M16 halftrack help

happydayz123

Hi Enigma,

My HT reportedly came out of a museum in Belgium on out door display.White HT's were never used by the British.So maybe an odd stencil they had knocking about. There's no other British or American marking's other than those on the front of the vehicle.

cheer's

Stu

Thanks for the explanation!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

The following have been authorised for release. Stu seems very happy with his new 'horn push button' - at least, there are plenty of images of it! All ready for Christmas in his workshop, and i understand he's asked Santa for a new pair of trousers.

Ken

17.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Yes they were, though I don't think we had any M16s.

Aye, we did, Adrian. LAA units were issued with them very late in the war. The 15th LAA got 12 (4 per Battery) in mid-April 1945 and used them for the first time to cause unpleasantness towards what little remained of the Luftwaffe on 26th April.

They were issued "In order to compete with jet planes and fighters flying low" according to a letter from HQRA dated 10th April. The Regiment had been firing at numbers of Me262s and the M16s probably were very welcome. We've only got a couple of photos of them and they aren't very clear. They tend to be lurking in the background, like here:

Quad .50 AA half tracks.jpg

Hopefully the engine will go to the rebuilders next week.All the fuel & brake lines are done.Next job is the electrics,wish I new where to buy a wiring loom.Then the maxim turret,I'm not looking forward to that part of the restoration.At least iv'e got three turrets to make one or two good one's.

Cheer's all

stu

• 1 month later...

The engine rebuilder's phoned me today with the good news!!My engine has one bent exhaust valve,i need a new set of mains plus big end bearing's & three cylinder's need a re-grind & re- sleaving back to 40thou nice.I may need to re-write my letter to santa:-D

My new fuel tanks are ready to collect along with the cover's,and all the internal floor locker box lid's are now complete.just need to weld all the new fabricated hinges in place.Next major job is the maxim turret!!

cheer's all

Stu

• 3 months later...

Hi All,The HT project is coming on nicely,all the floor locker lids are now in place along with all the front seats.The newly made fuel tanks arrived today, along with the covers.The newly recored radiator is now been refitted.Ken's on with re-wiring the HT. The engine rebuilding's told me yesterday the engine should be ready to collect sometime next week.A good friend of mine has made all new seat cover's front & back.All the fuel tank pipes Along with all the brake pipes have been made ready to fit.Iv'e unfortunatly had to buy a new clutch assembly as the all one was tired to say the least.Iv'e also had a new exhaust pipe system made,by commercial & plant exhaust system's.There on our website www.ywe-event.info If anyone's interested in new HT fuel tank's,i can forward the detail's of the company i used to make by two.I'll hopefully get Ken to put some more pic's up later.Hopefully she'll be ready for the Elvington show in May.

Regard's

Stu

Hi Tony,she'll be ready mate apart from the maxim turret.That will be another 6-12months,but at least I've got most of the parts i need.Hopefully we should have,four to five HTs for Elvington plus an M4 high speed tractor.Would be nice to see your M8 there as well !!!!

Engine guy rang me today,saying engine should defo be ready next week.All i need now is something to put the engine back in. Any suggestions !!.A standard engine lift is no good,as it needs to lift the engine over 4 foot to drop it in.Iv'e sorted all the brakes tonight,so that's another job done.

Regard's

Stu

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...