mk6 cromwell

thanks but to be honest i've not done much, just buggered around playing at it, any praise should go to bob and the guys at his yard. i would have loved to have had the time but it's just not gonna happen and besides i've always been a great believer that "if in doubt sub it out" :D

cheers

rick

Just got back into the forum after a while away and I dropped in on you first Rick, nice to see the old girl on the way back to the land of the living! I remember watching a documentary years ago where they spoke to the Packard team who visited RR with a view to building the Merlin....there view was that RR hadn't got a clue about Production Engineering, each unit was bespoke! To be honest as you know I work in an very old british heavy engineering firm and the grasp of tolerances was patchy at best, right up to the 90s.

• 2 weeks later...

you're right alastair they certainly knew how to build them, the trouble is they aren't supposed to be exquisite engineering masterpieces, they're just made to kill. the russians grasped that idea but at least 70 years on we can look back and appreciate all those efforts. as it happens i was thinking just the other day whilst working on the fuel system how many hours it would take to build a cromwell and at what expense when compared to the cost of an armour piercing 88 shell . a sobering thought !

anyway on a lighter note here are a few up to date pics. the control hydraulics are now sorted and are ready for use this includes the clutch, brakes and steering tillers. amazingly everything was in great condition even the resevoirs were full of clean oil, sometimes the condition of this tank amazes me. i certainly think of myself as being very lucky to have got hold of such a good tank (it could have been much worse.)

Stockport road and tank 280512 002.JPG

Stockport road and tank 280512 003.JPG

Stockport road and tank 280512 004.JPG

Stockport road and tank 280512 005.JPG

Stockport road and tank 280512 007.JPG

• 4 months later...

been a while since my last update and things have progressed a little more since then. the engine compartment is looking a bit more crowded now and with any luck we will soon be starting the engine. the only big obstacle i can forsee will be the electrics but bob has assured me this is already in hand.

IMG_9995 portrait.jpg

IMG_9996 portrait.jpg

IMG_9997 portrait.jpg

been a while since my last update and things have progressed a little more since then. the engine compartment is looking a bit more crowded now and with any luck we will soon be starting the engine. the only big obstacle i can forsee will be the electrics but bob has assured me this is already in hand.

Thats looking very nice..

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching this come together and in a way I'll be a bit sad when it's completed as there'll be no more wonderful pics. But, on the other hand, I can't wait to see the video of it moving under it's own power! A fantastic job!!!

Originally, Meteor I and III were a green similar to olive drab when new, eu-de-nil was a rebuild colour. Sky blue became the rebuild colour, I'm not sure when, certainly by the early 1970s but I suspect Richard Farrant knows for sure.

Ah, Mr Barrell, you woke me up ;).

My only "proof" on the change from Eau-de-nil to Sky Blue was in an EMER covering Rolls B range engines. Without digging it out, I think the early B range units were Eau-de-nil then there was a change to Sky Blue around early 1950's. Guess this was a policy change on all engine. In an around 1974 I was involved in engine reconditioning in army workshops and most engines were Sky Blue when they came in, but I do recollect some very early Bedford 300 engines coming in for overhaul still in Eau. As the 300 came out about 1952, this will give some idea. I have seen new Daimler scout car engine parts boxed in 1954 and they were Sky Blue. What I would like to know is when did they start to use Eau-de-nil on engines?

Just a passing comment, you say Sky Blue was a rebuild colour, it was in fact the standard colour of engines from new in postwar A vehicles, Alvis, Daimler, etc.

alastair

the turret has had the damage on the roof repaired and is ready for blasting and painting.

the main gun on the other hand is without a doubt the biggest single problem i have, there just aren't any about and to make things worse i also need the recuperator.

if a gun hasn't turned up by the time it's ready to show i'll probably end up fitting a gun from a saladin or whatever comes to hand, which would look ok with the correct muzzle break fitted :blush: but don't go losing too much sleep over it as i've not given up just yet on finding the correct gun !

the big question is which gun ? do i go with the 95mm cs which is what the mk6 was originally fitted with or should i put a QF 75mm in which would make it in to a gun tank. i guess it will be a case of what turns up .

rick

I tend to think a 95mm would be the best option too, same reasons as Adrian, but as it is yours and not mine.....

As a temporary measure knocking up an externally convincing 95mm with counterweight would be cheaper and more straightforward than a 75mm in my opinion.

i could borrow adrians until he needs it for his cromwell restoration :D

Great idea, if you go for it Adrian you will get your very own injection moulded plastic chair and digestive biscuit pack (half coated) in the club house, interested? Also a gift card for use at Jacks stylist.