What's this blue thing?

Thank you very much lads.

I was thinking it must be a Star Wars sort of thing!

Time to turn it green again.

The Centurians have nazi cross's on them and the rest have terrible paint jobs, so a strip down and repaint will be done.

I don't plan on selling them so a repaint won't affect their value to me.

Cheers,

George

Where and when were these photos taken? i see a Bren carrier in one of them!:-)

Colin

yep thats the Lone Star Bren carrier

R

I think he means the carrier partly in shot to the right of the AEC in the lower shot of the real vehicles not the models.....in post #4

Edited by antarmike

Hi Skint George and Niels v,

Question for Niels please. Is the AEC Command vehicle in the picture in the UK or Denmark? Skint George, Did you know that those AEC's (based on the 6x6 chassis 0854 used for the refueller and the Coles crane, I think) were actually built on your 'patch'. So the real 'blue thing' was actually built at Birtley, near the old ROF plant.:-)

Best wishes,

Mike.

Hi Skint George and Niels v,

Question for Niels please. Is the AEC Command vehicle in the picture in the UK or Denmark? Skint George, Did you know that those AEC's (based on the 6x6 chassis 0854 used for the refueller and the Coles crane, I think) were actually built on your 'patch'. So the real 'blue thing' was actually built at Birtley, near the old ROF plant.:-)

Best wishes,

Mike.

Although similar to the O854 chassis the chassis for these was the model O857. Most obvious difference is the radiator is angled back and mounted lower......

Hi George,

It's been a while since I was up there, don't even know if ROF is still going. However, the site is near there; it is the building which belongs to a company who manufactures metal garage doors. Whilst interesting, I don't think there will be any ACV's lying around!!

I am not taking credit for this knowledge as it was the 'great Bart' who enlightened me. There was an article on the AEC ACV in 'Wheels and Tracks' sometime in the distant past and as the AEC is a great favourite of mine , I remembered the info. ( I have two of the Dinky gems albeit in green).

Hope you're well and regards to all up in the North East,

Mike.

p.s. My wife tells me that, according to Wiki , ROF moved its Birtley operation to a purpose-built factory in Washington.

Hi Mike.

Your wife is right.

ROF moved a mile closer to me in Washington.

They build on the old Dunlop Tyres site.

The good thing about Dunlop closing was that all the old seats and tables from their social club were donated to a local classic car restoration/storage club.

Thanks for the regards, all our Northeast MV clubs are doing well and growing.

Cheers,

George

• 4 weeks later...