Jagdpanzer 38 T (Hetzer)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
How easy is it to have the road wheels retreaded? I noticed that a few of the wheels were missing tread/rubber.

It certainly is possible to re-tread the wheels and top rollers Andy, and this is the result, collected today..

The rubber is built up on the shot blasted wheel rim by winding on a strip of the right width, until just above the desired finished height. It is then cured in a steam oven to vulcanize it all together.

The final shape is then formed in a lathe.

Any size that will fit on this lathe can be done, this is the hind wheel off a traction engine.

A nice LandRover full :-)

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

DSCF4263.JPG

IMG_0530.jpg

Edited by gritineye
spelling

was it expensive to have done ?

Depends what you call expensive, it is a very labour intensive power hungry process, but this makes it relatively easy to do one off jobs as no moulds are needed, and you can specify exactly what you want.

Put it this way, I'm happy to be just posting on this restoration, and not paying for it! :sweat:

It certainly is possible to re-tread the wheels and top rollers Andy, and this is the result, collected today..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54209[/ATTACH]

The rubber is built up on the shot blasted wheel rim by winding on a strip of the right width, until just above the desired finished height. It is then cured in a steam oven to vulcanize it all together.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54210[/ATTACH]

The final shape is then formed in a lathe.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54213[/ATTACH]

Any size that will fit on this lathe can be done, this is the hind wheel off a traction engine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54212[/ATTACH]

A nice LandRover full :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54215[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54216[/ATTACH]

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply these kind of companies need r support or we won't have them in the future. Keep the pics coming, glad I'm not paying the bill either.

Have the road wheels been cut as well as the armour or is that an optical illusion?

Those holes appear to be blast or ordnance damage maybe due to time spent on ranges, other wheels have been obtained to replace them.

You may have noticed the square grooves in the rims, these where filled with narrow strips of rubber before the main tyre was wound on, the heat treatment bonds it all together.

As an aside, there was a set of steam roller wheels there that had rubber tyres put on them, a new trend which makes for a much safer and comfortable ride on the road, and a set of Foden wagon ones as well.

Rear rolls

Front rolls, on the left

Wagon wheels

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

Is the Saure engine mounted in an angel? It looks like one half of the block is pointed directly up and the other pointed out to the side.

Good question Niels, my take on why the engine is like that is because it is a variant of an engine built for commercial vehicle uses, which would include buses and forward control cabbed trucks, tracked armour was probably not uppermost in the designers mind, but it works well in this case.

In this application the engine is fitted back to front, clutch to the front of the vehicle. But when fitted the normal way round in a left hand drive bus/truck, being canted over to the right would make more room for the driver. As the ancillaries could be placed on the other side no access for maintenance is needed in the drivers seat area, if the starter wasn't moved it may have been got at from underneath. Makes sense to me but I may be wrong.

Edited by gritineye

• 1 month later...
Nice update Bernard , very interesting ! Are there any parts still on the owners Father Christmas wish list ? :-D

Original sealed NOS engine would be top of the list I suspect Andy.

Meanwhile hull repairs are going well..

Fuel tanks are being fabricated..

Random drive sprocket pic for no particular reason..

That's all for now folks!

DSCF4364.jpg

DSCF4366.jpg

DSCF4372.jpg

DSCF4370.jpg

DSCF4363.jpg

DSCF4368.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...