mk6 cromwell

• 5 weeks later...

we are spending a week on the Cromwell to see if we can get to the bottom of the mysterious engine misfire and whilst we are tinkering with the thing we will put new output seals and service the brakes in the gearbox and new hydraulic pipes in place of the flexi's that are in there now. should keep us quiet for a while :D

WP_20150710_16_53_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20150710_10_43_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20150710_10_43_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20150710_15_38_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20150710_16_32_52_Pro.jpg

good idea lauren I will speak to him tonight to arrange collection of the manual.

been an interesting day today.

finished rebuilding the brakes and new output seals on the gearbox as well as cleaning the gauze filter that strains the oil before it gets to the pump, it was surprisingly clean which was a good sign.

then removed the left hand rad and fan assy to aid fitting the new hydraulic lines. on closer inspection the fan belts were knackered and the belt tensioner was seized this is now fixed. we also found an oil leak from the clutch slave cylinder whilst pressure testing the hydraulic system. we'll have a bash at that tomorrow.

WP_20150711_16_47_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20150711_13_05_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20150711_16_45_31_Pro.jpg

cracking on with it again today, although a little slower than usual (hangover)

cleaned and refitted the vehicle brakes, painted the gearbox (twice), fitted an insulating sleeve over the fuel lines and sorted the clutch slave. tomorrow we'll put it all back together and run it up.

the gearbox got painted with American olive drab by mistake while I was not in the workshop but was easily rectified with a coat of british olive drab.

WP_20150712_16_49_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20150712_12_42_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20150712_16_49_17_Pro.jpg

put it back together today and ran it up briefly with no issues. will do a road test tomorrow to see if the engine is still playing up under load when it's hot and see if we have brakes, clutch and steering. feels good on the tiller and pedals so hopefully it will be fine.

i'll put some pics up tomorrow

did a test drive today and still had a misfire from the engine under load but seemed better and definitely runs cooler with the new belts fitted, bit more work required but will keep plodding on with it.

alastair refreshments are always welcome (foster's) :thumbsup:

sorry no pics I keep forgetting. the tank is ready for war and peace and is going on the low loader at 5am tomorrow.

I did a small local show at the weekend with the Cromwell which was great and got to meet a Normandy veteran that operated the grant CDL before moving on to ram kangaroo's . a very interesting chap to speak to indeed. he didn't drive the Cromwell while in the service but had nothing but praise for the crusader and nothing but scorn for the covenanter, which is about the norm. i'll have to put a crusader on my wish list :)

anyway if anyone reading this is going to the show come over to the tank museum section and say hello.

rick

thanks adrian

lance the tank's looking quite good. we worked late last night to get the rear valances on and finished 5 periscope rain covers today which I will take down and fit tomorrow. i'll get some pics up soon.

rick