Vehicle NAMES and 'CAB ART'

N.O.S.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"here it is again........"

I have a version of the same image with the censor's pen at work (see the red marks on the rhino attachment).

Lots of markings on the back, including "out of focus" and that this was in prepartion for the attack on Carentan.

And to add another photo to the thread, here's "Carol", again an image editted by someone....

"Carol" on the side of the tank, released for pub 11th July 1944. Interestingly the photo is creditted as having been taken on 11th July and shows US vehicles on the road to St Fromond, Normandy. The Jeep with the crossed out markings is 2 /_\ and the D 1 1/2 is interesting -tome anyway....

Ken

Tank1.jpg

Tank2.jpg

A few more have emerged from the archive....

1st off, an M14/16 with what an M10 in tow, with the name Ant or Art on the driver's door. It's not very clear on the scan, but it is there..

Next 'Sue' according to the caption handwritten on the back, taken in Normandy 1944. Has the shipping data on the lower windscreen panel.

"Pauline" and "Bill" on a Dimaond T 969A wrecker, being worked on by German POWs. Caption reads "German POWs replace GIs. German PWs of the 1300th Labour Service Co regrind and reset the valves on a Diamond T 4-Ton wrecker. These men are utilised by the 3406th MAM Ordnance Co, US seventh Army" - note the position of the horns mounted on a piece of flat steel mounted across the two head lamp guards, the additional mirror arm 'stays' and the spot lights fitted to the two front door hinges.

Technically not 'cab art' but interesting i hope none the less. Cry Baby on a rifle stock. Image has the censor's red pen at work, but is of men of the 29th US Inf Div somewhere near St Lo, taken on the 19th July.

Captain (later Major) Bob Rawls of 80I - 305E with his jeep "Rita"

And last for now. "St Lo France. As a reminder that fighting men on each front are avenging the brutality of Fascists the world over, this self propelled 155mm gun, fighting the Germans on the Normandy front, bears the name Corregidor. The big gun fires its giant shell with a roar of smoke and flame in to the Nazi lines near St Lo". Taken 17thy July '44, passed for publication on 2th July.

Ken

Ant1.jpg

Sue.jpg

DT1.jpg

Cry Baby1.jpg

Rita1.jpg

Corregidor1.jpg

A couple of British ones. These are not very clear images to start with but Joyce and Jessie/Lydia.

I was looking through this lot for something else when i tripped over these. There are many more images of Brit vehicles with names on, but they are not clear enough to make out the names...

Ken

lydia3.JPG

HMVFAll.jpg

joyce2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Welbike which i have just received has some painting on the tank which i believe was done just after the war. He has painted some information about the bike and on the tank he has painted corgi. I believe he has confused the excelsior welbike the the brockhouse corgi but this is how it has been displayed for the last 40+ years.

• 2 weeks later...