decades earlier, routinely used in newspapers without racist connotation.

When my moms wedding was described in the local paper, the term 'nigger brown' was used to denote the colour of her going away outfit. I am also sure I remember a tin of shoe polish with the same colour. I must be very old :cry:

I've just been informed by the French resistance who wondered why I was laughing that Negre = Nigger = Dark brown and Tete de Negre = head of Nigger = Brown and also a desert which is brown with a white meringue filling representing the teeth, also Negre ren chemise which is a chocalate desert with a white shirt-custard.

I must admit I've never seen them on a menu...

None of this has any derogatory meaning but it is just as offensive here to call a darker skinned gentleman Negre.

I just looked it up and now apparently you have to call the desert Tete de Choco so it's not just UK that has gone politically correct mad! I just can't imagine anyone being offended by a dessert or dog whatever it was called!

Do we have 'ageism' creeping in here? I'll start complaing :angry

If you hadn't put that picture up with you posing in front of the 101 you could have got away with being 21 again! But as it is I have found the right sort of mobility transport for you .... any colour that you like as long as its red..... What a swine :D

Feel free to comment when I turn 40 this month

I've just been informed by the French resistance who wondered why I was laughing that Negre = Nigger = Dark brown and Tete de Negre = head of Nigger = Brown and also a desert which is brown with a white meringue filling representing the teeth, also Negre ren chemise which is a chocalate desert with a white shirt-custard.

I must admit I've never seen them on a menu...

None of this has any derogatory meaning but it is just as offensive here to call a darker skinned gentleman Negre.

I just looked it up and now apparently you have to call the desert Tete de Choco so it's not just UK that has gone politically correct mad! I just can't imagine anyone being offended by a dessert or dog whatever it was called!

You seem to have the same Dictionary as Jack.