Trial/Experimental British Army Soldier 95 Clothing (CS 95)

wdbikemad

The British Army "Soldier 95" (CS 95 = Combat Soldier 95) clothing system was introduced around 1995 - 96 and is still in use today, although under replacement over the next 2 years by the "Afghan" MTP cammo pattern clothing.....

The CS 95 clothing underwent development and troop trials between 1992 - 95 and a fair few garments were manufactured specifically for these troop trials......

The CS 95 outfit was made up of a "ripstop" smock with attachable hood, ripstop trousers, a lightweight shirt and trousers, a goretex smock liner & trousers, Norwegian shirt and DPM fleece jacket.......however, the troop trial garments were in some cases different to the production items that followed.....

For example.....some trial smocks were made with the hood attached that fitted into the collar when not in use, and the lightweight shirt and trousers were fitted with sewn-on buttons rather than the tape-attached "no loss" buttons fitted to production garments....

The trial CS95 garments are all labelled "CS 95 User Trial" and are also fitted with a red-colour SCRDE (Stores Clothing Research & Development Establishment - Colchester) label............

I have two trial lightweight shirts, a pair of lightweight trousers and a smock complete with attachable hood...all with the red labels and marked "User Trial".......

I am wondering if any fellow collectors have examples of any of the CS 95 trial clothing ? If so, what do you have and what do they look like ??? I am particularly interested in the smock with attached hood (hidden in the collar)......!!!

PS - sorry for the lack of photos, but facilities for taking and loading any are a real issue for me at present....

Edited by wdbikemad

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Contract "0662" appears to be the one made by Remploy for the CS 95 "User-Trial" clothing.......I have a mint set of lightweight trousers and shirt, a second shirt, a field jacket and hood (both manufacturers sealed-patterns)....all are Remploy-made with this contract number.......still looking for the DPM fleece, Goretex liner and trousers, plus the other pattern of trial field jacket with attached hood......

• 4 years later...

My brother has a trials shirt, I think he picked up ridiculously cheap aswell.

Recently doing an archaeological hunt trying to find my half of the bunk bed I came across it

again as it's been buried amidst everything else he leaves lying around I discovered the savage

had cut the rank tab off the front which in itself I think is high treason but worse yet he'd

done such a bad job of it that it looks like where Jeremy Clarkson cut a piece out of James May's

car on the Nile road trip.

• Haha 1