Striker Restoration very nearly finished !! Photos

PDonovan

After two years my Striker is pretty well finished (I don't think it will ever be completely finished !)

Had a very good drive today.... sounded and drove very well.

Full restoration in photos can be found on Flicker at

Paul

Hi Chris... Engine is fine. I have two of those very small "original" Headlamps... but the one needs a sealed beam unit...which seam to be quite rare and then very expensive !

Just been looking at your Mutt photos.. you do love a challenge. Can wait to see the finished item... I'm sure it will be superb.

Paul

Paul,

Those early lamps are also fitted to the Fox, I know how expensive the sealed beam units are. We've only had one go so far, but not got that many left in stock!

Are you planning any trips with the Striker this year? I shall have the Mutt at Beltring all being well, along with the Sabre.

Chris

Paul,

what a grand job you have done. A few questions and observations if I may be so bold, in no particular order:-

1 you were very lucky to have your vehicle at home to do the work, as most people have to pack up the car or truck and womble over to where their beast is stored to do work. You on the other hand, could bimble the few strides from the supper table to the garage or outside and work away on small chunks at a time, as that is how you seem to work. That is every hobbyist's dream, no wasted travel time.

2 a high standard of work achieved, very creditable

3 what is the provenance for the blue / grey floor colour in the engine bay and drivers area?

4 Nice GPMG, we cant have them here

5 what did you do about the drivers hatch assembly that broke its welds off?

6 I'm impressed that you were able to rob such a clean J60 take out engine from that mid engined Chrysler van, must be a rare Euro spec vehicle, most of those vans over here are front engined.

7 why does the flat surface behind the front side and turn lights have a light colour to it and not the same hull colour?

8 why did you deac the smoke dischargers, was it for less hassle or did someone pressure you?

9 deac missile is a nice touch, will you make a full set to display?

10 what are the caps used on the deac smoke dischargers, are they a later version?

11 what era did the Striker come out of service? Is the fire extinguisher a later one?

12 was this one of the vehicles that came from the scrap yard in Gloucestershire Wiltshire between Cricklade and Swindon, if so I saw it many many years ago when it was becoming the goping minging mess you so wonderfully resurected.

13 as per Sirhc's comment, where are the proper headlights, you had them on at one point!

Regards

In awe

Robin

Edited by robin craig

At £30 per unit I think I will keep hold of the odd one I have! Have to agree though, top class job, though the blue on the floor I suspect may not be the original finish - nice colour though. Now that you have moved it out of the garage did you find the canvas cover for the BSA 300W genset I bought from you?!

Regards

David

• 2 weeks later...
Paul,

what a grand job you have done. A few questions and observations if I may be so bold, in no particular order:-

1 you were very lucky to have your vehicle at home to do the work, as most people have to pack up the car or truck and womble over to where their beast is stored to do work. You on the other hand, could bimble the few strides from the supper table to the garage or outside and work away on small chunks at a time, as that is how you seem to work. That is every hobbyist's dream, no wasted travel time.

3 what is the provenance for the blue / grey floor colour in the engine bay and drivers area?

6 I'm impressed that you were able to rob such a clean J60 take out engine from that mid engined Chrysler van, must be a rare Euro spec vehicle, most of those vans over here are front engined.

7 why does the flat surface behind the front side and turn lights have a light colour to it and not the same hull colour?

8 why did you deac the smoke dischargers, was it for less hassle or did someone pressure you?

10 what are the caps used on the deac smoke dischargers, are they a later version?

11 what era did the Striker come out of service? Is the fire extinguisher a later one?

12 was this one of the vehicles that came from the scrap yard in Gloucestershire Wiltshire between Cricklade and Swindon, if so I saw it many many years ago when it was becoming the goping minging mess you so wonderfully resurected.

13 as per Sirhc's comment, where are the proper headlights, you had them on at one point!

Regards

In awe

Robin

Robin... Thanks for taking the time to write... I will answer your questions soon... just been a bit busy over the last few days.

Regards Paul

At £30 per unit I think I will keep hold of the odd one I have! Have to agree though, top class job, though the blue on the floor I suspect may not be the original finish - nice colour though. Now that you have moved it out of the garage did you find the canvas cover for the BSA 300W genset I bought from you?!

Regards

David

David....

No sign of it in the garage ! Not given up hope yet as the shed down the garden is in need of a good clearout. Can't believe It would have got thrown away. Paul

I'd also like to pass on my compliments far a hard job beautifully done.

Couple of questions.

1. Blue paint on the floor? Is that right? I never saw blue paint on the floor of any of my vehicles, but then all I ever saw was mud ... Or was that some sort of primer (I once used that shade of Hammerite on my Cavalier ... ), later covered with silver?

2. I noticed the early model Clansman bonedome and now my brain hurts. Maybe the same picture commented that there was an early pattern missile control box (or some such if I remember). Are these two items compatible with the late model spoked idlers (which I didn't even know existed before I visited this forum)? Not that I see it as a criticism: if it's all you can source, better an incorrect-pattern idler than a VOR vehicle. Likewise the red fire extinguisher. If it's what you have to fit to get it on the road, it's what you've got to fit.

I don't often pass comment on other people's restorations, because I don't feel worthy. But yours is awesome. Heartiest congratulations.

• 2 months later...
Paul,

Regards

In awe

Robin

Ok Robin... answers at last !!

1) Yes... Most of my previous restorations have been up to 25miles from home. If a CVRT would not fit in my garage.. then I wouldn't have purchased one.

2) Thank you

3) Hmmm.... the blue/grey bilge paint !! had a weekend to get the floors painted... left it late to buy some...and could only find that colour locally.

4) Not a GPMG... a stripped down BREN... will have to do for now.

5) Andrew Baker (Alvis Fighting Vehicles Club) did me a great deal on a complete cover... with hatch etc attached.

6) ... yes ... surprisingly we found another engine up front !! so the vehicle is still useable. The one in the front is a Mercedes engine... the Euro Spec Chrysler Voyagers are built in Graz.. Austria

7) Just painted the front side lamp support the correct colour (there were so many things to do during the restoration that only now am i getting chance to attend to the fine detail)

8) Just trying to avoid any hassle.

9) Yes... full set eventually ... and one that will pop out of the launch bin... just a few feet.. on some sort of hidden track !!

10) Rather not say !!!

11) Released in 1996. later F/ext

12) Not sure.... but a farm near Swindon was mentioned when I purchased it from Milbiz

13) Proper Headlamps being fitted this week.

Sorry its taken so long to respond... Take care

Paul

link to latest video and photos www.fullchat.co.uk

Paul

Sorry couple more qns if you dont mind...

1 Did you just use sandpaper etc to clean up the gearbox/ engine bays prior to painting ?

2 How did you refurbish the firewall - what is the reflective material used ?

3 Did you replace the captive nuts on the firewall or go with separate nuts and washers ?

Cheers

Tim

Tim...

The interior of the bays was surprisingly easy to do.... the original paint was mostly removed with a paint scrapper (stanley blade in a plastic handle).. then the welds and tricky bits were done with a wire brush (copper type) and Nitromors.

I then coated the surface with a "special metals primer" made by international paints (from local DIY store) Hammerite do a similar product. Followed by two top coats.

The heatshield was purchased of ebay 2m x 1m cost £49

there is some listed now... even cheaper...

follow this link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Shield-Large-2m-x-1m-Aluminised-Mat-New-/220666539009?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3360c02c01#ht_2517wt_1135

I glued it on with Evostick... looks good and works well.

All but two of the captive nuts were still OK !! I used nuts and bolts for these two... luckily they were in easy to get at positions.

Hope this helps

Paul

Thanks mate

Now that I have my final drive, brake band and rubber donut problems to sort out I am quite tempted to have a go at something similar in the gearbox bay at least. Looks great and you make it sound very simple. When I replaced my starter at weekend I was surprised how easy it was to whip out the firewall, seat etc, so I'm feeling quite inspired to have a tidy up at the moment.

There are not many of the captive nuts left on my firewall but I guess if Im careful I might be able to move them around so all the hard to get at positions are covered...!

Cheers

Timbo