Old 40-50's RAF clothing and eqipment found.

Masseyboy89

Hi,

This may interest you. My grandfather was in the RAF during (Lanc. pilot) and after the second world war (instructor), here are some pictures of a handful of the things he kept and were found dotted about the house, boxed for 50years when he died.

enjoy, Simon.

Photo1427.jpg

Photo1422.jpg

Photo1445.jpg

I would love to hear your thoughts on these items, I have little idea what aircraft they were for, the caps are his, I believe all of the flying hats are also. Anyway...

There are a few of the jacket:

Photo1423.jpg

Photo1426.jpg

Photo1424.jpg

The Caps:

Photo1445.jpg

Photo1447.jpg

Photo1448.jpg

Flying hats:

Photo1444.jpg

Photo1440.jpg

Photo1439.jpg

Photo1438.jpg

Photo1437.jpg

Photo1434.jpg

Photo1433.jpg

Photo1431.jpg

Photo1429.jpg

Photo1428.jpg

Photo1441.jpg

Simon.

There are many other interesting things he collected in his travels that are not RAF/army related, We also have several uniforms and medals of his. There are some great slides and photographs which I wasn't able to locate today, upstairs I also have several flying maps he saved when a lot of kit was destroyed, Simon.

Very interesting items.

The leather jacket looks a bit dry.

Treat it with body lotion or what you use yourself after having a sunburn.

Grease repels water, lotion moisturises.

Edited by Enigma

Hi,

I thought that when I brought it out of hibernation, It's a shame, I believe it should be in the hands of a avid collector or museum for others to enjoy and appreciate, hence the post. My father refuses to let any of it go, so it just sits in boxes in storage.

I thought about using neatsfoot oil or lanolin? I studied leather working as a part time course a few years ago and the guy there used to say 'use the nearest oil that was in the hide before the animal died' saying that a lot of 'leather treatments' actually deteriorate the leather faster, making it soft and flexible but ultimately weakening it by rotting it slowly. However, that is new leather in good condition, I have never really dealt with old leather, I vaguely remember something old being brought in, and him suggesting the same as you, so I think I will give it a try before it fossilises!

Cheers, Simon.

Hi,

I thought that when I brought it out of hibernation, It's a shame, I believe it should be in the hands of a avid collector or museum for others to enjoy and appreciate, hence the post. My father refuses to let any of it go, so it just sits in boxes in storage.

I thought about using neatsfoot oil or lanolin? I studied leather working as a part time course a few years ago and the guy there used to say 'use the nearest oil that was in the hide before the animal died' saying that a lot of 'leather treatments' actually deteriorate the leather faster, making it soft and flexible but ultimately weakening it by rotting it slowly. However, that is new leather in good condition, I have never really dealt with old leather, I vaguely remember something old being brought in, and him suggesting the same as you, so I think I will give it a try before it fossilises!

Cheers, Simon.

I did a workshop about museum conservation (about 1-2 years ago).

They gave the bodylotion/aftersun advice.

Hi MB89,

the size may be of a deterrant but on my german ww2 leather liners i usually apply very sparingly Vasaline to the leather and rub in to material. some times the leather may darken if you are heavy handed ......but returns to its natural fairly quickly.

Ashley

Hi Simon

What a fantastic collection and the fact that you know who's gear it was along with the family connection is wonderful.

The RAF Irvin Sheepskin flying jacket in a gem. That looks to be a two-piece jacket. If you look at the back, it is made from two different panels on sheepskin and is stitched together with a narrow leather banding. As the war progressed and good quality sheep skins became harder to source, the number of panel increased from a single panel, to two (like yours) and so on, until I think I am right is saying at the end of the war some jackets were 6 panels! An expert could probably date yours based on this theory, but sadly my knowledge does not extend that far.

A person however who will be able to give you 'chapter and verse' on all of the flying clothing you seem to have is a good friend of mine in Essex, who has been in the Flying Clothing business man and boy. Although I won't give out his contact details here, if you would care to PM me, I will forward his details to you. I am not suggesting for one minute that you are looking to sell or move any of the items on, moreso, just get some good accurate information as to exactly what you have and some of the history behind them.

Thanks for posting !