Roof mounted trailer warning

Looking at several pictures of wartime Opel Blitz trucks, there is a forward pointing warning tringle mounted on the cab roof. Am I correct in assuming that this triangle would be raised if a trailer was being towed by that vehicle and would be lowered if the vehicle was operating without a trailer? Also, is there a name for the warning triangle?

Nick.

Hi,

i have always belived this to be the case and was still being used in the seventies but as for the name ?

Ashley

Looking at several pictures of wartime Opel Blitz trucks, there is a forward pointing warning tringle mounted on the cab roof. Am I correct in assuming that this triangle would be raised if a trailer was being towed by that vehicle and would be lowered if the vehicle was operating without a trailer? Also, is there a name for the warning triangle?

Nick.

I don't think there was a name for it, apart from the generic "Warndreieck" (warning triangle). They were sort of dark yellow with a black surround. From the 1930s , they were illuminated for night driving. Their use was dropped in the late 1950s with the introduction of new German traffic laws (Strassenverkehrszulassungsordnung and Strassenverkehrsordnung) (StVZO and StVO)

Thank folks, I guessed that was how the warning triangle was used but it's good to have confirmation. I'm building a 1/24 model of a 3 Ton Opel Blitz and this will shortly be finished, having the 'Warndreieck' in the lowered position. Once again, many thanks and I'll post a photograph of the model once it's finished.

Nick.

• 5 months later...