mk6 cromwell

Bob / Rick,

How did you fill the gap between the Charioteer ring and the smaller Cromwell one? It's all painted so I couldn't tell from the photos....have you welded in filler plates or taken the deck plates from the Centaur? Good work, goes without saying! Can't wait to have a drive...nudge nudge:-D

Thanks Bob, Not having seen it in the flesh I imagined they would be wider, there isn't a 'huge' difference in the two rings then, for some reason I was expecting them to be ~4" wide, silly me.

Question is Adrian, is this thread making your Cromwell call any louder from the back of the workshop?

adrian the rebate was filled with weld when the filler plates were welded in, which was handy as it saved us having to v groove the plates, as for body filler over the weld pits i couldn't say as i've not put any thought to it but if it's in an obvious place or particulary deep then yes but other than that i wouldn't bother.

alastair you are not alone in being surprised about the size of the filler plates, i also thought they would be bigger as the cromwell ring is 60" and the charioteer is 66" but this can be explained by the fact that the charioteer ring sits on top of the roof plates where as the cromwell is built in to it.

rick

adrian sorry mate my mistake, got my rebates and chamfers confused ! funnily enough i was at bob's yard today having a word with the spark and i notice the rebate you mentioned, the thing is i hadn't even realised it was there before. i would say we'll probably end up fairing it in with body filler as it's hardly noticeable.

as for kidnapping me, to be honest that will only speed up the restoration as i won't be under bob's feet so much which will leave him free to get on with it without anymore technical suggestions from me.

see you friday

rick

• 4 weeks later...

hi fellas

the cromwell's been put on a bit of a back burner while i got on with the task of trying to make a little bit of money so things haven't moved on as fast have they have been but we're back on track now so it will begin to move again. the besa mount is the main bit of restoration that's happened most recently and it really does make a difference to the overall appearance. i must admit i'm really looking forward to the next phase of the restoration as we're nearly at the point where the assemblies can go back on again and it will once more look like a tank :). there's quite a few pics of the resto that i haven't posted yet so i'll put those up now, as for the engine it has been rebuilt and i have youtube footage and loads of pics but can't get them on the forum due to me being a bit of a spaz when it comes to techno stuff but rest assured i'll get someone else to do it soon.

here's a few random pics that i've hopefully not posted before.

PICT3020.JPG

crom3.JPG

crom15.JPG

crom23.JPG

crom24.JPG

crom25.JPG

last few that will bring me up to date with the progress so far but like i said we should start moving on again now so there'll be more to follow soon.

the middle 3 show the traversing mechanism, the 2 silver ones are from the charioteer and the bronze one is from the centaur, although a similar shape the charioteer mechanism is much larger and stronger due to the added strain of traversing a 20 pdr gun

rick

crom45.jpg

crom46.jpg

crom47.jpg

crom53.jpg

crom55.jpg

Lots of photos to take in there rick, thanks, so I see this is a 'pull' thread rather than a 'push' one :D we have to remind you to post. Trouble is that when bob has painted it you will want to take it out for a spin, but he will tell you there is still months of detailed work still to go! I might just have got my chassis done when you roll the Cromwell out...:(

What is going on by the co-drivers door? Was the track guard corroded or was it modified for the charioteer? I see the new one leaning against the track.

Edited by ajmac

i've been a bit lazy with the updates but like i said we're coming to the good stuff soon so know doubt i'll keep on top of it more than i have been.

as for the track guard the old one was a little bent out of shape so bob had a new made, personally i would have straightened the old one but that's because i'm a tight wad and the thought of parting with my hard earned almost brings a tear to my eye :( but i know to trust bob and go with whatever he says.

rick

• 1 month later...