24 volt isolater switch

having had a little battery problem on my explorer im going to fit a battery isolater switch to stop them going flat when some idiot (me ) leaves stuff switched on for 3 weeks does it go between the vehicle earth and the earth terminal on battery 1 or between the 24 volt terminal and the out going cable ?? andy

having had a little battery problem on my explorer im going to fit a battery isolater switch to stop them going flat when some idiot (me ) leaves stuff switched on for 3 weeks does it go between the vehicle earth and the earth terminal on battery 1 or between the 24 volt terminal and the out going cable ?? andy

Hi Andy

I would recommend a dual pole cut out that will isolate both pos and neg sides of the batts. These are fairly standard for Military trucks etc.

If you are using a single pole isolator then go for the pos (24v).

But you then have to remember to switch it off!!!

Cheers

Iain

My recommendation would be to put it on the negative to earth.

I agree. It also makes it safe when using a spanner to undo the connections on the battery terminals. It is so easy for the spanner to touch the chassis with dramatic consequences.

The exception to this might be if the battery is somewhere remote from the driver. This is the case in my Shorland & the access to the switched +ve supply is arranged to be within easy reach.

The bottom line is the switch has to be within easy reach of the driver in an accident or when an electrical fault occurs. I once had a loom start to go into melt down & was able to switch off quickly.

If only cars had such devices. This afternoon on the A31 near Ringwood I witnessed a car completely burn out within a minute, very sobering & frightening.

I agree with putting the switch on the earth side, removing the earth reference is always best. One word of warning - make sure that the engine is completely stopped before you open the isolator, otherwise you'll fry your alternator. They don't like having batteries disconnected while trying to charge them.

Andy

I agree with putting the switch on the earth side, removing the earth reference is always best. One word of warning - make sure that the engine is completely stopped before you open the isolator, otherwise you'll fry your alternator. They don't like having batteries disconnected while trying to charge them.

Andy

Explorers have generators not alternators !

I take it your explorer has been re wired at some point and it's origanal battery isolator switch removed:-( Or is it still sat in the cab doing nothing? I've just re wired my explorer an being an early one it had a set of breakers in the isolator box instead of fuses. They all work too and reset automatically when you turn the faulty circuit off thus saving fault finding time:D

I take it your explorer has been re wired at some point and it's origanal battery isolator switch removed:-( Or is it still sat in the cab doing nothing? I've just re wired my explorer an being an early one it had a set of breakers in the isolator box instead of fuses. They all work too and reset automatically when you turn the faulty circuit off thus saving fault finding time:D

yes its been rewired of sorts its a earlyish mk 1 but with a cummins fitted where floyd has lots of lecky bits in front of the passenger on the bulkhead i just have a wireing harness that has been modded with insulation tape is that were it should be ?

That box in front of the passenger seat is the controll box for the dynamo. Mine has been replaced with a "slightly"newer bosh regulator box. The early Explorers had the isolator switch in the bottom right hand corner of the cab behind the drivers seat.A Big cast aluminium box with a handell on the front with lots of wires all coverd in conduit coming out of it. Also has the inter vehicle plug on the top. Just had a look in the drivers hand book and can't find any mention of a battery isolator in the later contract explorers. the isolator is only shown in diagrams for the proper early explorers with the nice posh sprung tow hitches and the cosy double skinned cab with heaters:cool2: .....Like mine:whistle: