MVT verification?

evening all

My MB is just about ready for an MOT and UK registration, and i was wondering what the deal with MVT verification is?

i went to my local DVLA and spoke to them about registering it and what documents i need, and they never mentioned a verification certificate. I then rung the DVLA helpline to double check and still no mention of a certificate.

Do i really need someone to come out and inspect the vehicle? or can i still register it without?

You need proof of date of manufacture.. that's usually what you need the MVT veification for. I've never needed it before as all my other projects have been UK MOD vehicles with release paperwork or I've had letters from Land Rover. We have gone down the MVT route on the M151 and waiting to see what happens.

Chris

evening all

Do i really need someone to come out and inspect the vehicle? or can i still register it without?

Is your MB is a recent import? if you have the title or registration certificate from country of import showing year of manufacture that is proof required for DVLA registration

MVT Verification is only required if you have no paperwork to prove the year of manufacture

Edited by Nick Johns

MVT Verification is only required if you have no paperwork to prove the year of manufacture

This is correct. Of course it needn't be the MVT, There is a list of recognised organisations that can provide confirmation of age of manufacture available from your local taxation office. Anybody who has done this will confirm it can be a tortuous process -- not with the MVT I hasten to add, my experience was good -- Terry Till and Dick Fryer provided a first class service -- it's the people at the taxation office! I was given a right old run around before a smart 14 year old "man" from the ministry in a suit came round with a torch to tell me where the chassis number should be. I suppose I should have taken a photo of him standing on his head in the engine bay and all you could see was a pair of legs and the bottom of his highly polished size seven shoes :nut: Bless!

I learnt from the experience though -- take time off work -- do all the running around in one day -- get a commitment from the man who is going to do the inspection -- leave the wife at home to deal with him when he comes to do his inspection -- he gets a cup of coffee -- she gets all the stupid questions -- I get a registration number. We're all happy! :D

• 3 months later...

Times are a changing, if you are involved in restoration works, particularly with the likes of a Jeep, do your homework on what you can and cannot do before registering. For example, if you fit a new body you will not qualify for a date related number, just one of the many advantages of membership of clubs like the MVT.

When I registered my Ford GPW I had no paperwork with it so I joined the MVT but they wanted to inspect it. where as Rex Cadman gave me a letter based on the chassis no together with some pictures showing the important bits (the cut out on the dash, blocks on the bonnet and rear box covers) and the chassis no as stamped on the frame.

My DVLA guy was a real pain to he made me sit out side in late November for over an hour then we had a pointless discussion about the colour after all green is green. Still he gave me the reg no so no problem.