Hello Everybody.

Hi,

My name is Brian Jobling. I've only just discovered this forum, even though I have had (until last November) a series 2a Lightweight Land Rover for the past 5 years.

Unfortunately, it was decided we needed the funds and it had to go! Luckily there was an outcry from the children & my wife (I think she secretly shares my passion) when it went. Within 3 days I had a new project - an 82 series 3 88" CL Land Rover.

I was really after another lightweight - but I'm discovering that my new toy is more interesting than I first thought. I didn't know much about the SWB CL before I found it and am struggling to find any info on them. I haven't had chance yet to write of to the RLC museum, but will in due course. It has been winterised at some point - with various bits of evidence remaining. Someone has fitted a hard top - but this will be converted back, as soon as I can find some hood sticks at a reasonable price!!

It's 'sorned' at the moment while I sort out a problem with the gearbox/clutch - and try and figure out why it locks up when reversing (the diff I think). It needs plenty of tlc - I haven't got any pics of it yet, but will sort that in due course.

I want to try and put it back to original as much as possible - I hope in due course, someone who has a similar vehicle may make contact.

Anyway, I think I've waffled enough now (need to get some work done).

Brian

Welcome to the forum,

The 88" CL was often used as a driver training vehicle within a depot unit. I know for instance that the Royal Military Police (RMP) at Chichester had a number of them on the books both in 88" and 109" soft top versions as driver training vehicles. Many a soldier learned and passed their test on them.

I say this as when you get your info back from RLC it may say RMP was the user but hesitate a moment before fitting blues and twos and MP boards and all kinds of adornments when infact it was a plain jane vehicle.

Regards