Modern British Radio Chatter

You cannot legal replay recordings of anything received from a radio (there may be an odd exception, but generally true.) , If you require "chatter" technically you will have to set it up and record it yourself, to represent the type of thing that may be heard.

It is illegal to tune into Military radio traffic, but if you "Accidentally " do tune into such traffic, it is against the law to pass on to anyone else what you heard. This fairly conclusively prevents you legally playing a recording of Military chatter.

As Mike says - very unlikely to be allowed to replay anything received live. I dare say you might end up on the wrong end of a severe sense of humour failure...

When I last recorded traffic from a British Army exercise we had an enormous amount of regulations with which to comply, including applying to the Home Office for a RIPA licence to allow us to disregard the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act. It's not at all straightforward!

Your best bet would be a compilation of YouTube / war films, with the usual caveats about copyright law of course.

Stone

For a few years I played in a Medal of Honor / Call of Duty clan. I tried to instruct them in voice procedure but it went over their heads in the heat of battle. We used Teamspeak, but istr there was also Roger Wilco or something which claimed, as someone has hinted, at adding noise to the signal for authenticity.

Load something like this onto a server, post the details here and we could have an hour's radio net chatter. Bags I instituting a fire mission.

I went to a Light Dragoons Regimental Association weekend a couple of years ago, took great delight in the Command Troop display and listened intently to the radio traffic coming through the speakers. It was only when Zero asked Charlie Charlie for the third time whether anyone had seen Zero Bravo who seemed to have gone missing that I realised it was on a loop.

I did have a cd sent to me with radio traffic for a land assault on a airfield, but I cant find it now!!!!!!!! :mad:

I seem to remember somebody displaying SAS dpv's with radio chatter going on, a Air/Ground strike if I remember

Mark

Hi Guys,

I am after some modern British Radio Chatter for my display. Has anyone got any either MP3 or on a CD, or know where to get some? I have had a look round Youtube, but can only find American.......

Cheers

Karl, With the input posts from forum members posted here. It would seem you have a small, but NOT insurmountable problem. If I may make a suggestion?

Get a few bods together & record a scenario together on a training session one evening with the sigs Pltn one drill night. It will square away a drill night & do something different for the guys! Write up a script & 'perform' in one of the hangers at your Unit. Or a spare room (I know they are in short supply at Dyke Rd!) let us know how you get on if you choose to go this route. As this would NOT be an actual FTX exercise & is Ficticisous. & it is in a Local area & NOT on a MOD Training area. I dont think it comes under any copywrite or any of that nature?.........:angel:

What era are you trying to reconstruct? If 70-early 80's did you watch the youtube film posted on this forum two three weeks ago? think 4/7th Lancers, started with a brief chat on importance of the radio, with very clear radio chatter. It would be a very good start to write your own script and record as sugested.

Just a thought,Andy.

Surely you'd deserve a medal for effort if you managed to hack into the Mil Radio Web for those on excercise etc as its all bowman (i.e. heavily encripted) innit :undecided: ?

Increasingly so, but a huge amount is still sent in the clear between 20MHz and 85Mhz. If you need something to happen quickly and somebody doesn't get the message because they've lost their crypto fill then you have a big problem!

Stone

Increasingly so, but a huge amount is still sent in the clear between 20MHz and 85Mhz. If you need something to happen quickly and somebody doesn't get the message because they've lost their crypto fill then you have a big problem!

Stone

There was a lot of debate in the 70s and 80s about how much might be sent in clear. In 1976 the rule on the contact report was to send the enemy's grid in clear because if they were listening in and the grid was sent in code, they would glean an opening into today's codes.

Then the early 80s it swapped on its head: combat codes are effectively one-time codes anyway, so there was little to learn by having a single grid reference, but if you sent their grid in clear, they'd know they were about to get the good news.

There was an unwritten 30 Minute rule. If the information would be useless in 30 minutes, the information might be sent in clear. But you'd have to justify yourself to the Regimental Signals Sergeant, who'd come down on you with the weight of the Regimental Signals Officer and the Adjutant. (And the adjutant's appointment indicator wasn't Seagull for nothing: the sh** comes from above.)

For your script...

Roger so far = did you get what I just sent you?

Say again = you what?!

Say again all after ... = I'm a deaf git, say that last bit again wouldya?!

Say again all before ... = Some pillock was talking while I was trying to listen to you. Say it again, mate!

Hello Charlie Charlie (number) = everyone on the group calling list that I just numbered, pay attention!

Contact, wait, out = I say, we just had a spot of bother with the blokes over the border, give us a few minutes to sort it out, eh?

Contact reports were sent in clear (for the original reason stated above by AlienFTM). Pretty much everything else went in BATCO, except code words, which were often sent in clear. eg...

"Hello Zero, this is Lima One One Bravo, STRAND operating, ACORN clear, BROADWAY ready, over."

Translation:

"Boss, this is one platoon, two section. The Main Supply route from Bremen is up and running, the bridge over the Rhine is now clear, and the alternate route to Hohne is ready to accept convoys."

Hope that helps ;)

For your script...

Roger so far = did you get what I just sent you?

Say again = you what?!

Say again all after ... = I'm a deaf git, say that last bit again wouldya?!

Say again all before ... = Some pillock was talking while I was trying to listen to you. Say it again, mate!

Hello Charlie Charlie (number) = everyone on the group calling list that I just numbered, pay attention!

Contact, wait, out = I say, we just had a spot of bother with the blokes over the border, give us a few minutes to sort it out, eh?

Contact reports were sent in clear (for the original reason stated above by AlienFTM). Pretty much everything else went in BATCO, except code words, which were often sent in clear. eg...

"Hello Zero, this is Lima One One Bravo, STRAND operating, ACORN clear, BROADWAY ready, over."

Translation:

"Boss, this is one platoon, two section. The Main Supply route from Bremen is up and running, the bridge over the Rhine is now clear, and the alternate route to Hohne is ready to accept convoys."

Hope that helps ;)

Roger...Roger!.........:D Will you be at Chatham this Sunday?

... except code words ...

Stop me if I have told you this one before.

(Out on VCPs in either West Tyrone (probably) or Fermanagh (possibly)).

Cast:

24A: Troop Sergeant 4 Tp B Sqn (Terry, a Corporal)

24: Troop Leader ditto (Ralphy, a Staff Sergeant)

Me: a New in Green Trooper fresh out of Catterick.

Hello 24A this is 24 PUFO over.

24A wait out.

How Terry, have we got any signals instructions?

wtf do you want signals instructions for?

I've received a codeword.

wtf! We've never ever had a codeword on the whole tour.

Well it sounded like a codeword: a word that doesn't exactly fit in context: a single word with no obvious meaning. Even if I knew what the codeword meant, I'd need to authenticate the transmission even if I did recognise Ralphy's voice on the other end.

So what was the codeword then?

PUFO.

Okay lads, let's pack up and flit off (something like that anyway: mustn't swear in front of civvies).

• 11 months later...