REME Forward Repair Teams

scott9643

Anybody got any pictures of REME halftracks in service with the FRT's. There was one posing as gate guardian at SEME for many years that didn't have an engine -- don't know if that's still there! The last time I remember seeing some was when stationed at 5 Infantry Workshops, Dortmund as a young squaddie in the 60's -- bet there are none preserved

50106.jpg

The one in your photo from Portsmouth 1989 is part of the Reme collection at Bordon. I remember seeing it there a few years ago. Don't think it had moved in a while but it was sitting there complete. In fact I think it might have moved over to their public museum in Arborfield. Around the late 80's early 90's I remember seeing this one and a number of other vehicles from the collection out at shows like Portsmouth, Battersea, Rushmoor etc.....

Ed

Anybody got any pictures of REME halftracks in service with the FRT's. There was one posing as gate guardian at SEME for many years that didn't have an engine -- don't know if that's still there! The last time I remember seeing some was when stationed at 5 Infantry Workshops, Dortmund as a young squaddie in the 60's -- bet there are none preserved

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42567[/ATTACH]

These machines were so successful when used by the REME that they continued service well into the 70s, untill the advent of the hydraulic arm rendered it obsolete. I have a White M3 halftrack, it would not take a lot of work to convert........ worth thinking about?

Ray Ex-REME Germany 1956 / 58. (Hamm, 5 Armoured Workshops):kissoncheek:

:laugh:See my avatar!

Will try to find some pictures of half tracks at work, but to be really boastful, we never had time to sit around and have our photos taken!!

I did write a small piece about them on 22-02-2010, page 5, but unfortunately no pics.

Harry.

Just opened me brand new spring 2011 copy of "Windscreen" -- turned to page 14 and four great pictures of a REME halftrack taken at Larkhill 1963.

The caption says it belonged to 5 Light Regiment RA LAD. Two things, I've never seen a canvas top REME halftrack before --thought they all had a tin superstructure and I always assumed they were attached to Armoured Regiments, so did 5 Light Regiment have SPGs or what equipment did it support?

Love your picture Harry -- where and when were you at the time?

Scott,

The half track pictured was not mine, but I had one just like it. We were the FRG from 4 Armd Wksp, and the time could be anywhere between 1963 and 1970 ish. The location looks like Soltau training area, and yes, we did take our cars on exercise sometimes!

The track in my avatar is the standard photo used by REME museum.

Harry.

• 8 months later...
Just opened me brand new spring 2011 copy of "Windscreen" -- turned to page 14 and four great pictures of a REME halftrack taken at Larkhill 1963.

The caption says it belonged to 5 Light Regiment RA LAD. Two things, I've never seen a canvas top REME halftrack before --thought they all had a tin superstructure and I always assumed they were attached to Armoured Regiments, so did 5 Light Regiment have SPGs or what equipment did it support?

Love your picture Harry -- where and when were you at the time?

Ours was canvas topped in the 1950s (6th Armd Div Germany)

• 8 months later...

In the mid 1970s there used to be an annual MV show in the Maidenhead area. One time I went there was a REME half-track in attendance with, I think the canvas top rather than the steel version. I recall the owner saying that the weight of the A-frame meant that he could hardly keep the tyres on it. Was this a general problem?

John.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a canvas top belonging to 4 Field RA LAD 1967-ish:

Must have been walking around with me eyes shut in the 60's -- I don't ever remember seeing a canvas top one and going back to my previous post this one supporting RA, so what equipment did 4 Fld RA have? I'd be interested to know

Hi Scott,

At the time that photo was taken, 4 Fd were equipped with 55's towed by Leyland tractors but very shortly afterwards were re-equipped with Abbots. I had the very great pleasure of meeting up with three of the blokes in that picture a fortnight ago in Rotherham, the last time we saw each other was in 1971!

Jocky,

Your photos of the half tracks at 12 fld, was that just before they moved to 4 Armd?

Its just that the fellow reading the map looks like Rocky Reynolds.

Harry.

No, his name was Malc Ganner, I think he went to 15/19th Hussars from 12Inf Wksp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...