REME Forward Repair Teams

scott9643

Very interesting thread about some very interesting vehicles.

When they were in the UK, how were they transported between locations? Did they travel under their own power (notwithstanding the comment above about front tyre wear), were 'tank transporters' used, or were they within the railway loading gauge?

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi Phil,

They didn't ! Mechanicaly there were no changes, not even to the winch. I am a little suprised by the references to front tyre wear. The extra weight of the jib when folded is entirely in the front axle but it is not very heavy (I guess 1/4 ton) which is not a great proportion of the standard load. All the stuff in the back is carried on the tracks so doesn't add to the front axle load. Of course when using the jib there is a lot more weight on the front axle but movement would be very limited and slow so that would not be a problem either.

Kevin,

They would be well within rail loading gauge. In service they were almost treated as medium size trucks, certainly able to keep up with a convoy as they will cruise at 45 mph if you don't care about petrol consumption. Track wear was not a problem as the rubber hadn't gone brittle then.

I should add that I have driven one of these halftracks (empty) on the road. Apart from having almost no cushioning from the suspension and of course no power steering it was quite fun. Did get sworn at though for drifting it round a roundabout in the wet. Sorry no photos though.

David

Edited by David Herbert

Kevin,

They would be well within rail loading gauge. In service they were almost treated as medium size trucks, certainly able to keep up with a convoy as they will cruise at 45 mph if you don't care about petrol consumption. Track wear was not a problem as the rubber hadn't gone brittle then.

David

Cheers David, much appreciated :)

so just the REME collection one and mine left then?

I think there were a couple at Bordon, one was in the SEME Historic Collection and another was gate guardian by the entrance to SEME. There is the one other that has been mentioned, not sure if it is still around, but it was used as an aerodrome fire tender at Headcorn some years ago.

I think there were a couple at Bordon, one was in the SEME Historic Collection and another was gate guardian by the entrance to SEME. There is the one other that has been mentioned, not sure if it is still around, but it was used as an aerodrome fire tender at Headcorn some years ago.

When I was in Bordon in 1982 to 1984 there were certainly two halftracks, both in the hangar. I seem to remember one was hard-top and the other soft-top, but don't quote me on that. I rarely had a camera during my service, so have few snaps, and the pictures on this site bring back a lot of memories. Thanks to all concerned.

In 1982 I donated a halftrack TM of some description to the collection, which I had picked up in 1969. At that time I was with 11th Hussars in Cachy Barracks, Perham Down, and they were about to amalgamate and move to Tidworth, with their halftracks being exchanged for 434s. A lot of Tech Pubs went in the bin at that time and it makes me weep now I think about what I could have saved.

Being a HQ Sqn B mech I only had one opportunity to drive a halftrack, and that only round the (very small) tankpark, but it was a great experience. The last time I saw a halftrack in action was circa 1971/72, when 10 Div Support Wksp FRT came to do an engine lift on a Centurion. The driver was an old mate from Arborfield (another ex-boy), and that's the last time I saw him. Where does the time go?

I hope my ramblings may be of some interest. Regards, Steve Gray.

Ashcollections example is the gutted Gate Guardian from Bordon.

Yes correct ours is the old gate guard. We have Headcorn's Salamander as well. On the question of modified vehicles, that have probably been stripped back to original form, anybody know of any SWD Saracens or foaming pigs? we have a complete foaming pig and a Saracen missing it's turret, apart from Bovington any others left?

When I was in Bordon in 1982 to 1984 there were certainly two halftracks, both in the hangar. I seem to remember one was hard-top and the other soft-top, but don't quote me on that. I rarely had a camera during my service, so have few snaps, and the pictures on this site bring back a lot of memories. Thanks to all concerned.

In 1982 I donated a halftrack TM of some description to the collection, which I had picked up in 1969. At that time I was with 11th Hussars in Cachy Barracks, Perham Down, and they were about to amalgamate and move to Tidworth, with their halftracks being exchanged for 434s. A lot of Tech Pubs went in the bin at that time and it makes me weep now I think about what I could have saved.

Being a HQ Sqn B mech I only had one opportunity to drive a halftrack, and that only round the (very small) tankpark, but it was a great experience. The last time I saw a halftrack in action was circa 1971/72, when 10 Div Support Wksp FRT came to do an engine lift on a Centurion. The driver was an old mate from Arborfield (another ex-boy), and that's the last time I saw him. Where does the time go?

I hope my ramblings may be of some interest. Regards, Steve Gray.

Its amazing 1/2 tracks were still in service in the late 60's.

Goes to show they were capable....or they were slow replacing them.

Edited by Enigma

Yes correct ours is the old gate guard. We have Headcorn's Salamander as well. On the question of modified vehicles, that have probably been stripped back to original form, anybody know of any SWD Saracens or foaming pigs? we have a complete foaming pig and a Saracen missing it's turret, apart from Bovington any others left?

It is commonly supposed that there were only two Foaming Pigs, 10 BK 34 and 11 BK 10

This is suggested by trawling through the BK sequence of Humber registrations.

In fact there were three. This was a FV1609A registered 32 BK 80 & was struck off to the Ministry of Home Affairs in 1958 for use by the Reserve Force of the RUC.

As the vehicle was struck off census it no longer existed. When it was taken back on census in April 1971 it was registered as 27 BT 90. It was rebodied & underwent up armouring in Op Bracelet.

After the rather disappointing performance of Foamers (1779.2501) it reverted to an APC role. I first saw it at Stoneleigh 25 years ago as it had no barricade ram. Someone had made one out of aluminium tubing but didn't realise that the top two bars needed to be spaced to allow the headlights to shine through, so these segments were cut off. If that didn't look strange enough a Mk 1 canvas was tied to the roof & a fluffy toy fitted.

The next time I saw it was with a different owner who sold it a chap in The Netherlands, it then went to Germany where it received some D-Day markings :rolleyes: then onto a serious collector who went to a lot of trouble downgrading it to appear as near as possible as a Mk 1. A few years ago the Pig was brought back to the UK.

It is commonly supposed that there were only two Foaming Pigs, 10 BK 34 and 11 BK 10

This is suggested by trawling through the BK sequence of Humber registrations.

In fact there were three. This was a FV1609A registered 32 BK 80 & was struck off to the Ministry of Home Affairs in 1958 for use by the Reserve Force of the RUC.

As the vehicle was struck off census it no longer existed. When it was taken back on census in April 1971 it was registered as 27 BT 90. It was rebodied & underwent up armouring in Op Bracelet.

After the rather disappointing performance of Foamers (1779.2501) it reverted to an APC role. I first saw it at Stoneleigh 25 years ago as it had no barricade ram. Someone had made one out of aluminium tubing but didn't realise that the top two bars needed to be spaced to allow the headlights to shine through, so these segments were cut off. If that didn't look strange enough a Mk 1 canvas was tied to the roof & a fluffy toy fitted.

The next time I saw it was with a different owner who sold it a chap in The Netherlands, it then went to Germany where it received some D-Day markings :rolleyes: then onto a serious collector who went to a lot of trouble downgrading it to appear as near as possible as a Mk 1. A few years ago the Pig was brought back to the UK.

Hi Clive " the Oracle" my foaming pig is 10BK34 chassis number 21034. its funny to hear what some people do with vehicles! My pig will be restored with all it's foaming kit.

I'm going to reply on the Humber Pig pictures thread as I don't want to cause an upset for hi-jacking the thread.

yes good idea they can be a bit touchy about that! and I guess the final consensuses is that there are only 2 halftracks still fitted up as REME repair vehicles, the rest have been stripped and rebuilt with a 50 cal on top and white star on the side!

What I would like to see is one of the 30 RUC halftracks issued in 1958-60. Afterwards they went to IDF & probably a few have now come back & are marked up for D-Day no doubt.

Another "wanted vehicle" for my collection an IDF halftrack repair vehicle with the atlas crane in the back corner. i'd love one of those.

• 7 months later...
Hi Scott,

At the time that photo was taken, 4 Fd were equipped with 55's towed by Leyland tractors but very shortly afterwards were re-equipped with Abbots. I had the very great pleasure of meeting up with three of the blokes in that picture a fortnight ago in Rotherham, the last time we saw each other was in 1971!

Have not seen that 1/2 track since I left 4 Fd in 68 to go to Plymouth. Nor the group of ruffians, where mr Piper the driver!! Ian Collins, ( I was the Tels tech)

Anybody got any pictures of REME halftracks in service with the FRT's. There was one posing as gate guardian at SEME for many years that didn't have an engine -- don't know if that's still there! The last time I remember seeing some was when stationed at 5 Infantry Workshops, Dortmund as a young squaddie in the 60's -- bet there are none preserved

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42567[/ATTACH]

hi scott I was at 5 inf workshop in vitten annen near dortmound from 1953 to 1955, I cant remember seeing them only the ones jn for repair, I was in the recovery unit we had a ward le france for lifting, look after yourself not a lot of 5 inf lads left. was you at dortmund after thy moved from vitten annen.

• 2 years later...

Hello. Just thought I'd pitch in with some notes I took whilst researching British use of half tracks in the Second World War. They were always considered substitutes for something in development - originally British Canadian wheeled APCs. With the advent of the FV600 APC series they were phased out however there was no suitable tried and tested REME vehicle.

National Archive - 623.4382(73)  Ordnance Directive HQ BAOR 24 Apr 1961

"Inter Branch Memo: Equipment REME Fitters

The Truck 1 ton Half Track accepted as the interim fitters vehicle until advent of FV434. The scale of vehicle equipment provided in the existing CES (code No.33585) is quite inadequate for the role these vehs. are employed. WO not willing to fit out more vehicles with 24v. MT Battery chargers as interim vehicles."

I trust this is of use.