Sunday-Weymouth! 2012.

unless anything has changed I think you will find the dates are already set as the 23rd and 24th of june 2012,at least I hope thats right otherwise I will get very lonely on the campsite

Nigel

Thats right!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jack

Thats fantastic news well done matey!!

Please can you count the Bren carrier in again. I am still getting ribbed about my cornering. !! Ha ha!!

If it's half as good as last time I'll still be there and I promise my passengers will be period dressed.

P.S How far is Weymouth from MN and how long will that take?

Love you Barry!!

The distance is around 15 miles there and 15 miles back :-D

sorry about the spelling mistake Jack I was rushing ,does the limit of 87 vehicles include bikes?

I think they work on 87 MV's in total but I seem to recall that I always acount this amount and about 10 bikes!

Hi Jack, thought I`d better ask sooner rather than later, regarding the number of bikes,I have a mate who`s got a Matchless G3L who would very much like to go, will there a limit of 10 or be a discretional amount ( is there such a word :readbook:) or take a list. As you can see, everyones heard what is was like last year and afraid of missing the boat:sweat:

I think they work on 87 MV's in total but I seem to recall that I always acount this amount and about 10 bikes!

The bikes aren't there as MV's mate, they are their to direct traffic! Honestly it's just a coincidence that they are all green and from WWII...

Hello Jack

Any room for a 1943 Austin K2 GS lorry badged up as Dorsetshire regt, put me right behind exocet's Dingo and it'll look great, 2 Dorsethire regt vehicles together, after all you need some British vehicles as we were in WW2:D

Colin

Filming 2011 Imber village 030.jpg

that does sound a very good idea but then I'm biased.It has to be said that Dorchester carnival this evening,was a pale shadow of last year and even the weather gods agreed.

I have to agree with you there! I was asked if I could help with the marshalling this year so I did. I left 20 minutes later as they didn't need me as 21 floats failed to arrive :( but everyone kept asking for the tanks to come back - I said I would think about it :wow:

Follks I have a meeting on Sunday with the Weymouth organisers so will know more then and will have the answers :D

As promised, I had a chat with John yesterday and basically it is up to me how many I would like to bring. I am off the opinion that we take all the armour and a small number of softskins for everyone to get a lift down. The reason for this is logistical.

Bikes I see no issues with so we can ride out with what we have.

I came up with a good idea yesterday whilst I was talking to Mike 'rocket man' Phelps. Tankers who want to go but feel the 30 mile round trip is too much then we could take the low loaders down head/behind the convoy and once Weymouth is finished then load up from there and head home. That may solve some issues for some.

What do you think tankers?

• 2 weeks later...

Jack ,in answer to your latest idea re Weymouth with the Tanks on the Sunday , i think its a very good idea to collect the tanks at Weymouth and return them back to camp on Lowloaders ,I have had a good chat to both Jim C and Adrian B in relation to track wear / mileage and i was worried that there was the potential for me to wear out my second hand rubber tracks in one weekend at A and E ,an expensive weekend !!! so i for one would love to drive to Weymouth with the M10 but be delivered back to camp on a lowloader .

Next question , whos lowloaders were you thinking of using and would there be a cost involved ??? but other than that im really looking forward to the weekend , counting the weeks down !!! sad but true !!

Hi Adrian,

I will get back to you tomorrow :)

In the meantime - how about two Dragon wagons at A&E 2012????? :wow:

that could be interesting crossing the bridge on the road into Maiden Newton from the campsite

that could be interesting crossing the bridge on the road into Maiden Newton from the campsite
May have to invite some bridging engineer reenactors down for the weekend :-/May have to close the tank entries as have three outstanding tanks that have asked to come so I will need to cap it!It is going to be something very special :-)

Jack ,in answer to your latest idea re Weymouth with the Tanks on the Sunday , i think its a very good idea to collect the tanks at Weymouth and return them back to camp on Lowloaders ,I have had a good chat to both Jim C and Adrian B in relation to track wear / mileage and i was worried that there was the potential for me to wear out my second hand rubber tracks in one weekend at A and E ,an expensive weekend !!! so i for one would love to drive to Weymouth with the M10 but be delivered back to camp on a lowloader .

Next question , whos lowloaders were you thinking of using and would there be a cost involved ??? but other than that im really looking forward to the weekend , counting the weeks down !!! sad but true !!

Hi Adrian,

Good questions all round.

The answers to the lowloaders is, depending on who has their own transport, is to bring them down before or after we arrive with the tanks. Then after we have finished Weymouth you can load them up and be on your way home - if you break camp in the morning - which would mean you wouldn't have to return to camp...

Does that make sense?

• 6 months later...

Ok folks - just spent the morning down at Weymouth with the Council with regards to taking the armour down to Weymouth on the Sunday. This is a like a dream come true if I could pull that off.

To show our hobby to over 30,000 people on the Sunday means a lot to me - after jumping through many hoops I am more than over the moon to say - SUNDAY IS ON.

BUT - it will work for some and may be not for others. We have no room to take lowloaders down - Adrian S I know this may effect you but I haven't been able to work around that for 1001 reasons. Mainly we have no room in the marshalling area.

I have manage to get room to take 25 vehicles down. So I have to make the decision of which to take. Of course the tankers will go - those who would like to and the Dragon Wagon if they so wish too. The rest of us - I will try and squeeze as many of us in the MV as I can or as the owners allow. There is nothing stopping us taking civillian cars. It would be wise to have a wrecker or two - just in case...

We will leave our campsite on Sunday at 08:00 to get to Weymouth for 09:00.

8am leave that means a 5am start for the cookhouse

:nut:

jack and a idea for the low loaders if they are driving the tanks down there surley the low loaders could be moved after the event if there is enougth softskin vehicles to move the drivers back to the campsite for them to collect the lorries and then go to waymouth to pick up the tanks if not enougth space in marshalling area before

Edited by David Ives